AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #4,906 of 10,196
  Maybe it's your NightHawks way of protesting.....perhaps you have spent too much time away from her?  
etysmile.gif

No squeaking from mine.  Did your lower mids open up yet?  The NightHawk handles EQ very well IMO.  I'm not sure I ever believe in burn-in...but have perceived a change....maybe it's just my brain adapting.  

Bern

Bern - LOL...yeah, maybe too much TLC and fawning over the Z1R lately and they've gotten jealous.

Seriously, I still really like the NH.  I haven't detected changes in sound signature but if the music is well mastered they do shine.  So in that sense it is a very accurate headphone, despite the rep in some circles as being "veiled."  Obviously switching to the Z1R reveals some of the NH shortcomings but as I said on that thread it's not a fair comparison. 

I am just perplexed by the creaking.  It's not subtle either but very noticeable.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,907 of 10,196
The nighthawks are getting more and more exclusivity on my head after a few weeks of ownership. They have an overall edge of precision, on top of a softer cushion of warmth It's kind of a great blend of a precise, dynamic sound mixed equally with a softer, thicker, slightly diffused cloud.

I'd recommend anyone with the Nighthawks to check this video, wonderful vocal performance, and the ambience on the low mids of the guitars and harmonies work really well on the hawks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDM6V08wcE

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #4,908 of 10,196
Comfort issues Skylar and all

I have had set of NHs for 10 days and REALLY love the sound but they are causing significant pain in my left ear. I want to hasten to add that this is not necessary a design flaw as I am a very large person and outside of the normal one size fits all range for nearly all things. As such I have had to learn to accept good enough or adapt things to fit all my life. Anyway I still have more than two weeks to return these but I really want to find a way to make the NHs work.

The pain is in the left (only) ear lob and that little bump of exterior flesh above the ear canal. I have to assume my left ear is bigger than my right all though it is hard to be sure looking in the mirror At this point I am assuming the answer is ear pads with a larger interior diameter. I took delivery of a set of Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads today but they are not going on the NH ring. Apparently some HM5 pads have an interior horizontal diameter of 40 mm (mine) and others are 50 mm.

I will reorder but other suggestions are most appreciated

Please remove the top portion (tip) of your ears and it should be fixed.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #4,911 of 10,196
Dec 6, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #4,913 of 10,196
  @SkylarGray When will the new headphone stand be available?:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNkgZo9BgpV/

The one in that photo is the only complete sample that exists right now!

We have finished up all of the tooling and die-cast molds, packaging, and assembly process. So now we are turning on the production machine.
At CES this coming year in early January, we will show off-the-production-line units and officially announce the details.
It's looking like availability will be in January or February.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #4,915 of 10,196

We have finished up all of the tooling and die-cast molds, packaging, and assembly process. So now we are turning on the production machine.
At CES this coming year in early January, we will show off-the-production-line units and officially announce the details.

Thanks for the timeline/update!

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #4,916 of 10,196

I love the fact that it has a wide arc on the 'arm' of the stand which will be great for a wide variety of headphones and headbands. Looks great!

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #4,917 of 10,196

OK @SkylarGray and all the others here who try to encourage me to make another attempt, I'll do it
smile.gif
. On Monday I will contact a local dealer (HiFi Studio Linzbach, a very renowned dealer in Bonn, Germany, who sells high-end equipment including Audioquest cables), where I bought most of my hifi devices during the last 15 years. I'll ask him if it is possible to order an original NH for me. If he agrees, I can be sure to receive a brand new unused/unopened example. I'll give you a notice how the story goes on.

Thanks to all of you for liking my photography work
tongue.gif

My local dealer cannot order a new original NH, he says it's sold out (only some web stores still offer the original NH, but after my latest experiences I will refrain from order online again). But he made a good special offer to me for the new NH C(arbon) which has just arrived in his store. I agreed and if nothing goes wrong I will have the NH C on my head later this afternoon.
The only thing I have to add is an extension cable because the cable coming with the NH C is too short for my needs. It's obviously for use with smartphones/DAP stored in your jacket pocket only (
wink.gif
) but not for use with an amp in your (my) living room, where I have a clearly farther distance to my seat than 1.3 meter. I assume this applies to a lot of other people, too.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #4,920 of 10,196
  Hello Skylar, I see that new Nighthawks come with a very short cable, any options for a longer one?

Would be glad to see the Audioquest store opening soon, with replacement pads, cables in different lenght, and the headphone stand available
rolleyes.gif
(of course for European / German customers also).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back