AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #8,521 of 10,196
Except no one in that show is very lovable.

Darlene Snell is quite lovable. Um no, she's not. The FBI agent is fairly lovable. Hmm, no he's not either. You're right - nobody is very lovable lol.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #8,522 of 10,196
I have had earbuds that give me a feeling similar to what I get listening to my original Nighthawks, IEMs not as much. Maybe @waynes world can help. I am not good at comparisons.

Actually, the Kube2 is kinda giving me the Nighthawk vibe. Only thing I'm not a fan of with the Kube2 is the flat cable, but I can't complain considering the price of them.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #8,523 of 10,196
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #8,525 of 10,196
Of course he did. I am over YouTuber "audiophiles" .....I love the headphones. F the haters. Snobby so called audiophiles that think bass is the devil or something.

It's sad that people will blindly follow that Jackass and not get to hear these amazing headphone

And really what is even the point of posting that? Just to post some more hate about them?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #8,526 of 10,196
Of course he did. I am over YouTuber "audiophiles" .....I love the headphones. F the haters. Snobby so called audiophiles that think bass is the devil or something.

It's sad that people will blindly follow that Jackass and not get to hear these amazing headphone

And really what is even the point of posting that? Just to post some more hate about them?

Unlike a few others this dude is not trying to make a living from YouTube and doesn't feel much pressure to post often. But I suppose that if he started reviewing them, he wasn't going to not post just because the review was heading the negative route. The honesty I appreciate. What I find a little irritating is that he speaks as though his view is fact, these headphones are garbage and that's it. It's fine to have an opinion and state it, but if you are broadcasting to thousands, it would be sensible to not present it as absolute fact. From what I understand, he does not believe in burn in of any kind, thinks amps and DACs make very little to no difference (only there to provide power), and that everything should be EQed to sound like the HD-600. So that's a particular view on headphones sound.

I liked this comment:

"Was looking forward to this review ... But your take on this is very amateurish. Is this the best you could do? “Read the page on the web?” Didn’t you want to talk about their point of view in your video? Do they resemble speakers in your opinion? Nothing? You neither talked about the fans and why they would like the sound..."

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #8,527 of 10,196
Unlike a few others this dude is not trying to make a living from YouTube and doesn't feel much pressure to post often. But I suppose that if he started reviewing them, he wasn't going to not post just because the review was heading the negative route. The honesty I appreciate. What I find a little irritating is that he speaks as though his view is fact, these headphones are garbage and that's it. It's fine to have an opinion and state it, but if you are broadcasting to thousands, it would be sensible to not present it as absolute fact. From what I understand, he does not believe in burn in of any kind, thinks amps and DACs make very little to no difference (only there to provide power), and that everything should be EQed to sound like the HD-600. So that's a particular view on headphones sound.

I liked this comment:

"Was looking forward to this review ... But your take on this is very amateurish. Is this the best you could do? “Read the page on the web?” Didn’t you want to talk about their point of view in your video? Do they resemble speakers in your opinion? Nothing? You neither talked about the fans and why they would like the sound..."

Yah man, i agree with everything you said. I can't stand him. I went on a bit of a rant in the comments. Feel free to join me, I think I show as Bill Bynum over there.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #8,528 of 10,196

Metal did seem to go a little overboard, but oddly enough I was watching a review as I skimmed over this thread by mere coincidence, and this gentleman also referred to some bass accentuation above 100hz which seems to haze the overall sound.
Metal is a neutral head like many of the audiophile purists. It's not to say one cannot enjoy an overly colored headphone.
I have enough in my collection that have been bashed (sometimes literally like in the case of dt990 one guy destroyed his and posted pic here on head-fi).
That's his opinion, but he seems like a nice enough fellow.

708714.jpg

and I like dt48 and those get a lot of hate on here too after Innerfidelity review. But I still like them in my top 5. And I didn't dislike Tyll for recommending the dt1350 over them.

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #8,529 of 10,196

I liked this comment:

I like his stark honesty. He just doesn't like them. He thinks they're garbage. That's fine. I like mine. :)

I don't know enough about "Harman curves" and "bass shelfs" and "grain" and frankly my ears and brain don't process sound through the filter of those concepts, but rather, the sound coming from the headphones get interpreted by my brain as either "sounds good" or "sounds bad", and the Nighthawk to my ears and brain "sounds good."

Jan 15, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #8,530 of 10,196
I like his stark honesty. He just doesn't like them. He thinks they're garbage. That's fine. I like mine. :)

I don't know enough about "Harman curves" and "bass shelfs" and "grain" and frankly my ears and brain don't process sound through the filter of those concepts, but rather, the sound coming from the headphones get interpreted by my brain as either "sounds good" or "sounds bad", and the Nighthawk to my ears and brain "sounds good."

A lot of people do seem to dislike the Nighthawks, but he does adhere very strongly to the harman curve tuning and that's only one tuning people like to adhere to, not everyone agrees on what is the ideal tuning on a headphone, the hawks tried a different tuning altogether and this caused a lot of controversy, especially to those who strongly believe in a particular curve, such as the Harman curve or Diffuse Field curve. Though in all honestly speaking of grain, makes me wonder what he is hearing as I find any of the HD 6xx line grainier, lacking precision, and hazier than the hawks overall; grain and poor imaging is the reason I gave up on the HD 6xx line. Even after I let my ears adjust to the sound signature of each headphone for days exclusively.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #8,531 of 10,196
A lot of people do seem to dislike the Nighthawks, but he does adhere very strongly to the harman curve tuning and that's only one tuning people like to adhere to, not everyone agrees on what is the ideal tuning on a headphone, the hawks tried a different tuning altogether and this caused a lot of controversy, especially to those who strongly believe in a particular curve, such as the Harman curve or Diffuse Field curve. Though in all honestly speaking of grain, makes me wonder what he is hearing as I find any of the HD 6xx line grainier, lacking precision, and hazier than the hawks overall; grain and poor imaging is the reason I gave up on the HD 6xx line. Even after I let my ears adjust to the sound signature of each headphone for days exclusively.

These align with my thoughts as well. They all get caught up on that stupid EQ curve. If Skylar wanted them to sound that way, he would have tuned them that way. It's like all these dudes don't want to actually appreciate and understand the sound, they just want to change the sound to something they "think" is better. Its just frustrating because these headphones were discontinued because of poor sales, and I am sure these "audiophile" youtubers had a hand in that.

I am just glad I was able to look past all noise and try them for myself. I am in the boat of considering buying a 2nd pair just so I have them for many many years to come. If I find the right used pair I just might. Hell even would consider the NightOwl as I am sure they are close to that sound I love so much!

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #8,532 of 10,196
These align with my thoughts as well. They all get caught up on that stupid EQ curve. If Skylar wanted them to sound that way, he would have tuned them that way. It's like all these dudes don't want to actually appreciate and understand the sound, they just want to change the sound to something they "think" is better. Its just frustrating because these headphones were discontinued because of poor sales, and I am sure these "audiophile" youtubers had a hand in that.

I am just glad I was able to look past all noise and try them for myself. I am in the boat of considering buying a 2nd pair just so I have them for many many years to come. If I find the right used pair I just might. Hell even would consider the NightOwl as I am sure they are close to that sound I love so much!

I can second that. Recently bough the Owls, love them as well. Next to that bought some extra hybrid pads for them.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #8,533 of 10,196
As someone said a few weeks (or was it months now?) above: checking in with 2 Nightowls, 1 Nighthawk Carbon, 1 Nighthawk Original, and 2 backup hybrid pads. But now that I have been told that they are garbage, I am selling the lot for 10€.

This was a joke. :)

But seriously now, I am really enjoying them and I don't agree that they lack soundstage, instrument separation, and so on. My main headphone is the amazing MX4. If the Nightbirds were so off and lacking, my ears would tell me so when switching from the MX4. And my ears are fine.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #8,535 of 10,196
As someone said a few weeks (or was it months now?) above: checking in with 2 Nightowls, 1 Nighthawk Carbon, 1 Nighthawk Original, and 2 backup hybrid pads. But now that I have been told that they are garbage, I am selling the lot for 10€.

This was a joke. :)

But seriously now, I am really enjoying them and I don't agree that they lack soundstage, instrument separation, and so on. My main headphone is the amazing MX4. If the Nightbirds were so off and lacking, my ears would tell me so when switching from the MX4. And my ears are fine.

Oooo the MX4 -- heard good things about that.

Got the Nighthawks on now, don't hear anything "wrong." They don't sound as wide as my HE-560 running balanced, but then, neither do my HD 650 or HD 600. :) Different tuning, different sound characteristics. I like having different headphones in order to enjoy different sound profiles. That's different, at least, to my ears, than something being "garbage." I have heard some headphones that I just take off and shake my head because there's too much wrong -- to my ears at least -- to enjoy them, but the Nighthawks aren't like that at all to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back