AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #7,036 of 10,194
Did any nighthawk owners upgrade to Atticus? I see a lot of similarities like the internal cup reverb of the Nighthawk and warm tilt and fairly smooth.

Atticus doesnt recess the mids like NH and has a similar bass punch (Not as clean as NH bass) sligjtly more detailed mucu more open and dimensional.

I'm a fan of the NH sound and found Atticus a natural upgrade.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #7,037 of 10,194
I have put my Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GMs, Shure SE846s, and Shure SRH1540s away due to the Audioquest Nighthawk headphones. I have AKG K812s on the way soon. I love the Hawks. You are not alone.

Thanks all for the great responses. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #7,038 of 10,194
Did any nighthawk owners upgrade to Atticus? I see a lot of similarities like the internal cup reverb of the Nighthawk and warm tilt and fairly smooth.

Atticus doesnt recess the mids like NH and has a similar bass punch (Not as clean as NH bass) sligjtly more detailed mucu more open and dimensional.

Did you also try the Eikon? I'm trying to figure out a headphone (for next year) and an upgraded Nighthawk sounds interesting. What amp are you using to drive the Atticus? I mention the Eikon only because it's biocell based...like the Nighthawk.

Bern

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #7,039 of 10,194

From your description, they seem great. How do they compare comfort-wise? They look like they weigh a lot more than the nh's.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #7,040 of 10,194
Curious if anyone here with a basic measurement rig can give the Nighthawk a measure with one of the click in posts on each earpad unclipped. This massively vents the bass and brings more focus to the mids.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #7,041 of 10,194
Hi, im the next victim of the Nighthawks voodoo:.)

I bought the wood version new for only 270€ incl. shipping. Straight out of the box I didnt like these cans for one bit so I let them play for 24 hours straight. After a quick listen I knew they were keepers but not "great".

So, back to the burn-in station (just an iMac playing random stuff on repeat). After another 24 hours I wanted a quick listen but the Voodoo got me. Instead of one or two songs I listened (with EQ) to three complete albums:.)

The reason why I bought these is that my HE-400i hurts my ears. I do like them but I like enjoying music without pain a lot more. Im not in a rush but I think my HE-400i is going bye bye :laughing:.

I let the Hawks burn in further and now they are past 72 hours. They sound great (no EQ) with my Opus #1 (transport) en my micro iDSD BL. No need for Xbass and I don't like 3D on these (great options for the hifiman tho).

And now Im in doubt wheter I should burn them in further or just start enjoying...:kissing_smiling_eyes:

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7,042 of 10,194
And now Im in doubt wheter I should burn them in further or just start enjoying..

i often burn in a new headphone while I sleep and just enjoy when I am awake. There is no rule.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #7,043 of 10,194
And now Im in doubt wheter I should burn them in further or just start enjoying...:kissing_smiling_eyes:

You can start enjoying, but you should definitely go for the full 150-hours to experience the NH's best potential.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #7,044 of 10,194
I let the Hawks burn in further and now they are past 72 hours. They sound great (no EQ) with my Opus #1 (transport) en my micro iDSD BL. No need for Xbass and I don't like 3D on these (great options for the hifiman tho).

Either or both lol.

My experience: I basically bought a returned pair for a great price. They apparently they had been burned in for 150 hours, so I figured that no further burn in would be required. I loved the NH's from the get go. But at times I found mid bass to be affecting things somewhat negatively (depending on the song, or my mood, or the weather - I don't know), but for the most part I loved them. I then tried some different pads that toned down the bass, and I was very happy for another month or so. After that month, out of curiosity, I switched back to the original pads, and for the life of me I think that the sound changed because they now always sound perfect to me. I have been back with the original pads ever since. I can only presume that my pair had not actually been burned in for 150 hours, and that I finally got past that magic marker. So feel free to enjoy them now, but I would suggest not making any final judgement on the NH's until after 150 hours of burn in.

Edit: Yeah, like what MementoMori99 says lol!

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #7,045 of 10,194
Either or both lol.

My experience: I basically bought a returned pair for a great price. They apparently they had been burned in for 150 hours, so I figured that no further burn in would be required. I loved the NH's from the get go. But at times I found mid bass to be affecting things somewhat negatively (depending on the song, or my mood, or the weather - I don't know), but for the most part I loved them. I then tried some different pads that toned down the bass, and I was very happy for another month or so. After that month, out of curiosity, I switched back to the original pads, and for the life of me I think that the sound changed because they now always sound perfect to me. I have been back with the original pads ever since. I can only presume that my pair had not actually been burned in for 150 hours, and that I finally got past that magic marker. So feel free to enjoy them now, but I would suggest not making any final judgement on the NH's until after 150 hours of burn in.

Edit: Yeah, like what MementoMori99 says lol!

I am not sure how many hours my used ones have, but DAMN I LOVE THEM! Listening to Rush YYZ. Ethereal!

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #7,046 of 10,194

You can start enjoying, but you should definitely go for the full 150-hours to experience the NH's best potential.
Sounds like a good plan, thanks for all the replies.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #7,047 of 10,194
The reason why I bought these is that my HE-400i hurts my ears. I do like them but I like enjoying music without pain a lot more. Im not in a rush but I think my HE-400i is going bye bye :laughing:.

Sell 'em! Sold my 400i when I got my NHs and don't miss them one bit, and for the same reason you highlighted. I used to take the faint ringing I'd often get in my ears after using the 400i for granted. Until I got the NH and all that disappeared. The 400i were hurting my ears/hearing too. 1 year and 3 months ecstatic with the NH as my only pair of full-sized. Enjoy them!

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #7,048 of 10,194
Sell 'em! Sold my 400i when I got my NHs and don't miss them one bit, and for the same reason you highlighted. I used to take the faint ringing I'd often get in my ears after using the 400i for granted. Until I got the NH and all that disappeared. The 400i were hurting my ears/hearing too. 1 year and 3 months ecstatic with the NH as my only pair of full-sized. Enjoy them!
I had similar problem with my TH-X00 before the NH. Yet to find another headphone that draws me into music like the NH does. 1 year with my Nighthawks and still excited and enjoying each time I put them on my head.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #7,050 of 10,194
I enjoyed my NH at times mainly for the bass but found it hard to get involved as the upper mids were far too recessed.
I guess a lot depends on the music genre and also on the DAC/amp you use. Not to mention personal taste. (Your ears also need 10-15 minutes to adjust to NH's sound signature after any other headphone.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back