AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #9,286 of 10,196
Hi, When I used dragonfly red with my phone (Moto g7 ) and used it with Nighthawks the volume was very weak. Am I doing something wrong?
You probably haven't updated the software on your Red. Android normally places the volume of the red at a low setting. The update on the red raised the initial volume when output to Android phones.

Jan 24, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #9,287 of 10,196
It was me with the IBasso pads :wink: They fit very well, round shape doesnt matter, the same with the brainwavz hm5 hybrid pads, they are also round like iBasso pads but fit perfectly. The iBasso Pads are more easy to mount, the back lash is so small that you dont have to push holes in it for the nipples of the ring. I just can suggest the Ibasso perforated pads and brainwavz hm5.. with audioquest pads I was not really content soundwise (price too is way too high)

Do you have any pictures of that? Sounds very interesting. Which IBasso pads? I am liking the current Pleather pads, but don't really like the suede ones. Do you have to sacrifice an audioquest pad to make these fit?

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #9,288 of 10,196
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #9,289 of 10,196
These are the perforated ones from iBasso.
Shure 1540 pads look very similar and are suggested from others too.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #9,290 of 10,196
I switched back from the HM5 Hybrid pads to the stock pads quite a while ago. But I thought that I'd try them out again today, and I must say, I really like the sound. I think that they might remain on my hawks.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #9,291 of 10,196
Love love my bird cans. I have found the correct amp pairing critical to getting these babie to seperate and spread out. They need a very very low output impedance IMO. I.e. on my Taurus they sound congested in balanced mode. Better in xlr std mode & Unbelievably great single ended!

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #9,292 of 10,196
my audeze LC2F are under repair, meanwhile I took a pair of nightowl. Unfortunately I'm not so happy, maybe I have to do the 150 hours of burning ........ but the sound of the LCD2 is unreachable. Maybe I should have taken the nighthawks you say?

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #9,293 of 10,196
my audeze LC2F are under repair, meanwhile I took a pair of nightowl. Unfortunately I'm not so happy, maybe I have to do the 150 hours of burning ........ but the sound of the LCD2 is unreachable. Maybe I should have taken the nighthawks you say?
If you don't like nightowl you would not like the nighthawks.
They have even more "specific" sound signature.

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #9,294 of 10,196
If you don't like nightowl you would not like the nighthawks.
They have even more "specific" sound signature.

A magical specific signature.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #9,295 of 10,196

While I'm a fan of the Nightowls, especially at their current 2nd hand price, they're not a match for LCD2s and burn in isn't gonna change anything. Your brain might adjust some with more listening, I think they do have their strong points. The Nighthawks are even further away, definitely an acquired taste and the weirder of the audioquest headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #9,296 of 10,196
Your free obviously to have your opinion but ill state that my experience is alittle different. I have many more "high endcans" but feel the hawks driver is of very high quality..now sound sig thats another story, some just wont like the birds and thats understandable. They are a acquired taste imo.

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #9,297 of 10,196
Your free obviously to have your opinion but ill state that my experience is alittle different. I have many more "high endcans" but feel the hawks driver is of very high quality..now sound sig thats another story, some just wont like the birds and thats understandable. They are a acquired taste imo.

I think the driver used in the Hawks and Owls is highly capable, it's the tuning that is, let's say 'unique'. The frequency response of the Hawks is just flat out wrong by most widely accepted headphone response targets. The Owls are closer but still oddly tuned. That's why they're so divisive. That's not to say it's wrong to enjoy them, I liked the Hawks well enough and I really like the Owls, but if you're coming from headphones tuned to a more standard frequency response target they're both gonna sound weird until your brain adjusts (I suspect this is why audioquest recommends "burn-in" for both).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #9,298 of 10,196
With every pair of headphones my ears/brains have to adjust. I don't think the Hawks and Owls sound THAT excentric, it doesn't take me much time to adjust. My ears and brains need much more time to adjust to the sound of my Denon D5000s.
Another thing I found, that is opposite to what most people feel is that the Hawks have lusher, more upfront mids than the Owls, the Hawks are more engaging. A thicker sound. that is also bit smoother, without ringing, distortion or any artificial, non-musical texture.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #9,299 of 10,196
For me it is definitely less drastic of a change since i bought my Auralic Taurus, its single ended ouput must be pretty low because that beautiful tone is still there but it is very spacious and 3d sounding now.

Just bought the no to, which should arrive thur, looking forward to a alternative for my Ad7200 to switch between (which i love) for night listening next to the wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back