AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #5,371 of 10,194
Although I can wear my glasses under the NightHawk pads with no discomfort, it sounds better without my glasses and doesn't damage the pads either...so right now I'm leaning toward the computer to type...and it's killing my back. The things I do for better sound... If anyone has advice on that (aside from to get contacts or glasses with thinner frames) I'd appreciate it! (With larger headphones like these, I usually move the frames out from and over the pads, but that's not possible with these.)

mmm. Just tried the bass boost switch on my FiiO E11 Kilimanjaro for the first time with the NightHawk. It responds quite well to it! No noticeable distortion either.

@inthere
Like a year ago, @goodyfresh shared with me your reaction to the song "K1llwaiLL" by Hiroyuki Sawano. (Track 10 on the Kill La Kill Original Soundtrack.) If you don't mind me sharing it here: "****.  Crazy.  It sounds like *** is flying all around my head!  Wow." I got a kick out of that. haha. Did you first hear it with the NightHawk? Anyway, I played that track on the NightHawk. Spectacular.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #5,372 of 10,194

I have a Mojo coming in next week and will probably wait until then.

When you said you have some of my recommendations, did you mean you bought audio equipment I recommended? (I didn't see any on your signature and profile.)

And yes, STAX is my favorite for overall realism. The MT220 is more for fun, engaging music. And the NightHawk is definitely unique enough to have a place in any serious headphone collection. (If you're curious about other stuff I've had/heard, check out my profile.)

Hi, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on Mojo+NH vs your Stax at some point. I own Mojo+NH for quite a while, and I love the combo so much, I am not even really interested in anything else under £1000. Which is around the limit of my wallet at this point of my life. I always found the baby Stax appealing, but never pulled the trigger. IMO Mojo+NH is very realistic, the most realistic sound I heard so far, reproduced by headphones. That is why I am interested in a short comparison to the Stax. I know, electrostats are even more different than planars to dynamic drivers, but you might be able to give some impressions, after you spent some time with Mojo. Thanks in advance.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #5,373 of 10,194
That track was very disturbing, Can't remember if it was NH or Ether C I heard it on.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,374 of 10,194
  Hi, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on Mojo+NH vs your Stax at some point. I own Mojo+NH for quite a while, and I love the combo so much, I am not even really interested in anything else under £1000. Which is around the limit of my wallet at this point of my life. I always found the baby Stax appealing, but never pulled the trigger. IMO Mojo+NH is very realistic, the most realistic sound I heard so far, reproduced by headphones. That is why I am interested in a short comparison to the Stax. I know, electrostats are even more different than planars to dynamic drivers, but you might be able to give some impressions, after you spent some time with Mojo. Thanks in advance.

Sure thing!

(But note that it will be from memory, as I no longer own the STAX systems.)

I'm actually only using the onboard DAC of my Alienware M11x R2 laptop at the moment. It seems to be at the same level as the Schiit Modi 2, because I wasn't able to tell them apart in (admittedly brief) tests in the past. I'm hoping low-level DACs like these sound plain bad compared to the Mojo as some have implied. I wouldn't mind a significant leap in SQ with the same headphones. (I'm also curious to hear how high my Koss KTXPRO1 scales, since it sounds so ridiculously good despite costing $10.)

That track was very disturbing, Can't remember if it was NH or Ether C I heard it on.

I would describe it as epic!
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #5,376 of 10,194
I just got my brand new NightHawk and...um...I can't open it. :ph34r:

There's a lock thingamajigger holding the two zippers together. I tried messing with it with a small object, but I can't get it off.

Can someone please tell me how to unlock and open it? haha

I was gonna suggest you send it on over to me. I'd open it lickety-split :wink:

And about Oppo PM3... Boring, bright, not well-extended, crowded cups... Needless to say, I wasn't impressed :thumbsdown:

I do not remember saying that, but I am happy you enjoy your Nighthawks. In fact I was also a bit late to the party, the love started only with my second pair of Nighthawks 4 months ago. (After a superficial encounter I sold off my first pair about a year ago. Big mistake.) :)

Must've been somebody else then. Hmm, who could it have been?

I have so much to say about the sound of the NightHawk...but for now I'll say this: I can't stop bobbing my head. :L3000:

Yup :L3000:

Beer time :D

Beer + Nighthawks, a classic combination :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #5,377 of 10,194
Looking for thoughts/links pertaining to EQ, burn-in, and cables.

I feel like I've got a good handle on the stock tuning of the NightHawk. Now I'd like to experiment with a parametric equalizer. Starting from established efforts from others would be easier than doing it from scratch. I saw at least a few posts alluding to EQ settings people have discovered. If anyone could link me to those, that would be great. [insert Office Space meme here...lol]

I have personally never noticed mechanical burn-in with any headphone, no matter what I tried. (Including playing music for countless hours and pink noise on top of that.) But if others have shared their burn-in experiences, that's something I would be interested in links for as well.

Does the smaller stock cable sound different than the bigger one? (Don't feel like going through the ritual of opening the box again to find out.) I'm using the latter since it was recommended.

(I know I can use search techniques, but that basically only gives me random info, whereas the more experienced owners tend to follow the thread and can provide more pertinent wisdom.)

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #5,378 of 10,194
Just curious. A niggling frequency? or u just want to try? Both cables are decent to me in terms of sound, but i didnt really sit down and do an evaluation on them to be honest. I am supposed to get one from Peterek, will sit down when I get them and have some quiet time

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #5,380 of 10,194
Ok. Understood. I guess you will get different ideas as to this, but for me a small reduction in the 400 hz range with a parametric sounded pretty good. I tried it briefly and that was the only correction I felt was necessary for it. I dont use it now though, but may try it again. I really cant reference you to the others per say. I know that @dalethorn did one and its on his youtube channel as well so you may check there.

Two vids by him here

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #5,381 of 10,194

I like to experiment with EQ to get a better understanding of headphones' strengths and weaknesses.

I want to wait until the Mojo arrives before posting any real impressions. (Just in case it sounds dramatically better.)

My EQ changed over time...currently a small boost at 32 and 64 hz.  A small reduction at 125, 250, and 500.  Using itunes EQ.  

Bern

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #5,383 of 10,194
I tried this one with my old QP1R and i kinda like it. Now i have some question before i buy it. Does it need an amp to drive ? I saw audioquest released 2 new model. So this one vs nightowl carbon vs nighthawk carbon which one is better ?

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #5,384 of 10,194
I tried this one with my old QP1R and i kinda like it. Now i have some question before i buy it. Does it need an amp to drive ? I saw audioquest released 2 new model. So this one vs nightowl carbon vs nighthawk carbon which one is better ?

Just plugged it directly into my laptop to see how loud it gets. I would definitely recommend an amp. However, if you are using a DAP, it might have a more powerful amp than a computer already.

As for the NightHawk Carbon, here's a relevant post:

The sound signature is exactly the same. Based on some small refinements that we've made to a handful of the parts, we have noticed tighter manufacturing tolerances and consistency of the new NightHawk Carbon. All things being equal (A/B NightHawk Wood vs NightHawk Carbon with same earpads and cable and same amount of break-in), I don't expect anyone to hear a difference, but I may be surprised by forthcoming press and user reviews.

But the new cable is an improvement, and the extra, alternative set of ultra-suede earpads makes it possible to tailor the new NightHawk Carbon to personal preference.

Both the new cable and earpads will be available separately so existing NightHawk owners can get in on the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back