AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #5,357 of 10,196
Regarding Emu (and Fostex) headphones. I tried out the upper tier Fostex and all of the Emu headphones at RMAF. They all shared a trait I just couldn't live with, which is hot / tizzy treble. The kind that would make me turn the volume down just when I'm getting into the groove. I know some people like it and think it's a sign of more detail or that they sound more exciting. I just find that kind of sound fatiguing. Just my two cents...

That is exactly why I sold my X00s.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5,360 of 10,196
I just got my brand new NightHawk and...um...I can't open it.
ph34r.gif

There's a lock thingamajigger holding the two zippers together. I tried messing with it with a small object, but I can't get it off.

Can someone please tell me how to unlock and open it? haha

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #5,361 of 10,196
I just got my brand new NightHawk and...um...I can't open it. :ph34r:

There's a lock thingamajigger holding the two zippers together. I tried messing with it with a small object, but I can't get it off.

It's plastic isn't it? I just got a knife and sawed it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #5,362 of 10,196
  I just got my brand new NightHawk and...um...I can't open it.
ph34r.gif

It is a wire tie. Cut with wire cutters or even nail clippers if no wire cutters are available.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5,363 of 10,196
It's plastic isn't it? I just got a knife and sawed it.

It is a wire tie. Cut with wire cutters or even nail clippers if no wire cutters are available.

Nail clippers did the trick. I feel silly for thinking there was an official push-button way of removing that. XD

Man, this is some of the nicest packaging I have ever seen! And the headphones are even more beautiful in person.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #5,364 of 10,196

Nail clippers did the trick. I feel silly for thinking there was an official push-button way of removing that. XD

Man, this is some of the nicest packaging I have ever seen! And the headphones are even more beautiful in person.

Ever opened an oppo headphone?

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,365 of 10,196
Great ears hear alike
wink_face.gif

BTW, weren't you the one who gave me a "why're you so late to the party" welcome when I finally bought my nighthawks?

I do not remember saying that, but I am happy you enjoy your Nighthawks. In fact I was also a bit late to the party, the love started only with my second pair of Nighthawks 4 months ago. (After a superficial encounter I sold off my first pair about a year ago. Big mistake.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #5,367 of 10,196
  I have so much to say about the sound of the NightHawk...but for now I'll say this: I can't stop bobbing my head.
L3000.gif

Nah.

U should open a brand new PM3. lol.

I would be extremely interested to hear your thoughts on the Nighthawk. I have some of your recommendations and would love to hear your thoughts on these compared to your normal listening. If I remember correctly, you love the Stax sound and the Yamaha MT220? Correct me if i am wrong..

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #5,368 of 10,196
I would be extremely interested to hear your thoughts on the Nighthawk. I have some of your recommendations and would love to hear your thoughts on these compared to your normal listening. If I remember correctly, you love the Stax sound and the Yamaha MT220? Correct me if i am wrong..

I have a Mojo coming in next week and will probably wait until then.

When you said you have some of my recommendations, did you mean you bought audio equipment I recommended? (I didn't see any on your signature and profile.)

And yes, STAX is my favorite for overall realism. The MT220 is more for fun, engaging music. And the NightHawk is definitely unique enough to have a place in any serious headphone collection. (If you're curious about other stuff I've had/heard, check out my profile.)

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #5,369 of 10,196
Well you all convinced me.  I just ordered the Nighthawks.  I can't wait to pair them up with my iDSD Micro Black Label.  I do have a Dragonfly Red too.  So I think it will work great.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #5,370 of 10,196

I have a Mojo coming in next week and will probably wait until then.

When you said you have some of my recommendations, did you mean you bought audio equipment I recommended? (I didn't see any on your signature and profile.)

And yes, STAX is my favorite for overall realism. The MT220 is more for fun, engaging music. And the NightHawk is definitely unique enough to have a place in any serious headphone collection. (If you're curious about other stuff I've had/heard, check out my profile.)

oops... should have said read some.... forgot that crucial word. 

biggrin.gif
 I think I am basically done with the phones part in my estimation. Just gave the Beyer to my brother. and will keep the Sony, the Oppo and the Nighhawk. My final quest will probably be the source, but I will wait a bit on that. Looking at the Mimby and the Jitterbug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back