AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 28, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #7,157 of 10,196
Oct 29, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #7,160 of 10,196
Me too. But I wonder if it would add much to my listening experience as I already have a Senn HD 580.

Meanwhile...still loving my Hawks...and others...
Imo HD6x0s are much better than any of the HD5x0 series. My biggest problem with the HD6x0s is the bass roll off making some of my music almost not enjoyable. I wonder if the 660s are any better in that regard. NHs are my main headphones for a year now, and I also can't see myself departing from them anytime soon. Also no sibilance here. Lovely, organic, addictive sound and exceptional value for money. Imo.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #7,161 of 10,196
I've not been using my Nighthawks at all for the last few months as I bought a turntable and my system set up didn't easily allow connecting my headphone system. So the other day for giggles I spun some digital and put on my AQ's. It all came back to me. Such balance. No sibilance. Just really nice listening experience. Spinning more digital again and listening through he Nighthawks more often. Good times.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #7,162 of 10,196
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #7,163 of 10,196
IMG_20170506_085409.jpg

VPI Nomad. I've added a new Ortofon 2m Bronze and a who new dimension. Great sound.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #7,165 of 10,196

VPI Nomad. I've added a new Ortofon 2m Bronze and a who new dimension. Great sound.
Nice!
I still remember my first cheap plastic recordplayer with my first single: Percy Sledge with My special prayer...
In fact, I wanted to hear that song again so now its playing on my digital rig. Thank you for this trip through memory lane :L3000:

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #7,166 of 10,196
I've not been using my Nighthawks at all for the last few months as I bought a turntable and my system set up didn't easily allow connecting my headphone system. So the other day for giggles I spun some digital and put on my AQ's. It all came back to me. Such balance. No sibilance. Just really nice listening experience. Spinning more digital again and listening through he Nighthawks more often. Good times.

I had a look at your gear list. VERY impressive classic speakers you have there. Says a lot that you also appreciate the Nighthawks.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #7,168 of 10,196
I have no problems with the NH in that regard.

Having listened some more, Nighthawks don't case sibilance but seem to emphasize it if coming from DAC/amp. So far these are best HPs I've tried, along with Koss. Better that Senn 600 or Oppos for my liking. Very realistic sound, but only a bit dry, lacking air and microdetail in highs.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #7,169 of 10,196
Hey there,
just a short recap regarding my cable replacement:

I have received the thinner headset cable (Replacement Cable for Sennheiser HD477 HD497 HD212 EH250 EH350) in the meantime and found it to be really stiff. Unfortunately its braided respectively coated the same way as my Degauss Labs Noir which can be a real pain in the ass (at least in my opinion). Personally I prefer softer cables which are easier to handle and transmitt much less mechanical vibration to your ears. Its also quite short in length.

However, the VoIP module works pretty good for the price. The mic quality is ok on my G3 compared to other (pricier) headsets.

Hope the original replacement I claimed from the eBay supplier arrives asap :p
Otherwise I will try the cheaper one which appears to have a softer cable...

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7,170 of 10,196
Hey there,
just a short recap regarding my cable replacement:

I have received the thinner headset cable (Replacement Cable for Sennheiser HD477 HD497 HD212 EH250 EH350) in the meantime and found it to be really stiff. Unfortunately its braided respectively coated the same way as my Degauss Labs Noir which can be a real pain in the ass (at least in my opinion). Personally I prefer softer cables which are easier to handle and transmitt much less mechanical vibration to your ears. Its also quite short in length.

However, the VoIP module works pretty good for the price. The mic quality is ok on my G3 compared to other (pricier) headsets.

Hope the original replacement I claimed from the eBay supplier arrives asap :p
Otherwise I will try the cheaper one which appears to have a softer cable...

Fwiw, I've been using one that @inthere suggested:

I think it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AFVMR3Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I lost a better one that's cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C195RR8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure to search for "Sol Republic" cable because they sell the same cable for HD700 and Oppo PM-1 for 5X the price.

I found it on amazon.ca here. I've really been happy with it.
upload_2017-11-9_10-45-30.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back