AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #9,301 of 10,196
While I'm a fan of the Nightowls, especially at their current 2nd hand price, they're not a match for LCD2s and burn in isn't gonna change anything. Your brain might adjust some with more listening, I think they do have their strong points. The Nighthawks are even further away, definitely an acquired taste and the weirder of the audioquest headphones.

I took the owls while I am waiting for the repair of the drivers of my LCD2, and I wanted to try something different ....

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #9,302 of 10,196
After a respectable quantity of phones beeing here on visit I reached my goal after 3 years of searching for the the one and only: AQ Nighthawk with hm5 pads and a tiny bit of dampening with 2 tin layers of teafilter.

All others are sold, really good ones and in some aspects clear better as the hawks. I really was enjoing some great cans to listen for a while.
But this is the only HP for me that draws me right into the music immediately. The only phone for me till now that offers longtime fatigue-free listening, the only one which relaxes me the most listening music even that much that I fall asleep sometime even on louder levels :wink:... best sign that I feel completely pleasent and relaxed.
This AQs are really unique in all aspects. The whole construction and very low weight makes them to the most comfortable ones I had on my head.

At the moment they are powered with Shiit Magny Heresy / Topping D10.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #9,303 of 10,196
For me the Hawks, Owls and the Sony MDR-Z7 (MK1) do music the way I like the most, from lo-fi indie music to well recorded classical music. I like sound to be on the warmer and lusher side (or thicker side if you will) of neutral. I honestly have no need for more details, bigger soundstage or better clarity. There are only a few pairs of headphones I am still curious about: the ZMF Atticus, Aeolus and maybe the Auteur, but they cost too much to really consider. In a thread the Denon D7200s were compared to the ZMF Eikons and according to Purr1n the D7200s come very close to the Eikons, "I'd probably pick the Eikons by a hair" The D7200s can be bought for around 500 euro, so maybe I could reconsider trying them again?

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #9,304 of 10,196
Thanks to @mbwilson111 I am quite happily enjoying my Denon AH-D600 as I type this. Managed to find them for 1/10 the cost of 7200s.

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #9,305 of 10,196
Thanks to @mbwilson111 I am quite happily enjoying my Denon AH-D600 as I type this. Managed to find them for 1/10 the cost of 7200s.

That was a rare deal. Mine cost way too much but I really wanted them.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #9,306 of 10,196
I have had a pair of nighthawk carbons for a few days. They are used but look like they have not had much use. When I first put them on they sound muddy. After a while they get clearer. Any idea why this is. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #9,307 of 10,196
I have had a pair of nighthawk carbons for a few days. They are used but look like they have not had much use. When I first put them on they sound muddy. After a while they get clearer. Any idea why this is. Thanks.
Audioquest suggests that they should be burned in for 150 hours.

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #9,309 of 10,196

Your brain adjusting to the sound

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #9,311 of 10,196
Just a thought. I use a grado extension cable. Will this be good enough with these headphones. My headphone amp is a Graham Slee Solo. I have noticed I don’t have to use as much volume as when I use other headphones.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #9,312 of 10,196
You're probably used to brighter sound signatures. Your brain got used to what you are hearing from Nighthawk, and you adjusted and were able to notice the detail and nuance without the boosted signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back