AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #3,796 of 10,196
Design integrity, center of gravity, ease of use, durability, elegance. But it's unfair of me to say that since you haven't seen mine yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fair enough. I was really responding to the previous post that was implying that somehow I am damaging my cans placing them on Woo stands, which I would dispute.

I look forward to seeing the ultimate in headphone stands. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,798 of 10,196
I think the Nighthawks and HD650 are two good to own Headphones as each have their own sonic character benefits.

My HD650's are powered with a LINN Amp into a TV= (for TV - Movies/programs).

My Nighthawks are powered with the Chord Mojo into an Apple iMac + Audioquest Jitterbug + Audioquest micro USB Forest cable = (purely for Music Listening).

If I had the budget I would probably replace the HD650 with the Focal Elear, but that again would be a contrasting Headphone to the Nighthawks and so I would keep both.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3,799 of 10,196
  The new Agnes Obel album - Citizen of Glass sounds just sublime with the hawks! 
L3000.gif

I am a big fan off her previous albums, despite the painfully exaggerated mid-range on the piano notes.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #3,800 of 10,196
For Prog Rock (Opeth, Yes, Jethro Tull) I vastly prefer the NHs to my HD-650s (or anything else I have). For some music, like female vocals (e.g. Diana Panton, Julia Holter), nothing beats the 650s.

Agreed, the NHs are amazing with most rock music, prog in particular - I listen to a lot of female vocals however and jazz-y/blues and folk music in general (eg. Lera Lynn, Diana Krall, Sarah Blasko, Joss Stone, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen and the likes) hence I still keep the HD650s around, they are fantastic with that sorta stuff.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,802 of 10,196
Thanks a lot guys!  I just ordered a brand new pair of Nighthawk from headphonebar. :D   (I will drive them with the Jotunheim and the Vali 2)

Nice!

I actually just bought NH and 99 Classics at RMAF. NH for home. 99 Classics for office. Waiting for the larger pads for the 99 Classics, as they mage a huge difference for me with resoect to comfort.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #3,804 of 10,196
  I've been loving various atmospheric, moody art rock on the Nighthawks, such as recent Marillion and Gazpacho, and the exquisite Irish art-folkers Clannad. Beautiful together

Ok, queuing some Clannad now.  Right now I am listening to Silver Swans - Forever which is often a bit painful for me on some other headphones. because of the high voices. Sounding amazing on the Nighthouse.  Very easy to listen to.  Still amazed how physically comfortable these are as well.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,805 of 10,196
Nice to get some more rocking suggestions :D

My Nighthawks still only got about 50 hrs on them, but I can already say they are a much better Rock headphone, than my previous favorite ATH W1000X.
I love old Arctic Monkeys, especially the album 'favorite worst nightmare' on the Nighthawks.

Rage against the machine is also great especially the crazy stuff like the synthesizer sounds in 'Know your Enemy'

Can't wait to get my new cable and fully burn them in to hear their full potential with Mojo :)

Cheers

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,806 of 10,196
Nice!

I actually just bought NH and 99 Classics at RMAF. NH for home. 99 Classics for office. Waiting for the larger pads for the 99 Classics, as they mage a huge difference for me with resoect to comfort.

They will. Just got larger pads last week and it's much better. Btw, how does the NH compare to the Meze? I let go of the NH last year because of the price and I couldn't get used to the sound signature. I wasn't looking for more treble but it just felt like I was losing some detail and it seemed a little cloudy. It's a beautiful headphone though and I probably regret not giving them more of a chance. Just going by what I remember from the NH the Meze seems a bit forward in the midrange and perhaps a little looser in the bass as compared to the NH.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,807 of 10,196
I had a similar experience to MattTCG, I played the Nighthawk side by side with my then-just-purchased HifiMan HE400S
and the Nighthawks sounded less linear and with some minute distortion-grunge between the notes on classical and soundtrack material played from the same source (disc, amp).

It is however a very minute problem that would not be apparent if you just owned the Nighthawks (the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn).

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,808 of 10,196
LaCuffia: I got to try 99 Classics with the larger pads at RMAF. It really improved comfort without altering the sound (at least not significantly). As far as sound goes, I don't have them both in front of me to try but I'd say that 99 Classics have a more "fun" sound signature with boosted (but not boomy) bass and also boosted (but not bright) upper mids. Not a such a smooth operator as Nighthawk.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #3,809 of 10,196
Ok, queuing some Clannad now.  Right now I am listening to Silver Swans - Forever which is often a bit painful for me on some other headphones. because of the high voices. Sounding amazing on the Nighthouse.  Very easy to listen to.  Still amazed how physically comfortable these are as well.

As far as comfort and weight, I think NH are exactly what all headphones should be. As far as sound goes that varies ear to ear :D

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #3,810 of 10,196
Nice!

We will have the same setup 
wink.gif

I'm using the Meze at the office and the NightHawk will stay at home.

I've been loving various atmospheric, moody art rock on the Nighthawks, such as recent Marillion and Gazpacho, and the exquisite Irish art-folkers Clannad. Beautiful together.

I'm also a big fan of Marillion and Gazpacho.  The new Marillion is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back