AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #5,386 of 10,196
I tried this one with my old QP1R and i kinda like it. Now i have some question before i buy it. Does it need an amp to drive ? I saw audioquest released 2 new model. So this one vs nightowl carbon vs nighthawk carbon which one is better ?

I strongly recommend an amp - not only with the Nighthawks but in general. I use my portable amp at all times, whether listening to the 'hawks or a pair of IEMS (currently loving the LZ A4s) Certainly for the Nighthawks, an amp will bring out the best in them. My recommendation for portable is the Cayin C5 although there are a fair few to choose from and I have only heard a couple of others.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #5,387 of 10,196
Just a comment about using an amp with the Nighthawks, for clarity. First and foremost the Nighthawks are very easy to drive so an amp from a power perspective is completely non-relevant. I mean, 25 Ohms impedance and 99 dB SPL/mW is not difficult to drive at all. More accurately I would say that they will do well with quality upstream gear as the Nighthawk performance is very good (sound signature and preferences notwithstanding).

So in the end it's not so much that upstream gear will reveal what the Nighthawk is capable of (unlike some very difficult to drive headphones), but rather the Nighthawk is capable of showing the quality of the upstream gear. At least that's my perspective.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #5,388 of 10,196
  Looking for thoughts/links pertaining to EQ, burn-in, and cables.

I feel like I've got a good handle on the stock tuning of the NightHawk. Now I'd like to experiment with a parametric equalizer. Starting from established efforts from others would be easier than doing it from scratch. I saw at least a few posts alluding to EQ settings people have discovered. If anyone could link me to those, that would be great. [insert Office Space meme here...lol]

I have personally never noticed mechanical burn-in with any headphone, no matter what I tried. (Including playing music for countless hours and pink noise on top of that.) But if others have shared their burn-in experiences, that's something I would be interested in links for as well.

Does the smaller stock cable sound different than the bigger one? (Don't feel like going through the ritual of opening the box again to find out.) I'm using the latter since it was recommended.

(I know I can use search techniques, but that basically only gives me random info, whereas the more experienced owners tend to follow the thread and can provide more pertinent wisdom.)

I am not a big fan of eq-ing, and definitely do not feel the need to eq with Mojo.
To my ears the longer (and more fragile) cable that comes with the original NH definitely sounds better than the shorter, more durable one. Others do not hear a difference.
You definitely need to spend time with NH to appreciate its unique sound when you first try it, but the bigger part of 'burn-in' happens in the brain IMO.

I tried this one with my old QP1R and i kinda like it. Now i have some question before i buy it. Does it need an amp to drive ? I saw audioquest released 2 new model. So this one vs nightowl carbon vs nighthawk carbon which one is better ?

I think a good DAC is more important to have with the NH than an amp.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #5,389 of 10,196

I think a good DAC is more important to have with the NH than an amp.

I agree!

I just bought the Oppo HA-2SE DAC/amp and the feeling I was missing detail is now history.  This DAC did exactly what I hoped it would do, added detail w/o the glare, tizz or brightness I feared with ESS Sabre DAC. I am thrilled how the NH now sound with this new DAC!!!

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #5,390 of 10,196
To my ears the longer (and more fragile) cable that comes with the original NH definitely sounds better than the shorter, more durable one. Others do not hear a difference...

I'm such a person who has difficulties in hearing cable differences. Nevertheless I ordered a custom cable for my NH Carbon, because I do not like the stiffness and the shortness of the original cable. When the cable arrives (this will last a while because it will be crafted in the U.S.A. and then shipped to Germany) I'll tell you if I can hear any difference this time
rolleyes.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #5,391 of 10,196
Hello everyone! Just wanted to pop in & say that my thick NightHawk cable started cutting out with the slightest movement of the 3.5mm end. I contacted AudioQuest (info@audioquest.com) & they replaced my defective cable with the new four foot black cable that is included with the NightOwl & NightHawk Carbon. I like the new cable thus far. Just letting you all know in case you're having problems with the original thick cable.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #5,392 of 10,196
Just a comment about using an amp with the Nighthawks, for clarity. First and foremost the Nighthawks are very easy to drive so an amp from a power perspective is completely non-relevant. I mean, 25 Ohms impedance and 99 dB SPL/mW is not difficult to drive at all. More accurately I would say that they will do well with quality upstream gear as the Nighthawk performance is very good (sound signature and preferences notwithstanding).

So in the end it's not so much that upstream gear will reveal what the Nighthawk is capable of (unlike some very difficult to drive headphones), but rather the Nighthawk is capable of showing the quality of the upstream gear. At least that's my perspective.

I think this is absolutely fair. I would say, though, that I get my preferred sound (when mobile) from my C5 at high gain (source is a Fiio X5) so for me the extra power results in a fuller, more detailed sound. I still listen at low to medium volume, but I hear a distinct difference between high and low gain (at the same relative volume). I should have been more specific in my post so I will restate (though this is my opinion and open to challenge!)

I feel that while I can achieve a good sound with the NH unamped, an amp really brings out the best in them.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #5,393 of 10,196
I think this is absolutely fair. I would say, though, that I get my preferred sound (when mobile) from my C5 at high gain (source is a Fiio X5) so for me the extra power results in a fuller, more detailed sound. I still listen at low to medium volume, but I hear a distinct difference between high and low gain (at the same relative volume). I should have been more specific in my post so I will restate (though this is my opinion and open to challenge!)

I feel that while I can achieve a good sound with the NH unamped, an amp really brings out the best in them.

Yup, the C5 is a fuller / richer amp than the one in the X5, and especially a typical smartphone. The Nighthawk doesn't care about the unused power it doesn't see that isn't being used at reasonable volumes. Glad you're liking the pairing. Technically every device with a headphone jack has an amp, but not all amps are equal, that's for sure. Yes, I'm being pedantic, I'll just leave it there. :wink:

:beerchug:

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #5,394 of 10,196
Yup, the C5 is a fuller / richer amp than the one in the X5, and especially a typical smartphone. The Nighthawk doesn't care about the unused power it doesn't see that isn't being used at reasonable volumes. Glad you're liking the pairing. Technically every device with a headphone jack has an amp, but not all amps are equal, that's for sure. Yes, I'm being pedantic, I'll just leave it there.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Haha, I don't think that's overly pedantic! I fired my reply off before work and then was thinking about it on the way in. Now, having re-re-read your original comment, I think my reply is kind of redundant and that what you said here is the key:

Originally Posted by x RELIC x 

So in the end it's not so much that upstream gear will reveal what the Nighthawk is capable of (unlike some very difficult to drive headphones), but rather the Nighthawk is capable of showing the quality of the upstream gear. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #5,395 of 10,196
Hello everyone! Just wanted to pop in & say that my thick NightHawk cable started cutting out with the slightest movement of the 3.5mm end. I contacted AudioQuest (info@audioquest.com) & they replaced my defective cable with the new four foot black cable that is included with the NightOwl & NightHawk Carbon. I like the new cable thus far. Just letting you all know in case you're having problems with the original thick cable.
Thank you for that I'm probably going to contact them tomorrow morning about both my cables knowing this.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #5,396 of 10,196
I believe I likely use lower volume then maybe 1 in 5.  What I'm liking about NH so far is there are probably best headphone for late night really low volume listening.  Most other headphone I have tried, I feel I need little more volume to get the clarity forward or even just a balanced sound.  But these NH are very well balanced even at lower volumes.  I don't know any other headphone that does this well.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #5,397 of 10,196

I like to experiment with EQ to get a better understanding of headphones' strengths and weaknesses.

I want to wait until the Mojo arrives before posting any real impressions. (Just in case it sounds dramatically better.)

My EQ changed over time...currently a small boost at 32 and 64 hz.  A small reduction at 125, 250, and 500.  Using itunes EQ.  

Bern

Hi Bern,

Wow, snap. I do a similar EQ on my iMAC iTUNES.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #5,399 of 10,196
Hi :)

I just orderd a Nighthawk Carbon here in my hometown Alkmaar. I have worn out a sennheiser hd600 and hd650 in the past, and I now own a Sennheiser hd700. The Sennheiser HD700 is a great headphone, but not for all types of music imo. So I have spend a lot of time looking, and leeching, for another headphone, and I almost ordered a new Sennheiser hd600 after dismissing other headphones. I want something really different then a Sennheiser hd700. Then I read someone's comment about the Nighthawk which according to him was very well suited for Pearl Jam (and that type of bands). Which is exactly what I'm looking for.

I do wonder if anyone here has some experience with using a Bluesound Node2 as a source for the Nighthawk?

It has a headphone output. And it would be a very flexible and powefull solution, even more now that they are going to add Roon in the firmware. There are very few ccomments about the quality of the Node 2 headphone output on the internet.

Cheers,
Amrit..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back