AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #5,327 of 10,194
Well I actually own the MH40s and that sounds like a very strange description of them. They are really anything but thin in my opinion (although I haven't heard alot of high end stuff). If I had to bet, fake seems likely based on your description. I absolutely love my MH40s I think I would like the Nighthawk as well based on what I've read here.

Yeah, I kind of suspect fake as well - I actually hope they were fake (not from the buyers point of view!) and that the product is much better than what I heard.
I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the Nighthawks. Any chance you can audition them somewhere?

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #5,329 of 10,194
Where's the hype on the Nightowl?

I just got them in and without a minute of burn in, I already feel like I wont be using my NH as much anymore lol. Compared to the original NH, these are a lot more dynamic, has wider soundstage, vocals are now more pronounced, more detailed with instruments and the bass is much tighter and precise. Basically the NO is more "fun" and not so laid back comapred to NH. New owners wont need acclimate themselves!

I'll start the burn in today and honestly I already love what I'm hearing compared to the first time I put on the NH. The new short cable is much more rugged and perfect length for me. Sure its now double the price, but its now double the fun for me!

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #5,330 of 10,194
Where's the hype on the Nightowl?

I just got them in and without a minute of burn in, I already feel like I wont be using my NH as much anymore lol. Compared to the original NH, these are a lot more dynamic, has wider soundstage, vocals are now more pronounced, more detailed with instruments and the bass is much tighter and precise. Basically the NO is more "fun" and not so laid back comapred to NH. New owners wont need acclimate themselves!

I'll start the burn in today and honestly I already love what I'm hearing compared to the first time I put on the NH. The new short cable is much more rugged and perfect length for me. Sure its now double the price, but its now double the fun for me!

I thought the same thing when I 1st put on the Nightowl, especially the wider soundstage part. My pair the soundstage closed in a bit with burn in. The bass filled out a bit and I think that's what compressed the soundstage.

The soundstage is still very impressive now after 100+ hours, but just not the phenomenal-without-peer-for-a-closed-can soundstage that it had when I 1st tried it on. The soundstage is now a touch smaller than the Nighthawk Wood-still the incredible detail and very similar tuning, it's my endgame portable

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #5,332 of 10,194
350 for headphones and the company includes garbage cables isn't acceptable.

350 is almost half of the normal retail price. Even if you decide to buy a third party cable, it is worth it. IMO NH is one of the best headphone on the market in any price range.

Folks, the stock cable is not garbage. In fact, it's Audioquest's solid core PCS+ copper conductors similar to their Castle Rock speaker cabling. 

Because it's solid conductors, that makes the cable not as flexible/sturdy as a stranded conductor cable (which their new ones are, in their new headphones). 

To me, solid conductors sound better so I actually like the older version. You just have to be a bit careful with it. 

True.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #5,333 of 10,194
  I did not know that tarnishing silver connectors was a thing, nor that it was something people would be concerned about (no judgement, just surprised)

Rather than shelling out for polish or cloths, polish with toothpaste. You can use a regular cloth or even a paper/kitchen towel. This goes for all silver (jewellery or whatever)

And since I'm sharing life-hacks: if you need to get blood out of fabric (lots of legit reasons you might have blood on fabric!) wash in a washing machine but add shampoo - just regular shampoo (I use Head and Shoulders for this) You can add it in place of conditioner, add it with detergent or simply add it to the bloodied area.

Finally, for the record, I have had no issues with either of the Nighthawk cables and, to be honest, I object to them being referred to as garbage. I don't doubt some have had issues and that those issues are a cause of annoyance and concern but even then, they are not garbage.

Speaking of blood, if you get a blood drop on your carpet, put an ice cube on it.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #5,334 of 10,194
How did this thread go from NHs' and audio to helpful household tips for blood removal??????

confused_face.gif

So.................Back to audio.............I just bought a new DAC / amp, the Oppo HA-2SE, and am very pleased with it's pairing with the NH. I am finding the detail I thought was there but wasn't hearing it compared to listening through speakers. It sounds very nice alone or line out into a tube amp. I was a bit concerned about too much top end tizz with the Oppo HA-2SE using the ESS Sabre DAC, but I like the sound and new level of detail!

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #5,335 of 10,194
  How did this thread go from NHs' and audio to helpful household tips for blood removal??????

confused_face.gif

Didn't you see the 300 page discussion on how blood sacrifice accelerates the rate at which the NHs burn in?

Here's my input on the original solid core cable: I had mine reterminated for a balanced TRRS adapter so that I can use it with the GOV2 I had at the time. This also meant I could realistically connect it to my other sources easily so long as I had the right adapter while keeping the connector bit nice and compact. Anyhow, I'm guessing whatever they did while reterminating it kept it from breaking, because I've had no issues with my cable so far. I'm also nowhere near as gentle with it as some of you guys are; I've braided it to cut down on the length and I'll oftentimes toss it in my laptop bag and effectively treat it as an on-the-go cable. The stiffness from the solid core definitely shows at the ends of the braid where it has to bend all the way around again, but it otherwise seems to be quite pliable in the rest of the cable.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #5,339 of 10,194
I am thinking of getting some bio-cell driver headphones, and have been looking at the original NH for a while.  I haven't had a chance to audition them, but my son did, and says that his T50RP sounds as good if not better.  So I am confused by this, just wondering if that could be, or did the NH that he heard need to be burned in?  They were at a Magnolia shop in Best Buy.
But then figured maybe the Panasonic or CAL might be good.  Not sure, but I know those are both really low end.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #5,340 of 10,194
I am thinking of getting some bio-cell driver headphones, and have been looking at the original NH for a while.  I haven't had a chance to audition them, but my son did, and says that his T50RP sounds as good if not better.  So I am confused by this, just wondering if that could be, or did the NH that he heard need to be burned in?  They were at a Magnolia shop in Best Buy.
But then figured maybe the Panasonic or CAL might be good.  Not sure, but I know those are both really low end.

I been to a few canjams and been to other store locally that has a lot of cans (cloth and metal), plus Best Buy. I go to these places listen to some cans often. I currently own nighthawks they sound much better after about 5 hours of listening, in this case brain burn in. The cans at these stores and can jam had more hours than mine. But mine are now past 100 hours. I did notice a difference from burn too but they were not a whole lot different. But really brain burn in on these are something.
With that said NH were never impressive to me with a quick listen. But after being wrong about many others with the quick listen I realized most these just need more time. I'm rethinking now how effective canjam or in store additions really are. I need a few hours in quiet envorment to really get a good impression.
The feel size and look of a product is good for auditions but not so much sound. Anyone who has done a lot auditioning outside of home or work probably understand what I'm trying to say.
So this probably doesn't help you much. I'm just pointing out Best Buy listen probably doesn't tell you much about what you will end up liking or not liking about the sound. But I'm sure you can at least experience how comfortable they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back