AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #7,143 of 10,196
Btw, amazon.com is selling the Nighthawks for $299:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TFGW238

If I didn't already have 2 pair....love these headphones for their comfort and ease of drive...and of course sound. I EQ the mid and upper bass down a tad. Use it mostly off of my chromebook while surfing.
Bern

I wish I could think of someone who needs to know about this deal. I did not know one could still get the original wood color ones. I don't think they are available in the UK anymore.

I hope my one pair lasts forever. I am happy to have the original wood color and i am fortunate to have all three pad choices. I received the ultrasuede and pleather ones when I was sent my replacement cable ... at the time the short rubbery replacement cable was not yet available to buy nor were the pads. So I apparently was sent a review or promo pack. I never have tried the pleather pads but I do have the ultrasuede ones on right now. I found them more comfortable for the summer and the sound seemed fine. I plan to put the original hybrid ones back on them soon. I wonder if I will notice a sound difference.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #7,144 of 10,196
I haven't used my NH in a while. I just got them out today to use with an amp I am borrowing at the moment, the Questyle CMA 600i. My main headphones for the past year have been the Focal Elear. After using the Elear all this time and then switching back to the NH, I immediately realized how much midrange I was missing. The Focal are fantastic on just about everything else other than the midrange IMO. The Elear have this way of giving the illusion of warmth, but when you listen, it's obvious that a certain degree of midrange magic is simply missing from them. I also noticed this when listening to some Audeze headphones recently.

I was one of the ones who paid $600 for the NH when they came out, so now that they are selling new for $300, I would take quite a beating if I sold mine. They actually sound extremely good with this 600i, better than I was expecting. The 600i has the ability to inject some extra life into them.

I'm debating getting a Chord Mojo, but wonder how it would sound with the NH. Has anyone heard that combo? I am going to search this thread and see if I can find any comments on that.

Do you happen to EQ the 4k dip on the Elear? I'm not someone that normally EQ's my headphones but when EQ'ing the 4k region up about 3dB or so the upper mids sound much better. I actually find the mids on the Elear to be quite good and I don't hear them being that far back in the signature either.

Still though, for all the things I love about my Elear I like to pull out the Nighthawk from time to time for a change of pace, they still sound really good too.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #7,145 of 10,196
Really loving these again after swapping the pads to Microsuede! It did slightly reduce the bass, but that's what I wanted/expected because I found the hybrid pads to be a bit bloomy billowy and claustrophobic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #7,146 of 10,196
Really loving these again after swapping the pads to Microsuede! It did slightly reduce the bass, but that's what I wanted/expected because I found the hybrid pads to be a bit bloomy and claustrophobic.

Interesting, while I do like the microsuede and they may be slightly more comfortable, I never found any problems with the sound using the hybrid ones. As I plan to switch back to the hybrid soon I will try to listen for what you are describing. I totally fell in love with these using the original hybrids. Only put the microsuede on this summer because they seemed a bit cooler in the hot weather.

Happy you are loving yours again! You do have me curious now about the sound difference. I think maybe I just get so into the music that I do not react as analytically as some.

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #7,147 of 10,196
Interesting, while I do like the microsuede and they may be slightly more comfortable, I never found any problems with the sound using the hybrid ones. As I plan to switch back to the hybrid soon I will try to listen for what you are describing. I totally fell in love with these using the original hybrids. Only put the microsuede on this summer because they seemed a bit cooler in the hot weather.

Happy you are loving yours again! You do have me curious now about the sound difference. I think maybe I just get so into the music that I do not react as analytically as some.

Sorry I meant to say its a bit billowy instead of bloomy. (I'm horrible describing sound terms) The hybrid pads have such a good seal on my ears that the sounds/bass tend to reverberate. I preferred less of closed-in feeling and the Microsuede pads does a good job at that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #7,148 of 10,196
Just a short recap regarding my cable:
Kindly the seller offered me a replacement.

As a workaround I'm using the thinner (mobile) cable atm. It appears to be much lighter and easer to handle.
However, I'm not sure how long it will stand mechanical wear.

If both fail, I will finally go for an eBay replacement.

Thanks for your tips once again! :)

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #7,149 of 10,196
Just a short recap regarding my cable:
Kindly the seller offered me a replacement.

As a workaround I'm using the thinner (mobile) cable atm. It appears to be much lighter and easer to handle.
However, I'm not sure how long it will stand mechanical wear.

If both fail, I will finally go for an eBay replacement.

Thanks for your tips once again! :)

Get that nice braided one you saw while it is available. I think you might end up liking it more than the thick sprongy one they will send you.. but of course you do want them to send it.... it is the only right thing for them to do.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #7,150 of 10,196
Took advantage of the Amazon price on the original wood pair. Glad I ignored the negative comments on these headphones as they sounded wonderful to my ears. Very impressed by the build quality and comfort too.

Question though, are both of the cables included with the woody model prone to breaking?

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #7,151 of 10,196
Took advantage of the Amazon price on the original wood pair. Glad I ignored the negative comments on these headphones as they sounded wonderful to my ears. Very impressed by the build quality and comfort too.

Question though, are both of the cables included with the woody model prone to breaking?

The thick one is...mainly at the plug end. Bad soldering or weak pins on the plug. Mine broke right off after just a few times plugging it in and out. The thinner one will be ok but is too microphonic for me. See above posts for discussion of inexpensive alternatives.

I have had the original wood for over a year. I am also happy that I ignored the negative comments. They do sound wonderful. The hybrid pads that come on them are great as well...not included with the Carbons.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #7,152 of 10,196

I took advantage of a similar sale a year ago, and for a year now, I've used the Nighthawk almost exclusively (and I still own many quality headphones too). I couldn't be more pleased with these birds and I don't see myself falling out of love with them anytime soon. Though I must admit, the new Senn HD660S has piqued my curiosity.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #7,154 of 10,196
Though I must admit, the new Senn HD660S has piqued my curiosity.

Me too. But I wonder if it would add much to my listening experience as I already have a Senn HD 580.

Meanwhile...still loving my Hawks...and others...

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,155 of 10,196
I took advantage of a similar sale a year ago, and for a year now, I've used the Nighthawk almost exclusively (and I still own many quality headphones too). I couldn't be more pleased with these birds and I don't see myself falling out of love with them anytime soon. Though I must admit, the new Senn HD660S has piqued my curiosity.

Would be very interesting to know how these compare. HD600 was way too muted or congested for my taste. But also Nighthawks sibilance is getting too much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back