AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #10,157 of 10,196
I really wish I kept mine. The look of the design was really nice! As for the sound, I think I didn't really give them a chance.

IMO the sucked out midrange made the Nighthawk Carbon sound uninvolving. So I can understand why so many people sold theirs. What amazed me was that the poor sounding midrange was (IME) due to the less than stellar cable the company included. I was pleasantly surprised to hear such an improvement with a new and inexpensive balanced cable. And I believe that if a better cable had been included in the first place the Nighthawk Carbon and Nightowl Carbon headphones would have been successful in the market place.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #10,158 of 10,196
Do you have a picture how you replaced the headband? Mine are falling apart!
If you go back a few pages, you'll find a whole bunch of us went through this problem. In the end, has to be done as the OG materials will literally turn in to dust and muck.

Get creative, let us all know how you go!

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #10,159 of 10,196
IMO the sucked out midrange made the Nighthawk Carbon sound uninvolving. So I can understand why so many people sold theirs. What amazed me was that the poor sounding midrange was (IME) due to the less than stellar cable the company included. I was pleasantly surprised to hear such an improvement with a new and inexpensive balanced cable. And I believe that if a better cable had been included in the first place the Nighthawk Carbon and Nightowl Carbon headphones would have been successful in the market place.
I agree about the cable - I really like Hart Cables with the NightOwls and Corpse Cable with my NightHawks.

The pads are equally important. There is a hybrid pad from Brainwavze that actually works really well at making the Nighthawks have some more mid range and a better, tighter bass. The Nighthawks on a high end system can have some of the best, full sounding bass around. Not punchy like Focal headphones, just full and excellent. Although even with the hybrids the midrange does not compete at high end levels, but it’s better than with the pads that AQ included.

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #10,160 of 10,196
Another interesting note about the Nighthawks is that when you first put them on, especially after listening to something from Focal, they sound off/distant but give them 5 - 10 minutes and the midrange does improve. It takes my brain a few minutes to readjust and then they sound great and I don’t even notice any midrange suck out.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #10,161 of 10,196
I really wish I kept mine. The look of the design was really nice! As for the sound, I think I didn't really give them a chance.
I loved mine upon first listen. They don't have not even 20 hours in over four years, so according to the manual that suggests 150 hours, they're not broken in.

I also never found them dark or with sucked midrange regardless of using the pleather or velvet pads.They sounded full, just without any unnecessary tizz or sizzle up top, but never dark or subdued.

It's just that so many people are parrots instead of having their own opinion. They read something on the Internet and just repeat it. 😄

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #10,162 of 10,196
If you go back a few pages, you'll find a whole bunch of us went through this problem. In the end, has to be done as the OG materials will literally turn in to dust and muck.

Get creative, let us all know how you go!
Exactly. The materials are extremely low quality and simply degrade with time regardless of storage conditions. They just decompose.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #10,163 of 10,196
I haven't listened to my NH for years now. I do wonder how they'd fare on my current system? Perhaps I'll get them out over Christmas.

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #10,164 of 10,196
I haven't listened to my NH for years now. I do wonder how they'd fare on my current system? Perhaps I'll get them out over Christmas.
Remember that smell upon unboxing them.....:stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #10,165 of 10,196
Dec 10, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #10,166 of 10,196
Another interesting note about the Nighthawks is that when you first put them on, especially after listening to something from Focal, they sound off/distant but give them 5 - 10 minutes and the midrange does improve. It takes my brain a few minutes to readjust and then they sound great and I don’t even notice any midrange suck out.
I remember other Nighthawk owners saying the same thing. I waited to experience what you've described but never did. This hobby is so subjective and no one hears exactly the same way. As long as you enjoy the Nighthawks that's what is important. 👍

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #10,168 of 10,196
In terms of cable upgrades for the Hawk/Owl, what are you all working with - copper, silver?

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #10,170 of 10,196
Anyone know where one can get new pads for these? I really like the cloth/alcantara? pads more than the protein leather. I just know they won't last forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back