AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #6,946 of 10,196
I am using the really thin cable for my iPad and MacBook Pro. I came from using the Audeze isine 20 but return it because it was uncomfortable. I think I have it tight.
Tight into the cups?

So you have the original Nighthawk like me. There was a problem with the thicker long cable breaking for many people but the thin one should be ok. The newer Carbon Nighthawk comes with only one thick short rubbery cable. If you want something else later you can find suitable inexpensive replacement cables by searching ebay for Sennheiser HD 700 or (the same quality for less money search for HD 497 or HD 212). I am using one listed ofr the 497 that came to me from China (ebay).

I have no idea what kind of bass you should expect from an iPad or a MacBook. Hopefully someone else can advise you. No matter what your source the bass should just be nice and accurate (enough body where body exists). At least that is my perception. It won't and should not be Beats like thumping. I am sure someone with come along you can help you more.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #6,947 of 10,196
Hey guys just got the nighthawk and my first impression that their is not much or body to the bass. Does this get better after burning it in?
Are you using any DAC/Amp??

From what I've read Nighthawks are easy to drive but if you are just using the Macbook or iPad as source and for amplification purpose you are leaving a ton of performance on the floor. I would suggest you get a DF Red from somewhere that has a good return policy so you can return it if you don't like it, but you won't because the performance will blow your mind.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #6,948 of 10,196
Tight into the cups?

So you have the original Nighthawk like me. There was a problem with the thicker long cable breaking for many people but the thin one should be ok. The newer Carbon Nighthawk comes with only one thick short rubbery cable. If you want something else later you can find suitable inexpensive replacement cables by searching ebay for Sennheiser HD 700 or (the same quality for less money search for HD 497 or HD 212). I am using one listed ofr the 497 that came to me from China (ebay).

I have no idea what kind of bass you should expect from an iPad or a MacBook. Hopefully someone else can advise you. No matter what your source the bass should just be nice and accurate (enough body where body exists). At least that is my perception. It won't and should not be Beats like thumping. I am sure someone with come along you can help you more.
Thanks for your reply, not expecting beats but sometime that grabs when I am watching movies and hip hop.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #6,951 of 10,196
Are you using any DAC/Amp??

From what I've read Nighthawks are easy to drive but if you are just using the Macbook or iPad as source and for amplification purpose you are leaving a ton of performance on the floor. I would suggest you get a DF Red from somewhere that has a good return policy so you can return it if you don't like it, but you won't because the performance will blow your mind.
I meant to say I be the dragonfly 1.2 black is their a real difference with the sound a the bass?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #6,952 of 10,196
Tight into the cups?

I meant that the isines did not fit right and was tight in my back ears. The nhw are not tight.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #6,953 of 10,196
I meant to say I be the dragonfly 1.2 black is their a real difference with the sound a the bass?

Yes there is a BIG difference between the 1.2 and Red. I was using the 1.2 and was very happy with it that was until I used the RED. RED kicks the 1.2's ass.
Differences: Red is significantly more powerful. More weight in the bass.
Noise floor is lower, Detail is easier to hear. MQA support. Its a big enough difference that once you use the RED you will not want to use the 1.2.

RED does require some break-in 30-40 hours and sounds best once it has been warmed up a bit.
warmed up (for the oscillator to stabilize) .

What software are you using for playback on the Mac??

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #6,954 of 10,196
Is the Amrion similar in nature to the Nighthawk or does it have the traditional Beyer sound?
It is not quite the traditional Beyer sound if by that you mean overly bright. They have tamed the treble but there is still plenty of detail. I can really relax with them as I can with the Nighthawks. I enjoy both. They do not sound the same but as I said, I can enjoy various sound signatures. Having said that, I do hate my husbands dt990s... serious listening fatigue. Check out the thread. A couple of users have discussed the differences between the Nighthawks and the Amirons. Maybe someone will do that in here. I have not had the Amirons long enough to know what to say. I was lucky to get an excellent deal on the Amirons on Amazon UK for about £120 less than they are right now. They hovered around £400 for a couple of weeks so I jumped on them even though I did not plan to buy them so soon. I was going to hope for a Black Friday deal.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #6,955 of 10,196
I meant that the isines did not fit right and was tight in my back ears. The nhw are not tight.
I understood what you what you meant about the isines. I meant were the Nighthawk cables tight enough into the cups... not just into your source.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #6,957 of 10,196
Yes there is a BIG difference between the 1.2 and Red. I was using the 1.2 and was very happy with it that was until I used the RED. RED kicks the 1.2's ass.
Differences: Red is significantly more powerful. More weight in the bass.
Noise floor is lower, Detail is easier to hear. MQA support. Its a big enough difference that once you use the RED you will not want to use the 1.2.

RED does require some break-in 30-40 hours and sounds best once it has been warmed up a bit.
warmed up (for the oscillator to stabilize) .

What software are you using for playback on the Mac??
I use Mac OS Sierra, I can't afford the chord mojo so maybe this red is just what I need.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #6,959 of 10,196
I use Mac OS Sierra,

No I meant what playback software do you use for music playback. Like Audirvana+ or Amarra or Jriver. Trust me on this if you are only using iTunes then you will not get the best sound quality.
All of the ones I mentioned offer free trials. Download them to check out the sonic difference they do provide.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #6,960 of 10,196
No I meant what playback software do you use for music playback. Like Audirvana+ or Amarra or Jriver. Trust me on this if you are only using iTunes then you will not get the best sound quality.
All of the ones I mentioned offer free trials. Download them to check out the sonic difference they do provide.
Oh I use Spotify, and occasionally use tidal. I might have to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back