AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #8,506 of 10,194
Well I obviously like my Focal Elear, but I may sell them at some point for something with a wider soundstage though I find it hard to look at anything else given I absolutely love Focal as a company, I Wasn't expecting these to be so narrow. I do like the sound signature of them. Classical and Jazz on them is just incredible. It's weird when I listen to piano tracks, it sounds/feels like the piano keys have weight to them. Same feeling you get when listening to Van Halen on vinyl. You can feel him picking his strings, it isn't just notes coming from whatever you're listening to.

But, of all the headphones I've tried, I think the ones I was most IMPRESSED with were the Phillips SHP9500. There is no way on any planet those headphones should have ever only cost 60 bucks, really pisses me off they had those legal troubles with the switching of ownership and drove the prices of them up. They're 2nd next to the Hawks for comfort though they could used a little more clamping pressure and the sound stage/sound period was just phenomenal. I got so many friends breaking into audio gear into those headphones as their starter pair and none of them wanna leave them because they sound so good. Little EQ and you can make the bass pop out more. I'd really like to get my hands on the Fidelo X2 cans.

It goes to show you, you don't need to throw up a stack of cash to get excellent headphones. Phillips showed that 10 fold.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #8,507 of 10,194
3+ months on, and still, the NH's are still in my daily rotation! Love them to bits, comfort, styling and most importantly...sound! I've driven these great can's to extreme. From single-ended to balanced, from phone to expensive dac/amp's. They just sound great out of anything! To me, they cover a great deal of music genres and especially rock/metal/jazz/folk. Excellent clarity and presentation, definitely a great experience when putting them on and chilling out to a favorite album!

Some have tried and used the NH's but later fell out with one another and some have fallen deep in love and will cherish and never part with such a special headphone. I think I belong to the later!

Some headphones I can compare the NH's to, (which is comparable to but not better or worse) are: Denon D2000, Philips X2 (original) and HD650. All these headphones I own and I find the NH's just does a few things better from all these others mentioned!

I like others, would love to see Nighthawk shrunken down to IEM level, how neat would that be, I wouldn't even mind the semi-open nature of the IEM as long as it looks and sounds like a regular-sized Nighthawk! :upside_down:

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #8,508 of 10,194
Recently received my new, hand braided cable for the Nighthawk/Nightowl from Forza AudioWorks. It is their Copper Series HPC Mk2 with the following features: Quad copper Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire, Headphones : Hifiman HE1000/HE400s/HE560/Susvara, Oppo PM1/PM2, Insulation : Transparent, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Neutrik 6,3mm jack.

Really pleased with the quality, feel, and how it holds its form from amp to headphone. It's my second cable from them, having bought the Noir HPC Mk2 for the MX4. Fully recommend. People may disagree, but I think the sound goes up a notch.

Price would be 129€ now, but I bought it in the Black Friday sale for 75€.

IMG_6663.JPG IMG_6665.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #8,512 of 10,194
Recently received my new, hand braided cable for the Nighthawk/Nightowl from Forza AudioWorks. It is their Copper Series HPC Mk2 with the following features: Quad copper Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire, Headphones : Hifiman HE1000/HE400s/HE560/Susvara, Oppo PM1/PM2, Insulation : Transparent, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Neutrik 6,3mm jack.

Really pleased with the quality, feel, and how it holds its form from amp to headphone. It's my second cable from them, having bought the Noir HPC Mk2 for the MX4. Fully recommend. People may disagree, but I think the sound goes up a notch.

Price would be 129€ now, but I bought it in the Black Friday sale for 75€.

Nice looking cable!

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #8,513 of 10,194
Forgot to add: to get the Nighthawk connectors be sure to select Hifiman HE1000/HE400s/HE560/Susvara, Oppo PM1/PM2 in the options but also note in the comment field that it's for the AudioQuest headphones. What I did is I e-mailed Matt first, he told me how to go about it, etc. He can also offer advice on the various options.

One personal observation: if you go with one of the sleeved cables, the Noir Hybrid HPC or Noir HPC Mk2, the Furutech 6.3mm jack becomes available. I recommend it. It's a sturdy, bulky jack that is so satisfying to plug into your amp.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #8,514 of 10,194
I like others, would love to see Nighthawk shrunken down to IEM level, how neat would that be, I wouldn't even mind the semi-open nature of the IEM as long as it looks and sounds like a regular-sized Nighthawk! :upside_down:

Before he left AQ, Skylar had talked about developing an IEM.

You want it to actually look like a mini Nighthawk? That would be interesting:)

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #8,515 of 10,194
ddd.jpg

So I actually got these 2 days ago, but RIGHT OUT THE BOX the cable was broken. The left side was not as loud, I test it by changing sides with cable and it changed sound with cable... I worked with Amazon to have them send me another AudioQuest OEM cable. That cable just got here today, so I have them on my head right now.

Everyone on the hate train for these just must expect headphones to sounds a certain way, or maybe I am not looking for the same things... I dont know what it is, but so far so good. I dont wanna gush too much but, I really do the way they reproduce these dark dirty synths. I also had a listen to some jazz just before and the horns sounded so smooth and throaty.

I also did a quick round in destiny. Sound stage is wider than the 58x, that is about the only take away I had from that so far in the short amount of time.

So welcome me to this "outcast" group! lol

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #8,516 of 10,194
Before he left AQ, Skylar had talked about developing an IEM.

You want it to actually look like a mini Nighthawk? That would be interesting:)
Correct, yeah use a Industrial shrink ray and shrink them down to earbud/IEM size, keep the wood glue look and slap some mmcx connectors and Whammo...Nighthawk in-ear monitors! Thank you Audioquest hahah....:wink:

@mbwilson111 - Have seen the show - Ozark - yet?

@billbishere - Welcome aboard mate! :grin:

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #8,520 of 10,194

So I actually got these 2 days ago, but RIGHT OUT THE BOX the cable was broken. The left side was not as loud, I test it by changing sides with cable and it changed sound with cable... I worked with Amazon to have them send me another AudioQuest OEM cable. That cable just got here today, so I have them on my head right now.

Everyone on the hate train for these just must expect headphones to sounds a certain way, or maybe I am not looking for the same things... I dont know what it is, but so far so good. I dont wanna gush too much but, I really do the way they reproduce these dark dirty synths. I also had a listen to some jazz just before and the horns sounded so smooth and throaty.

I also did a quick round in destiny. Sound stage is wider than the 58x, that is about the only take away I had from that so far in the short amount of time.

So welcome me to this "outcast" group! lol
Wow I like your picture! Looks like the headphones that Darth Vader would be wearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back