AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,581 of 10,196
TBH for the hawks you don't need anything like that. Those giant amps are massive overkill. 

Remember what an amplifier does: amplifies the signal fed into it. That's all. That is the entirety of its job. It takes the signal out of the DAC and makes it more amplified in order to provide enough power to the headphones. Any sonic alteration it gives isn't due to its quality, it's due to its coloring. As long as the power coming out of it is clean (not distorted), you're getting zero benefits from spending $5000 versus $100. 

This is especially true with the NH since they're easy to drive to begin with. They don't need much extra juice so if you're putting those giant amplifiers on them it's like sticking a V8 engine on a bicycle. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,582 of 10,196
  TBH for the hawks you don't need anything like that. Those giant amps are massive overkill. 

Remember what an amplifier does: amplifies the signal fed into it. That's all. That is the entirety of its job. It takes the signal out of the DAC and makes it more amplified in order to provide enough power to the headphones. Any sonic alteration it gives isn't due to its quality, it's due to its coloring. As long as the power coming out of it is clean (not distorted), you're getting zero benefits from spending $5000 versus $100. 

This is especially true with the NH since they're easy to drive to begin with. They don't need much extra juice so if you're putting those giant amplifiers on them it's like sticking a V8 engine on a bicycle. 

yeah i know lol, i just wanted it for the looks

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #2,585 of 10,196
I'm torn on whether I should give these an extended trial. My HE-500 are faves and they do sparkle - and the mids are georgeous, but the Nighthawks really did sound more like speakers to me.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,586 of 10,196
The headband is the only one I've ever encountered that doesn't seem "dodgy" like the AKG and Philips that I've had.

And yes, give them a trial. 

Random thing I love about these, they're the only headphones I have that can fit my whole ears in them. Stretched lobes rarely work well with full-size cans. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,588 of 10,196
I'm torn on whether I should give these an extended trial. My HE-500 are faves and they do sparkle - and the mids are georgeous, but the Nighthawks really did sound more like speakers to me.

I gave them an extended trial two times. If you really love the sound of HE500 or HD600/HD650 I am quite sure you will be missing a lot with the Nighthawks. YMMV.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #2,589 of 10,196
  I gave them an extended trial two times. If you really love the sound of HE500 or HD600/HD650 I am quite sure you will be missing a lot with the Nighthawks. YMMV.

The Nighthawk only break in for me after using Mojo with it - it break in within 1 hr. Previously I used it for many weeks with iDSD Micro, there were only gradual changes - After break in- the vocals become much clearer.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #2,590 of 10,196
I picked up a Dragonfly Red today - very, very impressed!! Personally, I prefer it to the Mojo with my Nighthawks.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #2,592 of 10,196
Apr 23, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #2,593 of 10,196
Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned that balanced cables with XLR plugs made for the Oppo PM-1 and ditto for the Sennheiser HD700 would fit the Nighthawks. Is this just supposition, or has anyone either of these cables? I want to try my AQs balanced via my Oppo HA-1.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #2,594 of 10,196
  I picked up a Dragonfly Red today - very, very impressed!! Personally, I prefer it to the Mojo with my Nighthawks.

Yup, only use Mojo to break in the Nighthawk, but not listen with it.

Can you describe how does Red sounds like with NH- transparent and laid back ? Trying to see if I can get rid of the clunky but excellent iDSD Micro :D

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,595 of 10,196
  Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned that balanced cables with XLR plugs made for the Oppo PM-1 and ditto for the Sennheiser HD700 would fit the Nighthawks. Is this just supposition, or has anyone either of these cables? I want to try my AQs balanced via my Oppo HA-1.

I wouldn't have said it if I didn't know I works. In fact, I tried it myself before I got rid of the Nighthawk's. Nighthawk's with Oppo PM-1 Balanced Cable:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back