AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 2, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #10,051 of 10,194
Distortion differences are placebo, only fr response matter audibly. There’s no such thing as differences in bass impact.

The Nighthawk with a Harman EQ is all you need for perfect sound reproduction.
Yes there is. It's physics. Air is literally moving. You feel this with your ears with headphones. For a subwoofer, your house feels it and you hear things rattle.

Try to EQ an HE-400i to sound like a Nightowl. I'll wait.

May 2, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #10,052 of 10,194
I have a pair of Nightowls and they're great. I got a pair of Focal Elegias not long after and gravitated toward them mostly. Though the Nightowls are much more comfortable and I found myself coming back to them often. I do rotate between headphones honestly. I think the Focal is the "better" headphone all around if I want something more engaging. The Nightowls are way more relaxed and easy to listen for long periods of time. So they both have strengths. As do many headphones really.

So I was thinking about also getting a pair of the Nighthawks. ... Do I need another pair really? More importantly, are these two good to compare and contrast? Or are they too close to one another that it's a waste of money?
You can safely save your money in my opinion. Having owned both (and only have the Owls now), I feel the Owls is the better sounding of the two by a long way. The only reason to suggest owning the Hawk is if you want an even more pronounced version of the Owl signature.

May 3, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #10,053 of 10,194
You can safely save your money in my opinion. Having owned both (and only have the Owls now), I feel the Owls is the better sounding of the two by a long way. The only reason to suggest owning the Hawk is if you want an even more pronounced version of the Owl signature.
I was also thinking for spare ear pads and such :) I get nervous sometimes since they don't make them anymore.

I decided to hold off for now though. Given they are so similar, I think it'd be wasteful, it was just a good price for them. About half of what I paid for the Owls (which I also got used).

May 3, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #10,054 of 10,194
I was thinking about listing my Nighthawk Carbons for sale since I haven't been using them (or any other full-size headphones for that matter) but had an opportunity to WFH today, I forgot how much I love these headphones. I gotta find more time to use these. :)

May 3, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #10,055 of 10,194
I have a pair of Nightowls and they're great. I got a pair of Focal Elegias not long after and gravitated toward them mostly. Though the Nightowls are much more comfortable and I found myself coming back to them often. I do rotate between headphones honestly. I think the Focal is the "better" headphone all around if I want something more engaging. The Nightowls are way more relaxed and easy to listen for long periods of time. So they both have strengths. As do many headphones really.

So I was thinking about also getting a pair of the Nighthawks. ... Do I need another pair really? More importantly, are these two good to compare and contrast? Or are they too close to one another that it's a waste of money?
@catom I know the problem. The simplest solution is to actually buy both and keep them for a some time to get the idea about the subtle difference. Otherwise if you are seriously into this hobby and really like AQ cans you will be dying to know what the difference was for the rest of your life :wink:

You can always sell the other pair any time probably. I know I'm keeping both :)

Can it be treated like waste of money? Indeed it could be, but show me another purchase in audio world that can not have the same label attached, so if your budget allows it: go ahead and get another pair while they still are available easily.

May 3, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #10,056 of 10,194
I own both NightHawks (Carbon) and NightOwls.
When I first got both pairs (around the same time) I found the differences very subtle. But after a while they started to differ more and more. The NightHawks have opened up to a degree I no longer would describe them as dark, bassy and laid-back. Their bass has cleaned up and the treble has gotten pretty bright, actually a lot brighter than the Owls treble. The Owls were initially brighter and less bassy as the Hawks, but - and I am really not making this up - their sound developed the other way round: more bassy in time and less trebly. At this point I think I prefer the Owls, because they sound closer to what I loved about the Hawks.
The Hawks have become a smoother, more civilized version of the Denon D5000s

May 3, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #10,057 of 10,194
@catom I know the problem. The simplest solution is to actually buy both and keep them for a some time to get the idea about the subtle difference. Otherwise if you are seriously into this hobby and really like AQ cans you will be dying to know what the difference was for the rest of your life :wink:

You can always sell the other pair any time probably. I know I'm keeping both :)

Can it be treated like waste of money? Indeed it could be, but show me another purchase in audio world that can not have the same label attached, so if your budget allows it: go ahead and get another pair while they still are available easily.
Oh I have like half a dozen pair of headphones easily. More I guess. But usually reach for about 4 or 5 in the rotation or depending on if I'm traveling, etc.

I know any more is certainly wasteful in that regard. I love the headphones I have. That should be good enough and many people would consider it waste...but I enjoy the different characteristics between them.

So it's not so much a matter of wasting my money, it's a matter of _where_ am I going to waste it? Or where best to? 😂

May 9, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #10,059 of 10,194
My headband straps finally got stretched out to the point the bar on the top was resting on my head. So, I replaced it with the following Arctis 3/5 headband, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081S6B8HF/. I started by pushing a nail in and out of the spot shown in image 1 and 2. I then put the bar that holds the original strap with the short side and long side as shown through the hole. It's held in with some rubber/plastic that you can easily move apart to remove that piece. I found pulling the nail completely in and out of the hole helped break some of the fibers and after a few minutes of fiddling allowed one of the ends to push through the new band. Scratching the fibers the end was trying to push through helped move them out of the way and allow it to finally push through with some struggle. Then, just pushing it sideways and popping the other end through was easier. You can press the velcro against the fabric and it will hold to it better than what is shown in the photos. Adjusting would be moving the bar to another position.

Optionally, since my straps were practically unusable and the ends for it were falling off I just yanked it out breaking what was keeping it in. Then, using the tool shown I shoved my new band/straps through the old band trying my best to keep it from twisting or folding. Some smoothing and adjustments helped it look a bit better than in the photo. Doing so seemed to either stretch it a bit, or keep it stretched slightly so keep that in mind it may sit higher/lower. Both with and without the original band worked well. The leatherette material has already rubbed off on both my ear cups and the original headband so that using them is not an issue anymore.

Thanks again friend! Just performed similar modifications as you did (see pictured) and I can happily state that these birds are soaring again...on my head...appropriately! There's a healthy elasticity of the Arctis 3 headband that I like. I gladly second this as a solid replacement option for a failing NH/NO headband. #Nighthawks4eva! Woot!

Attachments

• 20220509_114636.jpg
    20220509_114636.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220509_114647.jpg
    20220509_114647.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #10,060 of 10,194
Just had some fun with my Nighthawks and Nightowls pairing them with some different dacs and amps...

• iPod Classic - Not bad but definitely thin sounding compared with the...
  • Dragonfly Red (and iPhone) - Better sounding than the iPod Classic but still not sounding full-bodied compared with...
  • Meridian Prime HP Amp & Aries Mini (Streaming & DAC) - Definitely the best resolution and they sound great but a little too full bodied at times, I prefer the Aries Mini DAC to the Meridian DAC but the Meridian HP Amp is definitely nice sounding in this round-up.

That said nothing could beat the sound of the Nighthawks and Nightowls on my Auralic Vega/Taurus MKII stack. Perfect balance of body and clarity. Really scaled well with the different levels of equipment.

Now this combo does not beat my better headphones (Elear/Utopia) but it was cool to see how much better it scaled as the equipment got better. Such a comfortable headphone. I really wish Audioquest would have continued along with the headphones and continued to improve the sound without messing with the comfort.

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #10,061 of 10,194
I own both NightHawks (Carbon) and NightOwls.
When I first got both pairs (around the same time) I found the differences very subtle. But after a while they started to differ more and more. The NightHawks have opened up to a degree I no longer would describe them as dark, bassy and laid-back. Their bass has cleaned up and the treble has gotten pretty bright, actually a lot brighter than the Owls treble. The Owls were initially brighter and less bassy as the Hawks, but - and I am really not making this up - their sound developed the other way round: more bassy in time and less trebly. At this point I think I prefer the Owls, because they sound closer to what I loved about the Hawks.
The Hawks have become a smoother, more civilized version of the Denon D5000s
Can somebody confirm this? Interested in a backup since my OG Nighthawk is worn down, most of the stuff I've read about them was that it's supposedly muffled, overly bassy and sometimes closed-in.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #10,063 of 10,194
Can somebody confirm this? Interested in a backup since my OG Nighthawk is worn down, most of the stuff I've read about them was that it's supposedly muffled, overly bassy and sometimes closed-in.
Not sure if you're looking for info on the Owls or Hawks. I can say that I have been running my Hawks straight out of a computer for a few years (they are my "at work" cans) and I still love them. I do not find them dark or muffled. A touch on the warm side, but plenty of detail up top. At home I use Anandas, out and about I use UM Mest. So if the Hawks were lacking in definition I would notice.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #10,065 of 10,194
A comparison between the OG Hawk and Carbon or Owl and Carbon would be interesting, already have the Owl.
@Shungite Trillionaire indeed, however keep in mind that both NO Carbons and NH Carbons aren't night and day difference. On the other hand in order to not always try to solve the riddle which one is better I've got both of them :wink: Need to to do some listening with both again some time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back