AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2,566 of 10,196

It has output transformers.  Nighthawk is pretty easy to drive.  Should be easy with any tube amp.

You'll want an amp with relatively low output impedance so OTLs aren't a good idea, but a tube amp with output transformer and most solid state amps will sound great with NightHawks. There are a few solid state amps around with unusually high output importance (like the original phonitor), but it's unusual.

right on thanks guys - im still new to this stuff and still learning... so i used to think all high end cans were high impedance, so now is low impedance the future? 

i dont have a ton of money to spend though, so will the littledot i+ with some mullard 6hm5s drive these nicely with a nice vintage warm honey sound?

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,567 of 10,196
Enjoy tubes rolling.  A lot of sweet tubes can be found for very little cost these days.  

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,568 of 10,196
  Enjoy tubes rolling.  A lot of sweet tubes can be found for very little cost these days.  

You're joking, right? The price of "sweet" tubes has exploded over the last couple of years (hell, even over that last year alone).

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,569 of 10,196
I've been tube rolling for 15+ years and I think the prices are about the same, however, tubes are not cheap now nor have they ever been imo.

Be ready to spend a good $1000+ the 1st couple years just feeling your way around. Try to find an amp like Project Ember that takes only one tube and you'll save

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,570 of 10,196
I love my Hawks and would be awesome to get portable NH sound.

Also my balanced hybrid cable just arrived:)

Great to hear that you are enjoying the NH 
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you find you needed much time to adjust to them or did they seem 'right' from first listen?

btw the new cable looks great. Is it one of Forza's?

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,571 of 10,196

Great to hear that you are enjoying the NH 
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you find you needed much time to adjust to them or did they seem 'right' from first listen?

btw the new cable looks great. Is it one of Forza's?

I needed one day to adjust, but my unit had already 200h+ on count. Now they're 300+. The cable is audeos.pl, also from Poland as FAW.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,572 of 10,196

even the DF1.2 is friggin' wonderful.

I picked a DF1.2 cheap today (stock clearance to make room for the newer models). To be honest, I bought it purely to get a feel for how much better than the 1.2 the Red would have to be to get close to the Mojo. Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning to pick up a Red & sell the Mojo & the 1.2 (both list for sale at the moment), but for the £70 I paid, that 1.2 is sweet & pairs with the Nighthawks really well! 

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,573 of 10,196

I needed one day to adjust, but my unit had already 200h+ on count. Now they're 300+. The cable is audeos.pl, also from Poland as FAW.

That's not bad going! Took me a good week or so to get my ears round them. Glad I could do my bit in helping to pre-burn them in for you :D

I hadn't been aware of audeos.pl so will need to check out their cables.

Was good trading with you and I hope the NH gives you many many  hours of enjoyment!

Best,
Mark

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,574 of 10,196

That's not bad going! Took me a good week or so to get my ears round them. Glad I could do my bit in helping to pre-burn them in for you :D

I hadn't been aware of audeos.pl so will need to check out their cables.

Was good trading with you and I hope the NH gives you many many  hours of enjoyment!

Best,
Mark

Thanks, Mark!

Just to let You and the others know. Original cable delivered with NightHawk sounds great. I did a replacement because my stock cable is broken and I needed one for the time of warranty exchange. There are no audible changes between two.

Good job AQ!

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,576 of 10,196
I've been tube rolling for 15+ years and I think the prices are about the same, however, tubes are not cheap now nor have they ever been imo.

Be ready to spend a good $1000+ the 1st couple years just feeling your way around. Try to find an amp like Project Ember that takes only one tube and you'll save

I stopped "tube rolling" a few years ago after I discovered that there were New stock tubes that work at least as well (& current tubes I'm using, better than) $$$ NOS tubes.

The "trick" to getting good performance from stock tubes is you have to do a little "homework" on the tubes you're considering on trying & maybe even try make some slight changes elsewhere in your playback system that might make some difference in how thing sound for the better.

My current tube set is supposedly designed to have many of the characteristics of the NOS Telefunkens Diamond tubes. I was a bit skeptical upon ordering them , but the price was right , so I gave them a try. They're from a company called JJ & for all intent & purposes they are pretty successful in doing what was claimed. The best part is they're only a fraction of what the Telefunkens would have run me !

I suppose "tube rolling" isn't a bad thing after all. Just be aware you may be able to save yourself a lot of money by not insisting that you need to go the "NOS" route to get good sound !

(& with all this, I'm not completely convinced that a Tube HP amp is my best match for the music I listen to & my playback system. I have my eye on a $1k SS I've been reading about lately; some of the comments I've read are "pushing the right buttons" for me)

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,577 of 10,196
so i got to try these today....omg wow. honestly, i was among the people that would never buy anything from a company that sells 1000$+ hdmi cables... but these nighthawks are legit. they sound warm and soothing like my 650s, but i can actually wear them! (the 650s are quite uncomfortable imo)  - also its cool how they are such low impedance, i guess thats the future of headphones!

and definitely feels quality, i got the hd650 back for 500$ back when it was always 500$, and i was disappointed with the cheapy plastic feel, and VERY disappointed with the comfort - nighthawks actually feel worth the money, though i'd like to see the price come down to 500$ :) but better than spending 1800$ on audeze i guess. I'll keep an eye and hopefully i can snag em on an amazon sale or something xD 

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #2,578 of 10,196
its nice to see audiophile headphones like the nighthawks, seems like most audiophiles out there are treble lovers, and im very much anti treble - so its nice to see cans made for people like me :D JOIN THE DARK SIDE!! 

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #2,579 of 10,196
i changed my avatar for these headphones - i really want to see these cans start a revolution and piss off every treble lover on the planet!!! tbh im not a fan of hawks cus they are predator birds and my best friend on this planet is literally a parakeet, and nighthawks eat smaller birds, but these headphones are <3  and its not like these headphones are going to kill my parakeet and he doesnt go outside and if anyone tried to hurt him i would obviously protect him so it would be cool i think

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,580 of 10,196

i really like the look of that amp, but its too expensive for me! im happy with my o2odac for now but looking at littledot 1+ in the future, but i want something that looks really awesome like that but doesnt cost a lot - what would you recommend? i saw the monoprice hybrid amp though i hear its not good at all!

ie: i want something like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back