AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #9,751 of 10,196
So to get back to, you know, the headphones ... has anyone used these for gaming? Specifically console gaming and plugged into a controller? I believe they’re low impedance and should be fine but I also have a pair of Tygr 300R’s which are only 32ohms and they’re just about loud enough on controllers.

The Nighthawks have a slightly higher sensitivity spec than the TYGRs, so they're probably fine, but I haven't tried them plugged directly into a controller personally

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #9,754 of 10,196
So to get back to, you know, the headphones ... has anyone used these for gaming? Specifically console gaming and plugged into a controller? I believe they’re low impedance and should be fine but I also have a pair of Tygr 300R’s which are only 32ohms and they’re just about loud enough on controllers.
I tried mine out of my xbox controller, no issues with powering them at all

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #9,756 of 10,196
Sony MDR-Z7 MK1

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #9,757 of 10,196
One question, what other headphones Are recommended that remind you off these Nighthawks. When IT comes too really low listening fatigue etc..

In regards to very low listening fatigue of what I’ve been able to spend a lot of time with: the Sony MDR-Z1R, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3, and also the Beyerdynamic DT 48 & DT 480 (even lower listening fatigue than the Hawks). The Hawks are probably the cheapest headphone I’ve come across with super low listening fatigue outside the vintage Beyers.

There are a few others I’ve heard but they were either very expensive, required a very nice system/right synergy to have super low fatigue, and/or too rare to really be considered.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #9,758 of 10,196
In regards to very low listening fatigue of what I’ve been able to spend a lot of time with: the Sony MDR-Z1R, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3, and also the Beyerdynamic DT 48 & DT 480 (even lower listening fatigue than the Hawks). The Hawks are probably the cheapest headphone I’ve come across with super low listening fatigue outside the vintage Beyers.

There are a few others I’ve heard but they were either very expensive, required a very nice system/right synergy to have super low fatigue, and/or too rare to really be considered.

I Been looking at those Sony, gonna out them on the list. And i had Beyer t1 first gen. But they where Nice. I look closer at the gen3. I rally wanted borg of these models, Sony and Beyer. Its Nice too know they cause low fatigue...

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #9,759 of 10,196
I Been looking at those Sony, gonna out them on the list. And i had Beyer t1 first gen. But they where Nice. I look closer at the gen3. I rally wanted borg of these models, Sony and Beyer. Its Nice too know they cause low fatigue...

The T1.3 is even warmer and darker than the nighthawk but it’s more open and has more powerful dynamics. Technically an upgrade over the Hawks but like the Hawks and Z1R they have an unique tuning. It’s a bit easier to drive than the Hawks. Sounds very different than the T1.1 or the T1.2. The T5 3rd Gen may work too if the T1.3 is anything to go by, been wanting to hear one. The Z1R is a headphone I’ve been wanting for a while, had the chance to borrow one for a while and have been wanting one since.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #9,760 of 10,196
The T1.3 is even warmer and darker than the nighthawk but it’s more open and has more powerful dynamics. Technically an upgrade over the Hawks but like the Hawks and Z1R they have an unique tuning. It’s a bit easier to drive than the Hawks. Sounds nothing like the T1.1 of the T1.2. The T5 3rd Gen may work too if the T1.3 is anything to go by, been wanting to hear one. The Z1R is a headphone I’ve been wanting for a while, had the chance to borrow one for a while and have been wanting one since.

Appreciate the coment, But would you choose the Sony over the Beyer? Cause i am really wanting one of them.

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #9,761 of 10,196
Appreciate the coment, But would you choose the Sony over the Beyer? Cause i am really wanting one of them.

I haven’t heard them side by side so it’s honestly hard to say, they’re too far removed from each other to make any real comparison and I can’t say, I personally loved both headphones. I had a different system and other headphones when I tried the Z1R and I never compared the Hawks to it like I have with the T1.3. I just remember the clarity and the overall the body the sound had, the musicality, and how spacious it sounded as a closed-back. May say Beyers as I prefer the open-back design with velour pads for long-term comfort reasons as I’m someone with very long listening sessions due to gaming and the lower cost of the Beyers. Both are very comfortable though.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #9,762 of 10,196
I haven’t heard them side by side so it’s honestly hard to say, they’re too far removed from each other to make any real comparison, I had a different system and other headphones when I tried the Z1R and I never compared the Hawks to it like I have with the T1.3. I just remember the clarity and the overall the body the sound had, the musicality, and how spacious it sounded as a closed-back. May say Beyers as I prefer the open-back design with velour pads for long-term comfort reasons as I’m someone with very long listening sessions due to gaming and the lower cost of the Beyers. Both are very comfortable though.

They sound like what the Nighthawks can do, But maybe a little better here and there. But the midrange on the Beyer t1 i had was awesome, i belive the gen.3 has Even better mids...

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #9,763 of 10,196
They sound like what the Nighthawks can do, But maybe a little better here and there. But the midrange on the Beyer t1 i had was awesome, i belive the gen.3 has Even better mids...

Personally liked the mids, bass, and treble more on the T1.3 than the Hawks. The midrange is quite different than the T1.1. Like the Hawks they completely toss any mainstream tuning out of the window and went for something different. This is a headphone you should audition or at least make sure you can return in case it’s not for you as it’s tuning is unique. Since the Hawks are discontinued the T1.3 are probably the closest headphone to a successor of the Hawk. I think Nighthawk fans should give the headphone a listen or some interest.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #9,764 of 10,196
Personally liked the mids, bass, and treble more on the T1.3 than the Hawks. The midrange is quite different than the T1.1. Like the Hawks they completely toss any mainstream tuning out of the window and went for something different. This is a headphone you should audition or at least make sure you can return in case it’s not for you as it’s tuning is unique. Since the Hawks are discontinued the T1.3 are probably the closest headphone to a successor of the Hawk. I think Nighthawk fans should give the headphone a listen or some interest.

I certanly can adution it localy, that i am gonna try. I like the nighthawk cause i can listen fopr hgours on end. If i can not what is the point of a headphone. Good too know, beyer can make cans.. Thanks for the info

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #9,765 of 10,196
Managed to get a used pair of Carbon’s in excellent condition for £200 delivered so I’m pleased with that. Also come with a balanced cable which I’m curious to try as I was planning to pick up an ES100 anyway so I might as well try the balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back