AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4,861 of 10,196
Not dissappointed mind you, just not what I was expecting after all the talk of sucked out mids and lack of extension up top or at least it being hidden by the overwhelming bass. I dont really get that. Its more even soundingthan I thought it would be.. lol.

Listening now to some Major Lazer and the brashness of be together is coming through. But I think that is how its recorded not a fault of the headphone. Giving them some burnin... maybe at least 20 hrs before I delve into the more detailed listening.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,862 of 10,196
Am I a bad person if I wear them on the airplane?

No or else I'm a bad guy as well. I take them camping (in a tent). There is nothing better in the world sitting on a canvas chair in the shade, next to a chilly bin full of beer, listening to music using the Hawks.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,863 of 10,196
No or else I'm a bad guy as well. I take them camping (in a tent). There is nothing better in the world sitting on a canvas chair in the shade, next to a chilly bin full of beer, listening to music using the Hawks.

Now there's a man who has his priorities straight!
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,868 of 10,196
I use mine in the office, loud, no complaints. 0lane should be fine.

I like beer, sure. The hawks also respond well to something with a bit more kick.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #4,871 of 10,196
  @nmatheis did a great review which sums up the pads nicely I think. Check out his vid and post.
I hope more people will chime in with their experiences as these pads start to circulate. Here's my take:

I think of it like room treatment; after all, the spaces within the earpads are like mini rooms.

Take a look at the inner panel of the OG NightHawk pads (we call them "Classic" pads) versus the Boost pads. Otherwise, these pads are identical in construction.

We use an ultrasuede inner panel on the Classic pads (left) and a protein leather inner panel on the Boost pads (right). This would be akin to treating wall surfaces with more absorptive material or more reflective material, respectively.

Don't expect a wholesale change when comparing these pads; the liquidity is retained regardless of which set one uses.

I find that vocal prominence is enhanced with the Boost pads which have a tendency to provide a sense of treble clarity due to slight reflection of upper-mids instead of slight absorption. The Boost pads will not change the response below 1kHz; however, I find that, perceptually, because the upper-mid/treble becomes very slightly "boosted," the lower mid/mid bass region is now less prominent. 

Engagement? That's entirely subjective, so I cannot answer that one definitively. Personally, I am liking the all-ultrasuede pads lately. 

We decided to put these pad options out there and let the users decide. I think everyone will have their own preference. Very soon we will make these available through our website. We are testing the shop right now and making sure we can process orders. Once that is complete, I will post here.

Excellent! I can't wait to try the boost pads. If they actually increase the clarity in the  presence region without comprising the Nighthawk's full, liquid, and relaxing character, then you will have opened the golden doors to audio Nirvana (for me at least). I can't wait to give you more of my hard earned money. Do you hear that? A crazed horde of Nighthawk fanatics is storming your gates. Hurry! Release the boost pads.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4,872 of 10,196
10 hours in. 

Enjoyable , thats for sure. Great bass, clean sound, full sounding. I do get the complaint about the upperbass rise. I tried an experiment in Vox using an audio unit to pull 400hz down about 4db and I see what some people are talking about, but its not as bad as its made out to be. Will see what burn in would do. only about 10 hrs in.

Overall, I am pleased. Can't complain. I will definitely like to try the other pads though, would be interesting to hear. 

D

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #4,873 of 10,196
  Excellent! I can't wait to try the boost pads.

Yep, they INDEED do" increase the clarity in the  presence region without comprising the Nighthawk's full, liquid, and relaxing character!"

I was looking for a little more in the highs and the boost pads deliver................I think AQ and Skylar have nailed it as these pads compliment the NH's and IMO make them a better hp!!!
I think Skylar has under-promised and over delivered with the boost   pads..............they are that good.
dt880smile.png

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #4,874 of 10,196

Yep, they INDEED do" increase the clarity in the  presence region without comprising the Nighthawk's full, liquid, and relaxing character!"

I was looking for a little more in the highs and the boost pads deliver................I think AQ and Skylar have nailed it as these pads compliment the NH's and IMO make them a better hp!!!
I think Skylar has under-promised and over delivered with the boost   pads..............they are that good.
dt880smile.png

Does this mean: it's better to wait for the NH carbon available (better cable, better pads, better headband, AND: better sound) !! ??
confused.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #4,875 of 10,196

Does this mean: it's better to wait for the NH carbon available (better cable, better pads, better headband, AND: better sound) !! ??
confused.gif

Not here in the states where the NH is currently $350US. At $600 retail it was a good hp at a fair price. At $350 it is a steal!

I quit trying to twist your arm a few days ago, K P K
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back