AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 12, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #10,141 of 10,196
That makes sense, just figured the other option may be useful if someone only/primarily needs an XLR cable for the Nighthawks
Absolutely! 😊

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #10,142 of 10,196
Are there any replacement pads for the Nighthawk Carbon? Mine are disintegrating and flaking apart. These are the most comfy pair I've ever owned, and I'd like to keep them around. I'd like them to not change the sound much at all, if possible.

I emailed AQ about replacement pads, but they didn't even reply to me :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #10,143 of 10,196
Jul 9, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #10,144 of 10,196
Are there any replacement pads for the Nighthawk Carbon? Mine are disintegrating and flaking apart. These are the most comfy pair I've ever owned, and I'd like to keep them around. I'd like them to not change the sound much at all, if possible.

I emailed AQ about replacement pads, but they didn't even reply to me :frowning2:

I'm an idiot. I didn't remember that they came with two sets of pads in the original box, until I decided to look at the original listing on Amazon, after checking your link. Thanks anyway! :sweat_smile:

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #10,146 of 10,196
Guys, I received today a DragonFly Cobalt from Headphones.com and decided to test it with my beloved but picky NightHawk Carbon. DANG, GINA! What a nice pairing! :beyersmile:

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #10,147 of 10,196
Guys, I received today a DragonFly Cobalt from Headphones.com and decided to test it with my beloved but picky NightHawk Carbon. DANG, GINA! What a nice pairing! :beyersmile:
I took the Nighthawks for a spin the other week, they ain't leaving my collection. Soooooo special. Kinda like Christmas! :)

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #10,148 of 10,196
I took the Nighthawks for a spin the other week, they ain't leaving my collection. Soooooo special. Kinda like Christmas! :)
Yeap! I totes agree. Mine are basically brand new, but the pads, case and headband have leprosy, ha-ha. I barely use them, so I have no idea why they flaked off completely. But yeah, I also find them special, and they are incredibly revealing. I use them like once every three months just because I want to feel that excitement and exclusive feeling again when unboxing them, ha-ha! They still have that weird smell!

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #10,149 of 10,196
Yeap! I totes agree. Mine are basically brand new, but the pads, case and headband have leprosy, ha-ha. I barely use them, so I have no idea why they flaked off completely. But yeah, I also find them special, and they are incredibly revealing. I use them like once every three months just because I want to feel that excitement and exclusive feeling again when unboxing them, ha-ha! They still have that weird smell!
So I got rid of the old headband and replaced it with a Beyerdynamic head pad, I was lucky enough to grab two pairs of OG leather ear pads and a spare set of after market pads for the Nighthawks.

It's like tasting a 10-20 year bottle of Tawny Port wine, a nice little port glass goes a long way.

Keep rocking on!

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #10,150 of 10,196
So I got rid of the old headband and replaced it with a Beyerdynamic head pad, I was lucky enough to grab two pairs of OG leather ear pads and a spare set of after market pads for the Nighthawks.

It's like tasting a 10-20 year bottle of Tawny Port wine, a nice little port glass goes a long way.

Keep rocking on!
The Nighthawks and Nightowls are a very polarizing headphone. Some people like them and some don't. I remember the precipitous
drop in value not long after they were introduced (likely from some poor reviews), that led to the used market being flooded with them.
I had been interested in the Nighthawk Carbon, but have a cap of $400 on my headphone purchases.. So when I found a new pair for
$160 minus the pleather case and extra pair of ear pads, I purchased them.

The first thing I noticed was that the midrange sounded like it had been sucked out. Equalization helped, but it wasn't
until I replaced the standard Audioquest headphone cable that I noticed the most significant improvement in the Nighthawk Carbon. The midrange really opened up allowing me to enjoy other aspects of the headphone such as how smooth and refined it is. The Nighthawk Carbon is also the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. It's definitely a keeper!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #10,151 of 10,196
Hi. Have you been using them right after shower (with your hair wet )? Getting wet could cause the damage and flaking.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #10,152 of 10,196
The Nighthawks and Nightowls are a very polarizing headphone. Some people like them and some don't. I remember the precipitous
drop in value not long after they were introduced (likely from some poor reviews), that led to the used market being flooded with them.
I had been interested in the Nighthawk Carbon, but have a cap of $400 on my headphone purchases.. So when I found a new pair for
$160 minus the pleather case and extra pair of ear pads, I purchased them.

The first thing I noticed was that the midrange sounded like it had been sucked out. Equalization helped, but it wasn't
until I replaced the standard Audioquest headphone cable that I noticed the most significant improvement in the Nighthawk Carbon. The midrange really opened up allowing me to enjoy other aspects of the headphone such as how smooth and refined it is. The Nighthawk Carbon is also the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. It's definitely a keeper!
It’s good to hear these still get some love. I do miss these headphones at times, they were among one of my favorites, I do have what I consider an upgrade to them the T1.3 (think Amiron Home/Nighthawk hybrid but more resolving) but the Hawks do have their own unique sound and sonic traits. Honestly the cables were one of the biggest drawbacks on the hawks especially the original where the cables were prone to failure. Ironic since they were made by a cable company. It’s sad they aren’t around anymore and we didn’t get to see any future headphone products from them as there was a lot of potential with future headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #10,153 of 10,196
It’s good to hear these still get some love. I do miss these headphones at times, they were among one of my favorites, I do have what I consider an upgrade to them the T1.3 (think Amiron Home/Nighthawk hybrid but more resolving) but the Hawks do have their own unique sound and sonic traits. Honestly the cables were one of the biggest drawbacks on the hawks especially the original where the cables were prone to failure. Ironic since they were made by a cable company. It’s sad they aren’t around anymore and we didn’t get to see any future headphone products from them as there was a lot of potential with future headphones.
I wish that Drop(Massdrop) would take over.
The entire polarization around Nighthawks/owls was caused by poor pairing (Nighthawks sound terribly paired with warm sources/amplification) or not enough power (Smart phone, except maybe LG .. is not enough )

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #10,154 of 10,196

Keep rocking on!
Do you have a picture how you replaced the headband? Mine are falling apart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back