AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #4,891 of 10,196
betula hi, I remember you from X2 thread. :smile:  I remember you had TH-X00 as well. Which one do you prefer for EDM? I'm kind of between TH-610/Emu Teak, Nighthawk/Owl, BW P7W...

Hi, I remember you as well. IMO nothing beats the Fostex bass for EDM. Unfortunately it comes with harsh treble, and my ears do not tolerate that.
I find the Nighthawk superior to the X00s. Bass is less punchy on the NH, but still absolutely satisfying with EDM. In everything else NH just destroys X00. Mids are more forward and natural, treble is smooth but not lacking at all, instrument separation and soundstage clearer, less crowded.
You do need 150 hrs burn in with NH, do not judge it before that. Also, from poor source they are not as impressive as they can be with a better DAC.

For my purpose (enjoying music with good bass and gentle treble) they are just perfect. I feel, I have found "my" headphones.

P5 did not impress me at all, so maybe for this reason I was never interested in P7.

Nightowl can be another good option, but AQ is just starting to sell it these weeks (as far as I know) so not many people tried them yet.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,892 of 10,196
  I wore them and I think that the ambient noise of the airplane itself made it so others didn't even notice.  The external noise did, however, remove a sense of "hi-fi" to the experience.  You lose a great deal of detail.   That being said, I'll be wearing them on the way home.  These are a fun set of headphones!

I would never consider the Nighthawk's on a plane. Aside from how bulky they are for travel, there is simply way too much engine noise on a plane. You'd have to listen at a high volume just to be able to overcome the loud noice and enjoy the music, which could be damaging to your hearing. Just not worth it. I'd rather have no headphones than the Nighthawk's on a plane. 

For plane travel, the Bose noise-canceling headphones like the QC25 reign king. Alternatively, in-ears that seal really well work great too. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,894 of 10,196
I'm using the Meze 99 Classics when I'm traveling 
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #4,895 of 10,196
Any comparisons between the ZMF Ori (formerly Omni) vs Nighthawks?  I currently own the Ori's but am really wanting to try out the Nighthawks as well.  Since they are both semi-open, I would likely only keep one around.  Unfortunately where I am located, there are no meets and no chance to audition it myself.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #4,896 of 10,196

Comfort issues Skylar and all

I have had set of NHs for 10 days and REALLY love the sound but they are causing significant pain in my left ear. I want to hasten to add that this is not necessary a design flaw as I am a very large person and outside of the normal one size fits all range for nearly all things. As such I have had to learn to accept good enough or adapt things to fit all my life. Anyway I still have more than two weeks to return these but I really want to find a way to make the NHs work.

The pain is in the left (only) ear lob and that little bump of exterior flesh above the ear canal. I have to assume my left ear is bigger than my right all though it is hard to be sure looking in the mirror At this point I am assuming the answer is ear pads with a larger interior diameter. I took delivery of a set of Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads today but they are not going on the NH ring. Apparently some HM5 pads have an interior horizontal diameter of 40 mm (mine) and others are 50 mm.

I will reorder but other suggestions are most appreciated

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #4,897 of 10,196

I have had set of NHs for 10 days and REALLY love the sound but they are causing significant pain in my left ear. I want to hasten to add that this is not necessary a design flaw as I am a very large person and outside of the normal one size fits all range for nearly all things. As such I have had to learn to accept good enough or adapt things to fit all my life. Anyway I still have more than two weeks to return these but I really want to find a way to make the NHs work.

The pain is in the left (only) ear lob and that little bump of exterior flesh above the ear canal. I have to assume my left ear is bigger than my right all though it is hard to be sure looking in the mirror At this point I am assuming the answer is ear pads with a larger interior diameter. I took delivery of a set of Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads today but they are not going on the NH ring. Apparently some HM5 pads have an interior horizontal diameter of 40 mm (mine) and others are 50 mm.

I think you are on the right track with the deeper pads. Didn't know about the 2 sizes, guess I got lucky with mine. I have the BW angled velour & feel that moving the drivers farther from the ear has sonic benefits on the soundstage or openness. Female vocals are just right now. Hope you get it worked out so you can enjoy the NHs.
kev

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #4,898 of 10,196
Thanks @SkylarGray and everyone else who commented on NH use on planes. I will box them and put them in my luggage and rely on IEMs (Havi B3 Pro 1) - possibly with my poor, dejected ATH M50s as back up!

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #4,899 of 10,196

edit.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #4,900 of 10,196
guys...I am getting creaking noises on the outer cups - sounds like it's coming from the little rubber band suspension mechanism.   Is this normal?   It's not really a big deal when listening to music, as it only happens when I move the cups and take headphone on and off but just wanted to know if it's a common occurrence.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4,901 of 10,196
guys...I am getting creaking noises on the outer cups - sounds like it's coming from the little rubber band suspension mechanism.   Is this normal?   It's not really a big deal when listening to music, as it only happens when I move the cups and take headphone on and off but just wanted to know if it's a common occurrence.

I've never noticed it. Using the Hawks right now and mine is silent when taking them on and off.

Maybe it's the 3D printed vent not mounted properly on the earcup?

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #4,903 of 10,196
Is there a mailing list to get notified when the pads are available for purchase?

It is highly unlikely that such a mailing list exists.
If you keep an eye on this thread, I am sure the availability of the new pads will be announced here as soon as possible.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,904 of 10,196
The creaking doesn't seem to be coming from the vents, but the those little rubber bands.  I can't be entirely sure though.  I guess it's not a normal occurrence though.  It's not like I put them to heavy use.  I got them on November 10th and am very careful with them - always in the case after each use and have never taken them outside the house. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #4,905 of 10,196
  The creaking doesn't seem to be coming from the vents, but the those little rubber bands.  I can't be entirely sure though.  I guess it's not a normal occurrence though.  It's not like I put them to heavy use.  I got them on November 10th and am very careful with them - always in the case after each use and have never taken them outside the house. 

Maybe it's your NightHawks way of protesting.....perhaps you have spent too much time away from her?  
etysmile.gif

No squeaking from mine.  Did your lower mids open up yet?  The NightHawk handles EQ very well IMO.  I'm not sure I ever believe in burn-in...but have perceived a change....maybe it's just my brain adapting.  

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back