AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 23, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #691 of 10,196
Just want some peoples opinions.

I currently have the Dragonfly 1.2.

Shall I buy the Chord Mojo or purchase the Project Polaris?

I have the Dragonfly 1.2 right now and plan to get the Mojo sometime next month. I know the Mojo was tuned using the Nighthawks while in development and is the recommended pairing from Rob Watts.(designer of Mojo) I'd say it will be a good match.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #692 of 10,196
I imagine that the NightHawks will sound great with the Chord, didn't know they were used for voicing of that device, but that has to be a plus. Frankly, lately when I can find the time I've gotten comfortable in a big ole' chair in my den and have used the FiiO X5 II & E12A to drive the NH's and even that combo sounds great. I hoping that AudioQuest makes a shorter cable for portable use available even if it's just for around the house. I could order the Oppo cable which I think is about 1.2 meters, but I'm waiting to see if AQ comes out with one soon.

Good luck with your pairing, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #695 of 10,196
My wife got some sort hair gel on mine and I used a warm (damp) washcloth and wiped them gently and they look good as new. B&W had told me to use a soft damp washcloth on the lambskin pads of the P7's and it worked great in that application as well. Good luck! 

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #701 of 10,196
ATTENTION AUDIOQUEST-IONERS
I'm curious. I have just scanned the 47 pages of this discussion thread and I haven't encountered such a passionately disparate set of opinions since I moved to Australia and experienced vegemite on toast for my first corporate breakfast. And I have survived watching Celtic vs Rangers live in Glasgow.

But I'm nervous. I want to ask a question but fear the consequences of my action; not the least of which is likely to be the extension of the thread to 48 pages...so I am prepared for continued critical cabaret

I am broadly kit happy. I am considering buying a second set of on/over ear headphones to complement my Sennheiser HD700s in a desktop system that comprises high res files on a Mac Mini sent via Amarra to a Yulong DA8 dac and A28 amp plugged with half decent cables. balanced but either balanced or unbalanced at headphone output.

I'm inexplicably satisfied. I like the HD700s for their energetic but musical output. I trade off some treble 'glitter' for loads of accurate detail and an otherwise balanced sound.

I'm certain. I do NOT want to replicate or exaggerate my HD700s experience so I have ruled out eg the Sennheiser HD800 BUTs - 'BUT's because whenever they are mentioned the commentary begins with "great headphones, BUT..." These phones have more BUT factor than that Kardashian woman.

I'm considering... So I have been looking at Phillips' Fidelio X2 and Audioquest's Nighthawks and maybe even the Sony MDR Z7s and my entirely unqualified / untested ranking currently looks like 1) NH 2) X2 3) Z7. ( I live in a remote area so pre-testing is out.) I am NOT considering Hifiman, Beyer or Ultrasone as my previous experience with these brands' products did not constitute long term relationship potential

I'm hungry for... Informed, insightful or experienced based feedback on sound qualities - in isolation and in combination with the above-mentioned system -  would be most welcome. Humour, as always, would be a bonus.

I'm ALBAMAN. Be gentle.
;<)

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #702 of 10,196
  ATTENTION AUDIOQUEST-IONERS
I'm curious. I have just scanned the 47 pages of this discussion thread and I haven't encountered such a passionately disparate set of opinions since I moved to Australia and experienced vegemite on toast for my first corporate breakfast. And I have survived watching Celtic vs Rangers live in Glasgow.

But I'm nervous. I want to ask a question but fear the consequences of my action; not the least of which is likely to be the extension of the thread to 48 pages...so I am prepared for continued critical cabaret

I am broadly kit happy. I am considering buying a second set of on/over ear headphones to complement my Sennheiser HD700s in a desktop system that comprises high res files on a Mac Mini sent via Amarra to a Yulong DA8 dac and A28 amp plugged with half decent cables. balanced but either balanced or unbalanced at headphone output.

I'm inexplicably satisfied. I like the HD700s for their energetic but musical output. I trade off some treble 'glitter' for loads of accurate detail and an otherwise balanced sound.

I'm certain. I do NOT want to replicate or exaggerate my HD700s experience so I have ruled out eg the Sennheiser HD800 BUTs - 'BUT's because whenever they are mentioned the commentary begins with "great headphones, BUT..." These phones have more BUT factor than that Kardashian woman.

I'm considering... So I have been looking at Phillips' Fidelio X2 and Audioquest's Nighthawks and maybe even the Sony MDR Z7s and my entirely unqualified / untested ranking currently looks like 1) NH 2) X2 3) Z7. ( I live in a remote area so pre-testing is out.) I am NOT considering Hifiman, Beyer or Ultrasone as my previous experience with these brands' products did not constitute long term relationship potential

I'm hungry for... Informed, insightful or experienced based feedback on sound qualities - in isolation and in combination with the above-mentioned system -  would be most welcome. Humour, as always, would be a bonus.

I'm ALBAMAN. Be gentle.
;<)

Well, I tried the Nighthawks for 10 days before returning them. They are very interesting and slightly unusual sounding headphones, and extremely pleasant to listen to, with not the slightest sign of hardness or aggressiveness to the sound. However, I felt something was missing in their reproduction of violins and cellos(I listen mostly to classical music). As a Sennheiser HD800 user, I usually prefer more analytical sounding headphones. I find Audeze's LCD3 and Oppo's PM1 too dark and closed in sounding. The Audioquest were actually the first "darkish", "warmish" cans that I actually enjoyed.  Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy them enough to justify the cost, so I bought the excellent Nad Viso HP50s which I find are a fine slightly warm alternative to my HD800s and half the price of the Nighthawks. PS I can't think of anything humorous to say just now:)

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #704 of 10,196
[COLOR=FF0000]ATTENTION AUDIOQUEST-IONERS[/COLOR]

I'm ALBAMAN. Be gentle.
;<)

I've owned all the phones mentioned in your post and actually really like the hd700 myself, might actually pick another pair up because I think they are perfect compliments to the nighthawk. I would scratch the fidelio x2 off your list, doesn't sound very good imo and as much as I wanted to like it when I owned it, the resolution was sub par. The Z7 is a great headphone, beautifully crafted but the sound is a but lacking compared to the nighthawk. It isn't as refined, it doesn't have nearly as much impact, and I didn't find its soundstage to be quite as big. The nighthawk sounds like the perfect compliment to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back