AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 1, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #10,066 of 10,196
A comparison between the OG Hawk and Carbon or Owl and Carbon would be interesting, already have the Owl.
OG Hawk and Varvon exactly the se. Only difference is included pads. OG Hawk has hybrid pads. Pleather outer, microsuede inner. Carbon headphones come with full pleather and full microsuede. The full pleathwr pads have the same bass response as hybrid, but increase the treble. Microsuede pads have same treble as hybrid, but lessen the mid bass and sub bass. I have all 3 and have switched pads to get a feel. I now keep the Owls with pleather pads, and Hawks with hybrid pads to get the largest difference between the two. Owls naturally are more mid forward than Jackson, regardless of pads used

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #10,067 of 10,196
@Shungite Trillionaire indeed, however keep in mind that both NO Carbons and NH Carbons aren't night and day difference. On the other hand in order to not always try to solve the riddle which one is better I've got both of them :wink: Need to to do some listening with both again some time soon.
Would be grateful to hear your thoughts on the differences when you've had time to sit down and listen to both of them.

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #10,068 of 10,196
Would be grateful to hear your thoughts on the differences when you've had time to sit down and listen to both of them.
@cayne that is not a problem especially since I need a good listening session with Mojo 2 and both AQ cans. The thing is that you will have to wait for it a bit since I am away from home and have only Focal Clear MGs with me as far as full cans are concerned. Original Mojo and AQ NO and NH are sublime pairing IMHO, especially when you consider price tag of this setup. With Mojo 2 it is a bit more complicated due to DSP inclusion.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #10,069 of 10,196
@cayne that is not a problem especially since I need a good listening session with Mojo 2 and both AQ cans. The thing is that you will have to wait for it a bit since I am away from home and have only Focal Clear MGs with me as far as full cans are concerned. Original Mojo and AQ NO and NH are sublime pairing IMHO, especially when you consider price tag of this setup. With Mojo 2 it is a bit more complicated due to DSP inclusion.
Of course, no problem at all. Take your time!

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #10,070 of 10,196
That moment when you forgot you made the change , thought you were wearing Focal Utopia but it was actually AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon..the power of the mind

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #10,072 of 10,196
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #10,073 of 10,196
Hey all,

Just bought Nighthawk OG.

Are there any original oem balanced cables with 4-pin XLR around still? Ideally after 2.5-3m length.

Will be used with my Ragnarok 2 and Gumby A1. Hope Rag 2 wont be too much for it power wise.

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #10,074 of 10,196
Hey all,

Just bought Nighthawk OG.

Are there any original oem balanced cables with 4-pin XLR around still? Ideally after 2.5-3m length.

Will be used with my Ragnarok 2 and Gumby A1. Hope Rag 2 wont be too much for it power wise.

Cheers!
I think Nighthawk actually scale pretty well - not going to beat higher end headphones but will benefit from that extra power.

Not sure you’ll find oem xlr but there are loads of options in the aftermarket. Just need dual 2.5 to xlr (same cable as the Sennheiser HD700 if that helps)

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #10,078 of 10,196
Thanks very much
I bought my NH Carbon cable from Periapt in the US. Excellent. In fact, I later went back and ordered Balanced XLR as well as SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back