AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #751 of 10,196
  Fair enough. On the flip side, I get uncomfortable and suspicious when I see people who constantly feel the need to rain on people's parade. 
wink.gif

What references do you have for saying that I constantly feel the need to rain on other people's parade? (if that is what you are trying to say
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #752 of 10,196
In my life I've had (too) many headphones (see profile), including some „end-game“ thingys for a multiple of the NightHawk's.
When it comes to clearness and purity of bass and mids the NightHawk is one of the very best headphones I ever listened to.
In some areas I see the NightHawk on a level with planar-magnetics, without their weight and strange spaciousness at times.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #753 of 10,196

What references do you have for saying that I constantly feel the need to rain on other people's parade? (if that is what you are trying to say
confused_face(1).gif

No, more of a general statement but I'll admit was influenced by the tone of the post I quoted and a few previous to that. I do realize that's generally not been your tone though, I'm at work so not taking the time to post that I should have, I should have been more explicit about that, my apologies.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #755 of 10,196
  You just have to to add "IMHO" to this kind of statements 
wink.gif

Why? He's already stated that everyone will have their own opinion. AFTER that he stated his, which he is perfectly entitled to. I see no problem with what (and how) he phrased it.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #756 of 10,196
I hope Tyll takes the time to do a full review of the NightHawks even though his opinion/preferences often differ from mine. He does an awful lot to promote headphones and associated gear and I appreciate all of his efforts. Reviews can be fun and informative to read but just like any other review (such as movie reviews) it's more helpful if you find a reviewer that tends to enjoy the same things that you do. I don't believe there is "one best" headphone, speaker, amp or DAC for everyone...you simply need to find what makes "you" happy and allows you to forget about the gear and just enjoy your music. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #757 of 10,196
The bass is incredible, really enjoying it. Tylls graphs show how extended it is. Imagine how the nighthawk would sound if he was linear through to the treble!

But it IS, as such. Look at the RAW data, before been compensated weirdly. Measured extremely linear by comparison.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #758 of 10,196
The NH is a great hp and I like to read people's comments here. I get uncomfortable and suspicious though, when someone writes "best headphone ever" statements on any thread I follow, not only this one.

Isn't everything here "in our opinion"? I simply imagine "imo" inserted to the end of every sentence written on head-fi. Problem solved (imo).

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #760 of 10,196
My NHs have been used a lot straight out of my Fiio. What I really like about them is their low power requirements they literally don't need anything more than a decent DAP or entry level amp.

Out of my tubes, they sound improved in the vocals. Still not to the HD650's level but I've accepted the fact that where the NH leaves off the HD650 picks up and VV.

HD650 wins in mids, treble refinement and soundstage where the NH wins in bass, treble extension.

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #761 of 10,196
My NHs have been used a lot straight out of my Fiio. What I really like about them is their low power requirements they literally don't need anything more than a decent DAP or entry level amp.

Out of my tubes, they sound improved in the vocals. Still not to the HD650's level but I've accepted the fact that where the NH leaves off the HD650 picks up and VV.

HD650 wins in mids, treble refinement and soundstage where the NH wins in bass, treble extension.

I might agree with that (I am still letting my brain acclimate before I go back to my HD-650s), but may I ask: what amp and tubes are you using with the NHs?

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #763 of 10,196
I have both hd650 with silver drivers (latest revised version)and NH in my hands right now and imo NH is alot more details in bass and more refined overall. HD650 has a little more treble emphasis but it also lacks details and extension to NH. I rate HD650 level 1 compared to NH level 2. NH sounds alot more hifi.

NH has this thing where nothing gets annoying and everything just flows together well. I just end up enjoying the music as a whole piece, not paying attention to one "part" of emphasis the headphone makers tend to concentrate on these days to make it stand out. NH does everything well. Usually when I feel this way about a audio gear, whether it'd be amps, dac, speakers etc, it's usually a "stop" upgrade time and just time to enjoy simply because its not lacking in any department, why would you want to upgrade? It does everything well but with the added refinement that takes it higher than mid level and to hifi.
so far I got this kind of feeling from Chord Hugo as a DAC, Evolution Acoustics MicroOnes as speakers and still searching for speaker amp although Goldmund Job225 came the closest for price to performance ratio.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #764 of 10,196
I went back and looked through you're previous posts in this thread. You auditioned the NightHawks well over a month ago and said they weren't for you, there was some discussion about you're thoughts after but from what I read the general consensus of the others participating in the thread was "that's cool, we all hear differently" or "you're entitled to your opinion". I've tried plenty of headphones that weren't for me and if I felt the need to post those thoughts I typically didn't bother to hang about the thread much after so I'm curious, why do you continue to read and post things like this in a thread of a headphone that you say isn't for you? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stop you posting or tell you it's wrong, I'm just trying to understand your motivation.

For me it dosent bother me to when people say otherwise about how good the NH is. I've experienced different headphones from Senn's, Audeze, Hifiman, Grado - basically most of the headphones that are popular in "hifi" crowd and I would still choose NH over all of them. It's just that sometimes some negative posts might steer some people away from the purchase and that'll be a damn shame considering how good NH is. It almost did to me until I heard it at a local headphone shop, and it was purchased next day. :D

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #765 of 10,196
For me it dosent bother me to when people say otherwise about how good the NH is. I've experienced different headphones from Senn's, Audeze, Hifiman, Grado - basically most of the headphones that are popular in "hifi" crowd and I would still choose NH over all of them. It's just that sometimes some negative posts might steer some people away from the purchase and that'll be a damn shame considering how good NH is. It almost did to me until I heard it at a local headphone shop, and it was purchased next day.

Since everyone discusses HP in a subjective manner I've been eagerly awaiting my own audition of the Nighthawks. I finally found time to visit my local HP shop. 

I do not want to appear a negative reviewer but with my findings I found the blooming bass to interfere with jazz vocals. Just listening to Norah Jones "Feelin' the same way" the clarity of her voice just sounded veiled and lack of clarity. I continued to listen to other genres and I still did not hear the clarity or sweet mids I thought I would hear with these headphones.

Please note I was listening to .flac files driving the NH with a Woo Audio WA6.  Just before the NH headphone audition I was testing the HD800/WA6 combo and Hifiman 400S/WA6 combo.  The mids were much more meaty with clarity using the 400S in comparison. I was taken back how drastic the SQ was going from the 400S and NH.

Immediately after I auditioned the NH I plugged in the  Denon AH-MM400 to the WA6. The Denon seamed dark and the bass would satisfy most "bass heads" but what the excellent bass response did not over power the vocals. This is where I wonder if the NH is a poor match to the WA6. The NH made the vocals extremely muddy. The Denon portable headphones was a different league to the NH while it's price point is less. I did not think a portable could sound that good. 

Is there something I'm missing??? I really thought the NH would meet my expectations.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back