AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #8,491 of 10,196
They have a sale on the T20 now. In case you can help, two questions: 1) Any cable issues? On amazon.com some say that the cable is not detachable and once it wears out, it's over. They also say it is a hard rubber and uncomfortable. Made me think of the Nightowl cable. 2) What is the difference between the T20 and T20 Gen 2?

Apologies for diverging onto another subject than Nighthawks. Still related... :)

I haven't had my T10 long enough to develop any issues but honestly, I don't believe half of the reviews I read on Amazon just because the nature of people. I worked in retail and was in charge of returning merch back to the distribution center and the way people treat their stuff is awful. I imagine a lot of the people who's had their cables break are the type who shove their expensive IEMs in their front/back pockets where they don't belong. Or because they're so light they just throw them around and on the table when done. I read the same issues with Thinksound buds (that i also like) and never had any issues with anything since I take care of my stuff. Though it is true, they are hardwired in, and at that cost I have no idea why or what their excuse is, I guess I could email them bitching about it but I doubt a company that's been doing hard wired for so long is going to change. The T10 has a rubber like thing on the buds too and I don't find it to be an issue personally.

As for the gen 2, I have no idea, there's a reddit thread and that has conflicting information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/936qga/what_is_the_difference_between_rha_t20_and_rha/

I'd personally just call RHA and ask to talk to one of their engineers or something.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #8,492 of 10,196
I haven't had my T10 long enough to develop any issues but honestly, I don't believe half of the reviews I read on Amazon just because the nature of people. I worked in retail and was in charge of returning merch back to the distribution center and the way people treat their stuff is awful. I imagine a lot of the people who's had their cables break are the type who shove their expensive IEMs in their front/back pockets where they don't belong. Or because they're so light they just throw them around and on the table when done. I read the same issues with Thinksound buds (that i also like) and never had any issues with anything since I take care of my stuff. Though it is true, they are hardwired in, and at that cost I have no idea why or what their excuse is, I guess I could email them bitching about it but I doubt a company that's been doing hard wired for so long is going to change. The T10 has a rubber like thing on the buds too and I don't find it to be an issue personally.

As for the gen 2, I have no idea, there's a reddit thread and that has conflicting information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/936qga/what_is_the_difference_between_rha_t20_and_rha/

I'd personally just call RHA and ask to talk to one of their engineers or something.

Don't have experience with RHA, but I had a few Bose earphones and all cables broke after a year of use and I can tell that I'm really keen and careful on my stuff. Not all cables hold up that well is definitely my experience.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #8,494 of 10,196
I was super duper careful with the original NH cable...and the connector failed anyway. (And their 1/4 to mini adapter was crap too).

Bern

...which is why there are many posts throughout this thread regarding replacement cables... some inexpensive, and some not.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #8,495 of 10,196
I trust your opinion on most things.

You do need to update your list though... I am pretty sure you have much more gear than that...

guilty.gif

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #8,496 of 10,196
...which is why there are many posts throughout this thread regarding replacement cables... some inexpensive, and some not.

I've been using my orig cable again for the last few months. Treating it as though it's made out of tissue paper. We'll see how long it lasts!

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #8,497 of 10,196
I've been using my orig cable again for the last few months. Treating it as though it's made out of tissue paper. We'll see how long it lasts!

The thick silver one? My original thin one has always worked... I just do not like how microphonic the cloth is.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #8,498 of 10,196
The thick silver one? My original thin one has always worked... I just do not like how microphonic the cloth is.

No, really thick black one.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #8,500 of 10,196
Yes, that is the silver cable... the wire inside is silver:)

that's weird, I don't get a lot of noise out of mine, unless I'm just not moving around enough to hear it but that thin one that came with it too, that one is just downright AWFUL. I have a thought about moving my head and sounds like nails on a chalkboard, blows my mind that a company who prides themselves in their snake oil cables, even thought to ship a cable like that lol.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #8,501 of 10,196
that's weird, I don't get a lot of noise out of mine, unless I'm just not moving around enough to hear it but that thin one that came with it too, that one is just downright AWFUL. I have a thought about moving my head and sounds like nails on a chalkboard, blows my mind that a company who prides themselves in their snake oil cables, even thought to ship a cable like that lol.

The thin one is the one that makes noise. The thick one is the one that broke (for many people... some multiple times).

The cables they were used to making were mainly used for equipment that once you attach the cable you don't move it around or plug and unplug it a lot. This was their only effort at making headphone cables... and only because for some reason they backed Skylars wonderful invention:)

I miss how he used to participate in this thread.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #8,502 of 10,196
Jan 11, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #8,504 of 10,196
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #8,505 of 10,196
What other headphones you people enjoy? Even though I finally got around liking nighthawks it did not make my other headphones obsolite. For me something bit similar sounding headphones:

Psb m4u1/2 - I'd take Nighthawk's over these but psb's are really good closed headphones with romantic midrange

Ollo S4 - very similar to nighthawks. Ollo's have punchier bass and sound more balanced. on higher frequencies ollo's are propably a tad darker than nighthawks.

JVC dx700/dx1000 - it has been said that nighthawks sound like a good pair of speakers in a good room. I agree. However dx700/dx1000 sound like music in a good room. Only way to put it. Nh's are cleaner sounding so jvc's might sound a bit harsh at first. Tonally jvc's are in the same camp with nighthawks. Gobs of bass with present midrange without boosted highs. Jvc's however have huge soundstage (some say only hd800 has bigger soundstage, as hd800 owner I actually think most of the time jvc's have larger soundstage) and bass that is unlike any other dynamic of planar can produce. Not more faster, cleaner, layred, bigger but it is omnipresent. It is always there. Sounds silly but it is alot like bass being stored on the walls in a concert / with subwoofer.

It is depatable If ollo S4 is better than nighthawks(I think it is) but for something with quite similar tonality dx700/dx1000 is a clear and logical upgrade.

Dx700 hardly ever available but it can be had for $300. Dx1000 goes for $400-700.IMG_20190112_041348.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back