AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #4,411 of 10,196
NAD hp50 was a disappointment to me. Sound, comfort, built, everything was under my expectations. Nighthawk is another dimension IMO. 

NAD build...creaky cups. Seems to be the case with other plasic cups as well. So happy with the build quality of the NH. Hope they last forever.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #4,413 of 10,196
Nighthawk is such a weird and unique sounding phones. Every time I put it on, I can't stand the sound coming out of it for about 5-10mins, but then after about 15mins, I am totally hooked & immersed in its sound signature.

I would say the same to a degree. For me, if I was just listening to "brighter" cans, then yes it takes a few minutes to adjust. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #4,416 of 10,196
I just can't believe these headphones are not more popular. I don't find them dark at all. I am also finding any bass bloom to be slowly disappearing, and a clear, detailed natural sound to be forming. The music just sounds like it is right in front of me, without the headphone there. In particular I find these do very well with female vocals, something I was very disappointed Ted in the HD650 with considering they get such a following for vocals.

Just beautiful sounding headphones.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,417 of 10,196
I just can't believe these headphones are not more popular. I don't find them dark at all. I am also finding any bass bloom to be slowly disappearing, and a clear, detailed natural sound to be forming. The music just sounds like it is right in front of me, without the headphone there. In particular I find these do very well with female vocals, something I was very disappointed Ted in the HD650 with considering they get such a following for vocals.

I'm also still blown away by the NightHawk.

It's a shame that I have waited 2 years before trying them.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,418 of 10,196

I would concur, 100%.

:beerchug:

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #4,420 of 10,196

Agree with your comments too. And I've only had them for a couple of weeks. Just love the feel and comfort and the effortless way it presents music. Smooth operators is an apt way to describe them...

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4,421 of 10,196
Getting the Little Dot MKiii on Thursday ...looking forward to trying it out with the Nighthawks.

Question - is 32 ohm considered "medium" impedance? Just curious as the Little Dot has different gain settings depending on impedance / sensitivity of headphone.

I set my gain so that the '2' switch is down (away from the '2') and the '1' switch is up - I played with all the variations and that was the one that worked best for me.

It's very easy to change them around and part of the fun of having the amp in the early days. I tend to overpower the NHs (Hi Gain on my C5) - even though I don't push them to very high volumes, I prefer the sound.

I'm sure you're completely aware of this but the tubes on the LD will definitely need burning in - as will subsequent tubes you buy. I have given each of my sets of tubes 20 hours before properly listening and the sound changes dramatically. I figure twenty is the bare minimum, and then all other listening effectively counts as burn in.

Let us know how you get on with the LD and NH pairing - I think you're going to enjoy :xf_eek:)

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,422 of 10,196
given the fact that AQ sells some pretty stout and expensive cables, I am left scratching my head wondering why the cables they provide with the Nighthawk are so flimsy (even the 4 pin XLR). I am happy with the cans, but am I being too picky about the cables?

Yes, the cables suck. My mobile cable came new with a major channel imbalance. I like a impact audio cables and I have a balanced cable coming from Lindsay.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #4,423 of 10,196
  given the fact that AQ sells some pretty stout and expensive cables, I am left scratching my head wondering why the cables they provide with the Nighthawk are so flimsy (even the 4 pin XLR). I am happy with the cans, but am I being too picky about the cables?

Because they're actually solid conductors inside. Solid conductors are great for audio quality, but not so great for durability/strength. 

I really like the Nighthawk cable (better than anything stranded) and even had a 4-pin balanced one made up. You just have to be careful with it. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #4,424 of 10,196

Because they're actually solid conductors inside. Solid conductors are great for audio quality, but not so great for durability/strength. 

I really like the Nighthawk cable and even had a 4-pin balanced one made up. You just have to be careful with it. 

thanks, now that I know they are solid conductors I will use extra care

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #4,425 of 10,196

I would concur, 100%.
beerchug.gif

I completely agree with you guys. I feel I found my headphones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back