AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #7,066 of 10,196
So, I just picked up a pair of Night Hawks locally ($299 from an authorized dealer, pretty good deal I think). Not sure I fully buy into burn-in, but since so many feel it helps with the NHs, what the heck...nothing to lose.

When burning-in headphones, do you need to give them a "break" to rest, after a certain amount of hours, or is it cool...just to let them run (at a medium volume) continuously 24/7?

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #7,067 of 10,196
So, I just picked up a pair of Night Hawks locally ($299 from an authorized dealer, pretty good deal I think). Not sure I fully buy into burn-in, but since so many feel it helps with the NHs, what the heck...nothing to lose.

When burning-in headphones, do you need to give them a "break" to rest, after a certain amount of hours, or is it cool...just to let them run (at a medium volume) continuously 24/7?

I personally break-in hp's for 18-hrs. at medium or slightly above medium volume and then give them a break for 6-hrs. and repeat the process until the magic number is achieved. In the case of the NH's it is 150-hrs..

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #7,068 of 10,196
My HE-400i was ok but since I had a really hard time listening to it, the shop owner offered me the Nighthawk Carbon as a trade (+100€). I gladly accepted this genres offer. The return window of the Hifiman had passed so I consider myself lucky.

All I want now is the NightOwl and another 'main' HF to complement my birds :.)

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #7,069 of 10,196
The actual treble level on the NH isn't low but the bass is way above the treble and mids. They sound darker than the 650 because the upper mids are much more recessed and the bass is so dominant.

I just feel the NHs treble could be smoother as it's a bit tangy. HD650 has a more rolled off but smoother treble and it has a better timbre, more natural and breathable. Look into the Icon HP8 instead of the WA7 or if you like Woo Audio the WA6 with a good rectifier is a better option.

I would also consider the Atticus if you like a thick lush sound. The HD650 can be a bit grainy, it's my only issue with it.

I'm thinking of going with an Aune T1 as a cheap tube amp (well DAC in this case) coupled with the neutral Asgard 2. I think the Atticus and the HD650's would balance well with this combo when tube rolled. I've seen a few reviews on the Atticus and they don't pair particularly well with warm amps (like the Liquid Carbon) but do with a neutral one with a little added warmth (like a tube rolled Lyr 2) so I think this would complete my setup for that warm, but not claustrophobic sound.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,070 of 10,196
Strange, the hybrid pads from my Wood sounds better on the Carbon. At the same time, the Microsuede Earpads from my Carbon sounds better on the Wood.

What?! That is impossible, unless there's a matrix within the matrix in a parallel universe...
Or, it could be the difference in play time. :grin:

I tried the switch because I didn't like the sound of the Carbon with the Microsuede pads. On my Wood it sounds fantastic. Well, at least I can take a pick based on the albums I want to hear.

Chapman, Vega = Wood.
Sananda Maitreya (Terence Trent D'arby) or Vaya Con Dios = Carbon
Taylor Swift = garbage can :astonished:

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #7,071 of 10,196
Strange, the hybrid pads from my Wood sounds better on the Carbon. At the same time, the Microsuede Earpads from my Carbon sounds better on the Wood.

What?! That is impossible, unless there's a matrix within the matrix in a parallel universe...
Or, it could be the difference in play time. :grin:

I tried the switch because I didn't like the sound of the Carbon with the Microsuede pads. On my Wood it sounds fantastic. Well, at least I can take a pick based on the albums I want to hear.

Chapman, Vega = Wood.
Sananda Maitreya (Terence Trent D'arby) or Vaya Con Dios = Carbon
Taylor Swift = garbage can :astonished:
Production variation.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #7,072 of 10,196
What does everyone think of the Nighthawks with tube amps? Specifically something like the Elise? Does it end up being too muddy since these are pretty work and smooth in the mid range?

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #7,074 of 10,196
A transformer coupled tube amp would be fine. Elise okay but most OTL amps have high imp.

Hmm might go with a Lyr then. It's a close tie between these and the NightOwls as they have the closest presentation to the HEX that I've read about.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #7,075 of 10,196
My HE-400i was ok but since I had a really hard time listening to it, the shop owner offered me the Nighthawk Carbon as a trade (+100€). I gladly accepted this genres offer. The return window of the Hifiman had passed so I consider myself lucky.

All I want now is the NightOwl and another 'main' HF to complement my birds :.)
I would suggest the beyerdynamic 1990s myself. Very different than the hawks, but also very good.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #7,076 of 10,196
Hello ya'll! I'm new to this thread.
I tried out the NightOwl Carbons at a BestBuy last week and immediately thought that the sound signature was immensely pleasing.
The problem is that I can't afford their price point, so I actually have the option of purchasing a NightHawk for $270.

I'm wondering if anyone can compare them to the LCD-2?

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #7,077 of 10,196
I tried out the NightOwl Carbons at a BestBuy last week and immediately thought that the sound signature was immensely pleasing.
The problem is that I can't afford their price point, so I actually have the option of purchasing a NightHawk for $270.

I've listened to the NightHawk, NightOwl Carbon and LCD-3 (sorry, not the LCD-2, best I can do) on the same rigs so I'll give you a quick comparison.

I found the NightHawk to be quite warm sounding. Diffuse bass, a bit overblown and lower mid range was a bit chesty/muddy. Wasn't a big fan overall.

NightOwl Carbon is one of my favorite sealed phones. Nicely done below 1khz, good bass impact. Slightly v-shaped mid to treble transition, which can make electric guitars sound a tad sharp on top and fuller than natural down low. Vocals are still nice and sibilance isn't offensive.

LCD-3 is neutral and natural sounding. Deep, impactful bass, natural vocals and acoustic instruments. Great transients, cymbals sound crisp though they lack a bit of body. Great sense of space and direction from instruments- I would speculate this is where the LCD-3 pulls ahead of the LCD-2 but I haven't heard them.

Compared to the NightOwl they are more open sounding, more linear and have a more convincing soundstage. NightOwl has pretty good imaging and soundstage for a sealed can, though.

If you like the sound of the NightOwl you might just dig in and save. The Nighthawk really don't sound the same to me. The NightOwls do much well, IMO, and have forgivable faults.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #7,078 of 10,196

My 2 cents: I had a chance to briefly compare both at a meet a few months back. To me, the NH & LCD-2 sound more similar than different. Take the NH, make the soundstage slightly less intimate, push the mids a little more forward in the presentation and, to my ears, you have the LCD-2. Both are grain-free, clean and non-fatiguing throughout with excellent bass weight, control & depth. The NHs being lighter makes them the more comfortable but the LCD2 was surprisingly manageable with the carbon fiber headband. If I didn't own the NHs, I'd get the LCD-2s, and probably vice versa (def at $270). Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #7,079 of 10,196
My 2 cents: I had a chance to briefly compare both at a meet a few months back. To me, the NH & LCD-2 sound more similar than different. Take the NH, make the soundstage slightly less intimate, push the mids a little more forward in the presentation and, to my ears, you have the LCD-2. Both are grain-free, clean and non-fatiguing throughout with excellent bass weight, control & depth. The NHs being lighter makes them the more comfortable but the LCD2 was surprisingly manageable with the carbon fiber headband. If I didn't own the NHs, I'd get the LCD-2s, and probably vice versa (def at $270). Hope that helps.

Thank you for the response!
The comfort of the NightHawk seems like such a huge plus for me, so I was wondering if I could get a similar sound signature.
From what I've read it seems that the NightHawk's bass is more focused in the mid-range while the LCD-2 is more focused, ime, on the sub-bass?

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7,080 of 10,196
Thank you for the response!
The comfort of the NightHawk seems like such a huge plus for me, so I was wondering if I could get a similar sound signature.
From what I've read it seems that the NightHawk's bass is more focused in the mid-range while the LCD-2 is more focused, ime, on the sub-bass?

Sorry, I'd probably need another chance to compare to honestly give you a more critical answer than the above. But being one that enjoys full yet well-controlled, bass reproduction that doesn't lack in depth, you really can't go wrong with either the NH & the LCD-2 (source permitting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back