AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #6,976 of 10,196
"from what I know about AudioQuest's upcoming in-ear model, it's going to really shake things up. The sound quality of these 'phones wasn't available at any price even a few years ago, and I haven't seen this level of innovation and new ideas with loudspeakers in ages." Steve Guttenberg. IT can't come soon enough.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/are-you-experienced-0
Will this happen now that Skylar Gray has left AudioQuest? If it does will the result be the same as if he had not left the company?

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #6,977 of 10,196
Will this happen now that Skylar Gray has left AudioQuest? If it does will the result be the same as if he had not left the company?

It was under development when he was there so his "'touch"/input will be there. Designing and engineering headphones does take time so yeah the final result should be interesting.
We do know he has left AQ but maybe this new job is more fulfilling/challenging and would provide him with greater opportunity to grow so maybe that's why he left. Maybe he is still putting the final touches to complete the project.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #6,979 of 10,196
Since the new head fi, I can't se2m to find how to search within a thread you're in. So, I'm looking for the suede style pads to try on my hifiman he4, but can't find where to buy them. The audioqyest site just shows them but no price or buy option. Any help is appreciated

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6,980 of 10,196
Since the new head fi, I can't se2m to find how to search within a thread you're in. So, I'm looking for the suede style pads to try on my hifiman he4, but can't find where to buy them. The audioqyest site just shows them but no price or buy option. Any help is appreciated

Call them and they will get you sorted.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #6,982 of 10,196
@WarrenR - I just got the Archeer Universal Double Headphone Holder ($17 on big A) and am very happy with it. It's very solid with a weighted base, holds 2 cans and crafted entirely of Al. There's light padding on the hangers but I suppose you could always get pipe insulation and additional cushioning. Can't wrong with this for the price.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #6,983 of 10,196
@WarrenR - I just got the Archeer Universal Double Headphone Holder ($17 on big A) and am very happy with it. It's very solid with a weighted base, holds 2 cans and crafted entirely of Al. There's light padding on the hangers but I suppose you could always get pipe insulation and additional cushioning. Can't wrong with this for the price.

Agreed. I have the Netdot double headphone stand that's virtually the same and available in black. It gets the job done and it's cheap. I also hang my nighthawks by the top metal band (not the adjustable strap).

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #6,985 of 10,196
I didn't know Skylar Gray left AQ, I'm glad he was there for a while because I still love my Nighthawk.

The in-ear does sound interesting but I'm not much for IEM's anymore so not something I'd get. The iSine is probably the only in-ear I'd think about getting because its more of an in-ear headphone than IEM, 30mm is basically a headphone driver size.

I also would like to know if anyone else thinks their Nighthawk doesn't sound as dark as it use to? When I would go from say my Elear right to my NH it would sound quite a bit darker than the Elear for a few minutes until my brain adjusted, but know when I make the switch it doesn't sound dark anymore. I don't know if my brain is more use to the sound signature now or what. All I know is the NH really sounds a lot more natural now and doesn't have that dark veil over it anymore which is great.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #6,986 of 10,196
Hello all. My NH Carbons arrived today. Only a few hours on them so far, but very nice. I am using the pads that came on it (not the suede ones, the others) and I found the presentation slightly fatiguing on occasion - pronounced treble. Do the suede pads make a difference?

Main annoyance was the supplied AQ adapter, which doesn't grip the 3.5mm jack properly causing channel loss and static. I have had to use a different one I had laying around - annoying.

The leaflet in the case stated 150 hrs burn in. Do I need to do this at any particular volume level?

The only headphones I have used before this are Grado SR80s.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #6,987 of 10,196
Hello all. My NH Carbons arrived today. Only a few hours on them so far, but very nice. I am using the pads that came on it (not the suede ones, the others) and I found the presentation slightly fatiguing on occasion - pronounced treble. Do the suede pads make a difference?

Main annoyance was the supplied AQ adapter, which doesn't grip the 3.5mm jack properly causing channel loss and static. I have had to use a different one I had laying around - annoying.

The leaflet in the case stated 150 hrs burn in. Do I need to do this at any particular volume level?

I have the original nighthawks which came with hybrid pads. I have been happy with them (not fatiguing). I recently changed to the microsuede pads for more comfort in the hot weather. I honestly do not know what sound changes may or may not have occurred but I do not find those fatiguing either and they are even more comfortable than the ones I was using. I have not tried the protein leather ones that you have but others here have. I have them... just have not tried them yet. So I actually heve three choices.

I did the burn in because it was recommended but I love the sound right from the beginning. I just connected them to my desktop system and ran music to them using foobar2000 for a whole week. I varied the volume a bit. Usually normal levels... sometimes a little bit more...sometimes a little quieter. I picked them up and listened off and on throughout that time. Some will tell you not to. I say do what you want! :)

That adapter is known to be a problem. I have many lying around though. I actually like the type that has a small length of cable between the 6.5mm plug and the 3.5mm socket. I feel like that is less strain on the input.

I have a few headphones one of which is the Grado SR325e. Quite different from the Nighthawk. I enjoy different sound signatures. I personally do not listen to one immediately after another though. For me it can make everything sound wrong.

Enjoy!!!

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #6,988 of 10,196

I also just got my NH Carbons today. I have been playing around with them and comparing to my previous main headphones (AKG Q701). The leather pads definitely isolate better with more bass and thump. The suede to me sounded much more "open". My preference is to go with the suede because I like that "open airy" sound vs the "closed can" feel. I also notice the treble was a little high along with a slight sibilance. I think in time it will subside. Generally from my past experiences, headphones out of the box have very pronounced characteristics that will mellow out a little bit the longer you run sounds through them.

I have tried the Grados SR80 and have also previously owned the SR325e. I do like the Grados sound, but I experienced much quicker fatigue (~1-2 hours) plus head clamp pain on my ears. So far on these NH Carbons, I've probaby listened about 2 hours today, and it's very comfy. I constantly go back and forth between the AKG Q701 and this in comparing songs. Either a) the sound is somehow "maturing" the more I let the NH Carbon play or b) my ears are adjusting to the sounds.

I briefly tried to game with these, and I don't think they are as good as my Q701 in terms of spatial direction. Still need to play around with it because I'm sure when I got my Q701, I felt the same way too.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #6,989 of 10,196
i got the hm5 velour pads but i think they are a bit narrower. did i get the wrong velour pads?
edit: okay, managed to fit the plastic guide in :p i like what i'm hearing :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #6,990 of 10,196

Yep. The absurdity of crummy cables from a company that built much of their business on fancy cables. You can find cheap replacement cables on Amazon and eBay if you search for sol republic cables (or HD700) since they use the same connectors. Or get a nicer, reasonably priced one from Impact Audio Cables on Etsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back