AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 13, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #4,367 of 10,196

a taste like no other....

The best thing is for long music sessions. They sound full and speaker like. No matter how long you use them for they never sound sibilant.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #4,368 of 10,196
Something seems muffled..but I'm gonna burn it in and report back.  I've enjoyed it so far, not thinking of returning it..but something is definitely there that I'm not used to hearing.

Burn in definitely makes a different. You can also try the Brainwavz HM-5 angled pleather (only version I've tried yet), which will give you a sound signature similar to slightly breaking the seal with the stock pads. I find more treble and less bloated bass. The "wool blanket" effect is lifted. I will have to go back and try the stock pads again, too.

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #4,369 of 10,196
Burn in definitely makes a different. You can also try the Brainwavz HM-5 angled pleather (only version I've tried yet), which will give you a sound signature similar to slightly breaking the seal with the stock pads. I find more treble and less bloated bass. The "wool blanket" effect is lifted. I will have to go back and try the stock pads again, too.

I struggled to like the NH at first. On some of Jennifer Warnes recordings, I felt that her voice was somewhat obscured by the bass. It wasn't until I got the HM5 angled velour pads that I  warmed to the NH. On that same recording it sounded like she stepped out from behind the bass player & took her proper place on stage. I have not noticed anything that I lost with the new pads. Along with the velour having an effect, I think the depth of the pads has played a big part in the new sound. By moving the drivers out that small amount, I think helped open up the sound. If I press the earpieces in against my head, I can begin to hear the sound signature of the stock pads. I am anxious to try some of the new pads from AQ. 
kev

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #4,371 of 10,196
I've got about 10 minutes on my Nighthawks.  They're confusing. :)  Veiled but you hear everything.... I'll burn them in a few days and report back.  A little less bass than I was expecting, but I verge on being a basshead.  Running them on a Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack. 

Mine just hit ±100hrs burn in, I kinda feel the same way. That said, I do feel tge OG Bifrost was a bass-lean, especially sub-bass. I haven't hooked up my NHs to my main rig yet (just moved), so super curious how they sound connected to my AudiGD powerhouse.

That said, to each their own... I found the mid-bass bloom to be slightly richer than I remembered when I demo'd last.

Question for the crowd... Anyone notice vertical positioning changing the sound? (I tend to get more clairity and less bass bloom when the drivers sit more vertical on the ear l, rather than centered.)

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,372 of 10,196
Question for the crowd... Anyone notice vertical positioning changing the sound? (I tend to get more clairity and less bass bloom when the drivers sit more vertical on the ear l, rather than centered.)

Due to the suspension system and maybe the way my head is, mine just sit how they sit... I cannot change any positioning.  Regardless, I am more than happy with the sound.   No lack of clarity. However, I do not listen for anything in particular to criticize or praise.  I just get into my music and don't really think about that.  I just know I am comfortable , I am truly enjoying my music and listener's fatigue has become a thing of the past.  It just works.  Is bass "bloom" something negative?  I am not sure how to look for that.  Bass just seems natural to me on my music and seems to extend low enough... from Leonard Cohen, Lee Harvey Osmond, or Mark Knopfler to Yello or Massive Attack. 

I am so happy that I went ahead and ordered these in spite of some of the negative comments I had read.  I have had them for a month now.  I just hope that my other nice headphones don't fall by the wayside. The NADs might because of comfort issues (clamp).

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #4,373 of 10,196
  I've got about 10 minutes on my Nighthawks.  They're confusing. :)  Veiled but you hear everything.... I'll burn them in a few days and report back.  A little less bass than I was expecting, but I verge on being a basshead.  Running them on a Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack. 

I had the Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack prior to the Chord Mojo. I like the Mojo paired with NightHawk quite a bit more than the Bifrost//Asgard 2.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,374 of 10,196
I have a JDS O2 amp hooked up to a phono preamp when listening to my turntable, and wondering if there are any other solid state amps to recommend with the NH in the $150 to $200 range.  I thought about Schiit Magni 2 but haven't liked their other products (phono stage and the Vali tube amp) so maybe not much a difference with the O2.   I was also considering the Little Dot MkII.   It's a tube amp but I hear it doesn't color the sound too much.  Btw, when listening with the iPhone, I just got a DragonFly Red, and it sounds phenomenal with the NH.

Apart from sound, I continue to be mightily impressed with the luxuriousness and comfort level of the NH.  They are truly a pleasure to wear and there are no small or nagging issues to contend with like other headphones, like clamp force, headband pressure, overall weight.  I haven't even experienced the protein leather pads getting too warm either.   I will still get the micro suede pads though when they come out because I am too curious.  

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #4,375 of 10,196
If you can save up the Mojo and Nighthawks are an amazing marriage of sound. It is because the Nighthawks best present the incredible resolving DAC in the Mojo, also because the Mojo is able smoothly drive the Nighthawks.
On the Mojo thread it is also realised the Nighthawks are excellent with the Mojo.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #4,378 of 10,196
Mine just hit ±100hrs burn in, I kinda feel the same way. That said, I do feel tge OG Bifrost was a bass-lean, especially sub-bass. I haven't hooked up my NHs to my main rig yet (just moved), so super curious how they sound connected to my AudiGD powerhouse.

That said, to each their own... I found the mid-bass bloom to be slightly richer than I remembered when I demo'd last.

I'm going to try some of the pads recommended earlier in the thread. I wonder if my dumbo ears are creating a different experience than others have reported.

It will be interesting to sees how my mojo changes the sound as well.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #4,379 of 10,196

Due to the suspension system and maybe the way my head is, mine just sit how they sit... I cannot change any positioning.  Regardless, I am more than happy with the sound.   No lack of clarity. However, I do not listen for anything in particular to criticize or praise.  I just get into my music and don't really think about that.  I just know I am comfortable , I am truly enjoying my music and listener's fatigue has become a thing of the past.  It just works.  Is bass "bloom" something negative?  I am not sure how to look for that.  Bass just seems natural to me on my music and seems to extend low enough... from Leonard Cohen, Lee Harvey Osmond, or Mark Knopfler to Yello or Massive Attack. 

I am so happy that I went ahead and ordered these in spite of some of the negative comments I had read.  I have had them for a month now.  I just hope that my other nice headphones don't fall by the wayside. The NADs might because of comfort issues (clamp).

I just downloaded Albums from Artists you highlighted in your post "Leonard Cohen, Lee Harvey Osmond and Mark Knopfler".
Listening to them now on my Nighthawks via Mojo and Apple iMac.
Sounds amazing.
You have good taste in music.
More recommendations are welcome.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,380 of 10,196
Just got an email from AQ that they've released 2 new models based on the Nighthawk. Apparently a slightly modified one and also a closed back version.

http://personal.audioquest.com/

I've already sold by NH a few months ago but I might be tempted to give the new line a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back