AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #676 of 10,196
Equipment pairing can have big impact on a headphones sound but I don't believe it can change it to the degree that a bad sounding headphone (in my ears) would, in some kind of magical way, sound more pleasing. The sound signature is the first thing you hear after all.

I disagree. Synergy can make magic happen...

One of my alltime favorite pairings is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 with the SPL Auditor. Most people described the AD700 as bass anemic. Paired with the SPL, it outclasses much, much more expensive cans.

... Some of my Beyers paired with the same SPL, sounded HORRIBLE! To the point where they sound stuffy, squishy, and wonky.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #678 of 10,196
I disagree. Synergy can make magic happen...

One of my alltime favorite pairings is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 with the SPL Auditor. Most people described the AD700 as bass anemic. Paired with the SPL, it outclasses much, much more expensive cans.

... Some of my Beyers paired with the same SPL, sounded HORRIBLE! To the point where they sound stuffy, squishy, and wonky.

The AD700 has literally Zero bass below the mid bass. Nothing can help that.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #680 of 10,196
Well, from Tubes vs Solid State perspective, I think changing gear can change characteristics of sound. I don't hear many people saying my speakers or headphones sound harsh with a tube setup.

And you never will

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #683 of 10,196
Maybe misinformed. The graphs also back this. Graphs don't lie when it comes to extension.

You are correct mate...the electronics put upon the screen what they have measured very accurately. However what they don't show is the possible effect of various sources, of which there are thousands, nor can they in any way anticipate the effect of the brain/ear/mind of the listener to those particular ear or head phones.
If he hears an excellent bass from his HD700's, then that is what he hears and enjoys. To say that nothing can make them project a fine bass is to ignore all other factors but the graph. If that was all there was to it, then we would have nothing to discuss and debate would we. There are many excellent listening instruments and each can be good to listen to for a huge variety of folks. Each of us is an individual and so although we have many things in common, I suggest to you IMHO that the ability to hear and translate sound into music and speech is one of the most complex and individual. Would you agree my friend?

Cheers mate 
gs1000.gif

Leo

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #686 of 10,196
  Purchased last week:

- no roll off in the high
- no V-shaped pattern
- no U-shaped pattern
- nothing muddy medium

Only much, much, much musicality.

(translated with google, blame him)

I too love these very musical and accurate headphones.  They are so good that I see no reason to look any further  for the ideal headphone. This is it for me!

Cheers
Leo

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #688 of 10,196
  Purchased last week:

- no roll off in the high
- no V-shaped pattern
- no U-shaped pattern
- nothing muddy medium

Only much, much, much musicality.

(translated with google, blame him)

Good translation. No roll off in the high is kind of treble still sufficient for your music?

A friend still recommend HD600 instead of NightHawk to me, the reason is you guys have mentioned being musicality, and this including nuance sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back