AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #721 of 10,196
I am continuing the ratings.
We are about 10 hours of break-in, but already these headphones demonstrate impressive dynamics. When you start bass and drums you jump on the chair.

Sweet but bad :wink:

And all this using the headphone output of the amp. When will the amp dedicated what will happen?

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #722 of 10,196
I was listening to a couple Ginger Baker albums last night through the NightHawks and the drums did indeed sound impressive. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #723 of 10,196
Listened to Johnny Cash’s American III to VI through the NightHawk last night. AWESOME! And somewhat frightening, too! 
blink.gif

OBTW, the legendary Jazz at the Pawnshop (30th anniversary) sounds really impressive through the NightHawk. 
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #724 of 10,196
I'm seriously thinking about Nightawks to be used on the go, however their cable is too long for this purpose. Can somebody affirm that it's not a proprietary cable? Are there shorter alternatives available in the market?

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #725 of 10,196
  I'm seriously thinking about Nightawks to be used on the go, however their cable is too long for this purpose. Can somebody affirm that it's not a proprietary cable? Are there shorter alternatives available in the market?

Though I haven't bought one yet, I've been told here that an Oppo cable will work just fine as it has the 3.5mm end at the source and the two 2.5mm plugs at the earcup ends. 

http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHC18

I've used the NightHawks around our house with my FiiO X5 II and they sound great together, I simply put the player in my pocket and allow the full-size cable drape over my shoulder...not exactly ideal, but no issues thus far. I do need to get a shorter cable and wish AQ would make one available for walking around with the NightHawks.

I'm still amazed how well these headphones stay in place while being so comfortable, I was cleaning up around the house last night, bending over to pick up after my 9-year-old and the NH's stayed perfectly in place, all while an HDtracks copy of "Van Morrison - Moondance" filled my ears with happiness.
biggrin.gif
 Good luck with your cable! 

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #726 of 10,196

Though I haven't bought one yet, I've been told here that an Oppo cable will work just fine as it has the 3.5mm end at the source and the two 2.5mm plugs at the earcup ends. 

http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHC18

I've used the NightHawks around our house with my FiiO X5 II and they sound great together, I simply put the player in my pocket and allow the full-size cable drape over my shoulder...not exactly ideal, but no issues thus far. I do need to get a shorter cable and wish AQ would make one available for walking around with the NightHawks.

I'm still amazed how well these headphones stay in place while being so comfortable, I was cleaning up around the house last night, bending over to pick up after my 9-year-old and the NH's stayed perfectly in place, all while an HDtracks copy of "Van Morrison - Moondance" filled my ears with happiness.
biggrin.gif
 Good luck with your cable! 

Thanks. The Oppo cable (1,8 m) is also a little bit too long but it's anyway better than 2,4 m! There should be another alternatives available as two-sided headphone cable is well known.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #727 of 10,196
I'd prefer something like a 1.2 meter for portable use so you still a bit of slack when moving around but not so much that you get it caught on something. I really like the quality and length of the primary cable AQ shipped with the NightHawks, it allows me to plug into my desktop amp and still work at my desk that's at a ninety-degree angle from the desktop that the gear sits on.

Some of my other can's like the B&W P7's only came with a short cable for portable use or you have to sit right in from of your headphone amp to use them, but they offer a 5-meter cable on their website so I ordered it. It would be great if headphone companies supplied a short cable for portable use and a longer one for home use, but even then it would be difficult to supply the right length for everyone's situation. DH Labs offers a very nice DIY cable (called Pro Studio) which works great for making your own headphone extension cable. I picked up a 15-foot length of Pro Studio and a set of male and female Switchcraft plugs and made a really nice extension cable just in case any of my headphone cable's come up short. Amazon offers a lot of cables for headphone use as well. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #728 of 10,196
To all owners of the NH's and those thinking about joining the club, I just received and plugged in my new balanced 4 pin XLR cable direct from AudioQuest.
I didn't think it was possible for these ear goggles to sound better...wrong!
I am using them with the extraordinary Light Harmonic Pulse X  DAC/Headphone Amp which is armed with two 32 bit ESS Sabre  9018AQ2M  modules, one for each channel; 2 of the super accurate Femto Clocks, one for each channel; 2 pairs of Naked Resistors from Texas Electronics and the best possible caps and a volume control section of the highest order. I have it set to the special FTM tuning to get the most out of the Femto clocks. This is not a retail version DAC, but a special unit tuned by Larry Ho. It would be comparable to DAC's selling in the order of 3K or thereabouts. This device has a balanced Neutik XLR 4 pin plugin where my Benchmark 1 USB does not.
The difference is apparent immediately even to these old ears aided by my excellent and expensive  Siemens Hearing Instruments. First off the highs are even more detailed and every nuance of the instrument playing is transmitted with the utmost clarity...and yes, to use the word which shows the disdain audiophiles hold for some sounds, musical, in spades. As an old retired English teacher, I hesitate to use metaphors in a casual way, but I will here...preternatural as in the most vivid, realistic dream. The same goes for the mids...clarity and more clarity and presence. The soundstage is a little wider and the sound floor deeper. The space around individual players is more focused...air! The bass is extended deeper another fathom or two. Movement and articulation down there is even more clear,  precisely focused and drums sound so real it is scary.
The cable is the same as the stock main cable and I got it at the same length i.e.  95 inches for those who still use inches or 2.5 meters. The 4 pin Neutrik plug is beautifully made and is silver-plated... a heavy unit for sure. Plugs in smoothly with  no effort.
I will stop lest 'someone' say once again that the NH's are over-rated (lol! remember) and that I must be brother to Skylar Gray, an impossibility since I am 80 plus and he is a young fellow in his prime; but I do feel  an avuncular pride in this brilliant young man! Super work Skylar!!
Wow, a violin just hit a note of the highest clarity in Robert Simpson's String Quartet Number 11, by the Coull String Quartet. My ears are smiling! Excellent stuff! To say I am happy, is to sorely understate my feelings, ecstatic, Yes!

Leo

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #729 of 10,196
I am watching and listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony by the Berlin Philharmonic, under Sir Simon Rattle! OMG! Such beauty, how can the world be so filled with such angst and hate. I am such a lucky guy to have all this at my fingertips. Sitting here with a cup of wonderful Red Tea direct from China, listening on the finest electronics from the USA, music of the highest order direct from Berlin...and all this in my man cave as I sit in my big Lazy Boy recliner. How can what is happening in Syria be synchronous with such beauty? Canada will be allowing at least 25,000 Syrian refugees in before Christmas...blessings on our new Prime Minister Trudeau!  Thank glory for our free elections!

Leo

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #731 of 10,196
Anyone tried to compare to Beyerdynamic DT1770Pro?

Only at Can Jam London, the Nighthawk was on a Schiit Asgard and the 1770 was on a Feliks Audio Expressivo. I bought the Nighthawk and the Expressivo because the 1770 didn't sound as good on my X3ii. It sounded very good on the Feliks though. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #734 of 10,196
Nov 3, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #735 of 10,196
  Thx SearchofSub for your helpful reply.

It does seem to me that a lot of the concern / criticism of the Nighthawks is centred on them sounding different with different being equated to lesser. i WANT my next headphones to sound different. Why would you buy a second set that sound like the ones you already own?

I used to own the Senn HD600s and liked them a lot but, after extended A-B testing, I switched to the HD700s and was rewarded with a different but in my opinion equally musical take on my music. Similarly, I tried some Ultrasones later vs the 700s and, whilst recognising a different sound signature, decided they were not for me. I like the HD700 sound a lot and I'm keeping my pair. If my new phones don't give me a different and musical take on my music I will resell them and move on.

Incidentally, I applied the same approach to my in-ear purchases and, after a string of buy and try tests (Westone, Shure, RHA and Brainwaves), I settled on a pair of FAD Heaven IVs that I enjoy to this day.

The headfi market seems very 'me-too' to me. In product and mindset. I'm not a kit expert but have a good ear. Given the choice, good/different will always outscore good/same with me. So, even though I haven't heard them yet. I feel favourably pre-disposed to champion products like the Nighthawks. (And if I'm wrong, I learn something and move on.)

If Audioquest's NHs don't work for me, I suspect the next test will be something like the Audeze EL-8. These appear to be good/different too!

;<)
albaman

Congratulations. After 39 posts you have completely nailed Head-Fi. I nominate you for immediate skip-level promotion to Headphoneus Supremus.

I love my HD-700s and I love my new NightHawks and I could care less what reviewers think of either set of 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back