AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,596 of 10,196
I'm torn on whether I should give these an extended trial. My HE-500 are faves and they do sparkle - and the mids are georgeous, but the Nighthawks really did sound more like speakers to me.

The speaker analogy is very apt, as in one's first experience with really good high end speakers. Given that my absolute favorite headphones are the NHs, I'd say YES, extend that trial, and include different amp sources and music options. That's how I came to realize how the NHs take on the DNA of a musical selection, becoming one with it. Okay, maybe that metaphor was a stretch
rolleyes.gif
, but I can tell you this: When I first played "Whole Lotta Love" from Led Zeppellin II (Deluxe edtion, hi-res), the power of it simply blew me away. Switch the selection to vintage Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto (DSD), and again... that feeling of being right there with Getz's sax. (Rig used: AK100/Chord Hugo.)

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,597 of 10,196
Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned that balanced cables with XLR plugs made for the Oppo PM-1 and ditto for the Sennheiser HD700 would fit the Nighthawks. Is this just supposition, or has anyone either of these cables? I want to try my AQs balanced via my Oppo HA-1.

I actually have Oppo PM-1 balanced cables and I use them on my Nighthawk regularly. They're great.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,598 of 10,196
I'm torn on whether I should give these an extended trial. My HE-500 are faves and they do sparkle - and the mids are georgeous, but the Nighthawks really did sound more like speakers to me.

I would add my recommendation that you extend your trail with the NightHawks as well. Most headphones are one trick ponies - that is, you'll either love them or hate them within a 5 to 10 minute listening period. The NightHawks simply BEG for a long, extended listen with multiple musical genres (and different amp/DAC combinations if you arrange it) to really get a feel for all that they offer. Take your time with them, then, if they still don't float your boat, no harm, no foul. BUT, if you are like many here, they will become your favorite headphones, simply because they make music sound like muisc, not hi-fi.....

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,602 of 10,196

Yup, only use Mojo to break in the Nighthawk, but not listen with it.

Can you describe how does Red sounds like with NH- transparent and laid back ? Trying to see if I can get rid of the clunky but excellent iDSD Micro :D

Bright seems to be a swear word round these parts but I'd say it does what the mojo does well with the Nighthawks, just a little brighter. I need to stress that it's brighter in a good way, not overly so or fatiguing. I'd say the mids are a little clearer/detailed with the red. What I did start to appreciate about the mojo is how well it handled stuff at the lower end; extended but controlled. Not a criticism but for my taste I found it just a touch overpowering. In comparison, the DF dials the lower end down a bit but adds a bit more punch.

The fact that the red is less than half the price of the Mojo, is more portable (if that's a concern), it's hard not to recommend. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #2,604 of 10,196
sound better than Mojo?

Given the form factor, the fact that performance is as good as it is & I like the way it pairs with Nigthawks, I prefer it. Just my opinion/preference for the overall package; I wouldn't say it was "better".

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,605 of 10,196

i really like the look of that amp, but its too expensive for me! im happy with my o2odac for now but looking at littledot 1+ in the future, but i want something that looks really awesome like that but doesnt cost a lot - what would you recommend? i saw the monoprice hybrid amp though i hear its not good at all!

ie: i want something like this:

Darien,

I am not sure if those are 300B tubes but the amp sure looks great.  

The Nighthawk scales well up as well as down.
I bought one of these in January:
http://goo.gl/fvVFtn
Since, I tried it with a number of 12AU7 or variant tubes in my collection.
I also bought a new Gold Lion, prototype of a beloved 1960s OS tube.
http://goo.gl/KNdmuf
So, for a little over $100 between the amp and the tube roll, I got something that got me 95%+ the sound of my bigger amps.
There is that dark background, fast transients, analog-sounding feel of tubes with good bass. Plus it looks great in the office.

Give this amp a try.  If you don't like it, Amazon takes it back and pays the shipping.
(not sure about the tube)

Paul

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,607 of 10,196
Hi guys - a little late to the party, but posted some impressions on these awesome cans in the Head Gear section. I'm still pretty new to the whole review/impression thing, so any feedback or comments (good or bad) is always very much appreciated (spoiler - I think they are pretty damn good!).

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-nighthawk-headphones/reviews/15837

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #2,609 of 10,196
  Hi guys - a little late to the party, but posted some impressions on these awesome cans in the Head Gear section. I'm still pretty new to the whole review/impression thing, so any feedback or comments (good or bad) is always very much appreciated (spoiler - I think they are pretty damn good!).

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-nighthawk-headphones/reviews/15837

That was a phenomenal writeup. I really want to point out something you alluded to in there: these aren't "bassy", they're "full-bodied". It's impossible to shake a "thin" feeling out of other headphones when compared to these.

And the thing is, headphones with "less" bass still can sound muddy compared to these, so it's not a bloat issue. The Hawks are just full. It's a speaker experience in headphones, or as close to one as you can get. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #2,610 of 10,196
Darien,

I am not sure if those are 300B tubes but the amp sure looks great.  

The Nighthawk scales well up as well as down.
I bought one of these in January:
http://goo.gl/fvVFtn
Since, I tried it with a number of 12AU7 or variant tubes in my collection.
I also bought a new Gold Lion, prototype of a beloved 1960s OS tube.
http://goo.gl/KNdmuf
So, for a little over $100 between the amp and the tube roll, I got something that got me 95%+ the sound of my bigger amps.
There is that dark background, fast transients, analog-sounding feel of tubes with good bass. Plus it looks great in the office.

Give this amp a try.  If you don't like it, Amazon takes it back and pays the shipping.
(not sure about the tube)

Paul

Thanks! That may be a great place for me to start into the land of tube-age!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back