AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #1,231 of 10,196

I obviously don't know the eventual reason but it wasn't difficult to see it coming.

Yeah, he was bit aggressive in his support of HD650's, hehe, still sorry to see him go.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,233 of 10,196
So, you think it is a reason enough to be banned from a forum? Because someone supports "aggressively" a headphone? I don't think he was more aggressive than some other people here. 

I don't think it has to do with the position, so much as how many times this thread has been derailed. Headfi tries to keep threads on topic in order to help new-comers and non-posters who may stumble on the topic from getting sidetracked.

Additionally, Headfi is one of the more polite forums that I've come accross. Moderators try to keep it as inviting as possible to attract new members.

One thing I've learned here over the years is this hobby is extremely subjective. Not only what we hear, but how we interpret that is very individual. It's easy to forget that everyone has different tastes in music, budgets, and even listen at different volume levels.

There are factors outside of hard facts that come into play in this hobby. Emotion being one of them. Once attached to our new favorite, it's hard not to want to share it with everyone. That's what makes this community fun. But lets try to keep it inclusive and not exclusive.

----------------------------

Alright, lets get this thread back on topic.... Anyone have more information about the closed version mentioned a few pages back?!

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,234 of 10,196

Yeah, he was bit aggressive in his support of HD650's, hehe, still sorry to see him go.

So, you think it is a reason enough to be banned from a forum? Because someone supports "aggressively" a headphone? I don't think he was more aggressive than some other people here. 

Well it wasn't just this thread, he jumped in the Ether C thread and called Ether C a waste of money and that HD650 was better...........just to clarify how well that went down, all of his posts got deleted.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,235 of 10,196
Well it wasn't just this thread, he jumped in the Ether C thread and called Ether C a waste of money and that HD650 was better...........just to clarify how well that went down, all of his posts got deleted.

He did it in the Chord Mojo thread as well. Went on and basically "asked" why the Mojo didn't have a more powerful amp, he didn't think it was capable of driving the HD650's then said he thought it was basically for IEM's.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,237 of 10,196
Does anyone have any amp recommendations for the NH?  From what I've read they seem to be pretty sensitive with the pairing.  Would a cooler sounding amp balance out the darkness, should I embrace it and buy a dark amp, or is it best to just find a balanced amp?

Also, is an external DAC needed if using a macbook pro retina?  I read that the internal DAC is pretty solid, however I do notice some slight hiss with a few IEMs I have.  

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,238 of 10,196
  Does anyone have any amp recommendations for the NH?  From what I've read they seem to be pretty sensitive with the pairing.  Would a cooler sounding amp balance out the darkness, should I embrace it and buy a dark amp, or is it best to just find a balanced amp?

Also, is an external DAC needed if using a macbook pro retina?  I read that the internal DAC is pretty solid, however I do notice some slight hiss with a few IEMs I have.  

Amps come largely down to preference and what you want out of them. I personally think they sound the best with tubes(though it's best to get NOS(new old stock) tubes), ones that are slightly dark even(which oddly the Nighthawks sound clearer to me on than SS amps but any decent tube sounds clearer to me than SS in general, I have a tube bias though). I like how silky and buttery smooth the Nighthawks become on tubes. If you go tubes just have to make sure the tube/hybrid amp you get is meant for lower ohm headphones such as the Project Ember, Project Sunrise III, Lyr 2, etc. Otherwise I would suggest a clean sounding SS amp with low output impedance that doesn't emphasize treble, any of the Lake People/Violectric amps are a good choice. The O2/ODAC or JDS Element should also work quite well and most Schiit amps should work quite well. Depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want out of the Nighthawks.

A better DAC would always help, I would suggest a DAC that doesn't recess the midrange and has smooth treble for the Nighthawks(the Nighthawks pick up on treble problems of the system very well despite their relative darkness to most headphones). 

From what I gather the Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 should be a good starting point for both an amp and dac with them without spending much, haven't heard the Dragonfly but I have heard good things in regards to it's pairing with the Nighthawks.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,239 of 10,196
I've found the Nighthawks very revealing of the source (DAC and amp), but not picky so any amp with low output impedance (<4ohms) will be fine assuming you like it's characteristics.

What's your budget RyanRoloYo?

Regarding DACs, I agree with kman1211 that an external DAC would help. There are plenty of good options available.

How compact do you want it and what's your budget again?

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,240 of 10,196

I would warmly recommend a solid-state amp for the NightHawk. Most tube amps color the sound too much and have too high output impedance for the NightHawk (even some solid-state amps fail here). I listen to the NightHawk on a cute Schiit gear, a Magni 2 Uber and a Modi 2 Uber, and I am perfectly happy with this combo. Next week I'll test a DragonFly 1.2, out of sheer curiosity.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,241 of 10,196
I would warmly recommend a solid-state amp for the NightHawk. Most tube amps color the sound too much and have too high output impedance for the NightHawk (even some solid-state amps fail here). I listen to the NightHawk on a cute Schiit gear, a Magni 2 Uber and a Modi 2 Uber, and I am perfectly happy with this combo. Next week I'll test a DragonFly 1.2, out of sheer curiosity.

+1 ... I tried a number of solid-state amps and chose the Lehmann Rhinelander. Great synergy with the NightHawks (and with my Grado RS2i).

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,242 of 10,196
In the latest issue of Tone Audio there is an Audioquest ad that mentions the Night Owl, a closed back headphone. I couldn't find any additional info on this. I wonder if this is a closed back Nighthawk or something entirely different?

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,243 of 10,196
I saw a Night Owl ad, too.  Not sure where and can only assume it's closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back