AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #7,006 of 10,196
Really really hard for me to hear a difference between the ifi nano LE and the Dragonfly Red. I may hear some differences in special song scenarios but its really tough to make a good objective comparison. I may like the Red a bit better though but it could just be placebo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #7,008 of 10,196
I may need some more time/days to judge them fully. I just had high hopes since like all people in here said the Red was "custom made" for the Nighthawks. It sure sounds really good but i thought i get a bigger upgrade nontheless :D

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #7,009 of 10,196
The pairing between Lotoo Paw Gold Diana and Audioquest Nighthawk headphones is magical. High gain.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #7,010 of 10,196
I may need some more time/days to judge them fully. I just had high hopes since like all people in here said the Red was "custom made" for the Nighthawks. It sure sounds really good but i thought i get a bigger upgrade nontheless :D

These cans beat everything I own out of Lotoo Paw Gold Diana. I describe the pairing as perfect.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #7,011 of 10,196
Made for each other!

20170813_101001.jpg

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,013 of 10,196
I have been quite pleased and satisfied with my AQ Nightowl Carbon's for the past month. I am contemplating the addition of the original Nighthawks to my collection. Is there a big enough sonic difference between the two to warrant such a purchase? What, if any, are the major differences? Of course, the former is a closed-back and the latter is semi-open. At the very least, that would mean that the NH's should have a bigger soundstage. How much bigger is the question? Another example would be that the original NH's came with classic(hybrid) pads. Would the use of hybrid pads on my NO's narrow the gap with the NH's? For those who own both NO's and NH's, what do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #7,014 of 10,196
I don't think I've listened to a more frustrating headphone.

It does some things exceptionally well, particularly at its price point. Distortion is incredibly low, clean, smooth sound, very deep bass, impressive detail retrieval.

My main issue is that the tonal balance just seems off. If the mids weren't so sucked out the NH would be one hell of a good headphone.

If I turn the volume up things get better but then the bass becomes overpowering and the treble somewhat tizzy. I also want to take care of my ears.

It's a shame that the Nightowl doesn't address this and is more of the same (from what I've heard).

I can see why the NH so polarising. It's so close yet so far for me.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #7,015 of 10,196

It does some things exceptionally well, particularly at its price point. Distortion is incredibly low, clean, smooth sound, very deep bass, impressive detail retrieval.

My main issue is that the tonal balance just seems off. If the mids weren't so sucked out the NH would be one hell of a good headphone.

If I turn the volume up things get better but then the bass becomes overpowering and the treble somewhat tizzy. I also want to take care of my ears.

It's a shame that the Nightowl doesn't address this and is more of the same (from what I've heard).

Wish you could hear these on Lotoo Paw Gold Diana. It's a really great pairing.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #7,016 of 10,196
I may like the Red a bit better though but it could just be placebo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Between the Meridian Explorer2 and DragonFly Red, I preferred the ME2. Compared to the latter, the Red sounded a little too caffeinated to me, so to speak. A little coked up or something. The problem was that my MacBook completely stopped recognizing my ME2. The Red is doing the job for now, but I might buy another ME2 to see if I have better luck with that one.

As for the NightHawk, I was very curious about it until I listened to the NightOwl and was very disappointed because of how little everything sounded. Maybe I've just gotten too used to the bigger planar sound of my current go-to headphones.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #7,017 of 10,196

Good post... I share your frustration. I decided to order both the Ultra Suede and the Protein Leather replacement pads. With music that is too boomy, I find the Ultra Suede pads to nicely correct the sound (not all the way, but somewhat). I also like the US pads when i am listening to classical music (e.g. string quartet) as it seems to allow better instrument separation.

Not trying to sell anything or even *vouch* for the replacement pads, but that was my experience. As I type this, I am listening to Opeth "Sorceress" on my analog playback chain - was intolerable with the default pads, but nicely loud and clean w/ the ultra suede pads.

Another thing I will mention: In general, I cringe when someone posts "...you need a different amp...", but I find these 'phones really perform with a very clean solid state amp. I actually auditioned a bunch of amps and settled on the Lehmann in my signature for both these and my Grado cans (which I love with acoustic and solo violin).

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #7,018 of 10,196
Good post... I share your frustration. I decided to order both the Ultra Suede and the Protein Leather replacement pads. With music that is too boomy, I find the Ultra Suede pads to nicely correct the sound (not all the way, but somewhat). I also like the US pads when i am listening to classical music (e.g. string quartet) as it seems to allow better instrument separation.

Not trying to sell anything or even *vouch* for the replacement pads, but that was my experience. As I type this, I am listening to Opeth "Sorceress" on my analog playback chain - was intolerable with the default pads, but nicely loud and clean w/ the ultra suede pads.

Another thing I will mention: In general, I cringe when someone posts "...you need a different amp...", but I find these 'phones really perform with a very clean solid state amp. I actually auditioned a bunch of amps and settled on the Lehmann in my signature for both these and my Grado cans (which I love with acoustic and solo violin).

Could it be a pairing issue? I absolutely love The Nighthawks with my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #7,019 of 10,196
I am a newbie when it comes to DAP's. I am looking for the best sounding DAP that I can get my hands on for a budget of $200 or less and plays well with my Nightowls. I figure what works well with a Nighthawk will do the same for a Nightowl. What about the Cowon Plenue D, FiiO X1 or Sony NW-A35? Any others that I should consider? Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #7,020 of 10,196
I am a newbie when it comes to DAP's. I am looking for the best sounding DAP that I can get my hands on for a budget of $200 or less and plays well with my Nightowls. I figure what works well with a Nighthawk will do the same for a Nightowl. What about the Cowon Plenue D, FiiO X1 or Sony NW-A35? Any others that I should consider? Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Also consider the Cayin N3. I don't have it, but many great features. Excellent SQ. Pretty low price. I want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back