AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,216 of 10,196
  The Nighthawk has been doing a lot better on different tubes but I'm really liking the CV491 12AU7. 

So I shared my opinion on the Ether thread and got bashed for it haha. It's amazing, you share an opinion about a headphone and on here they act like you've killed their mother.

I think I prefer the NH over the Ether also.

No one minds different opinions and constructive criticism.

But, one does not have to be a jerk in doing so.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,217 of 10,196

No one minds different opinions and constructive criticism.

But, one does not have to be a jerk in doing so.

Well, he's gone now, so we can move on.

What's interesting is that here and in other threads, he gushes on about the HD-650; yet, I haven't seen him in the 650 thread.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,220 of 10,196
So..........I was ready to spring for the Nighthawk when the HE400i went on sale for an outstanding price. I'll have to wait to pick up a pair in a few weeks. I expect they will not sound like anything I currently own. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,221 of 10,196
The HD650 doesn't really have any audible distortion. The problem is the dragonfly DAC and amp. Even if you have a good amp, it will just amplify what your DAC is putting out. The Dragonfly also doesn't have a line out.

You do realise that the HD650 has 8% THD at 20Hz that gradually reduces, but is still at 1% around 100Hz? That distortion is part of their signature whether we like it or not and due to harmonics, etc. will influence the entire frequency range, not just bass.

I owned the HD650s for quite some time and have not once regretted selling them. Yes, they are a great headphone, but to use them as this ongoing reference point is misleading. They are a great headphone just like the many other great headphones available and you personally like them (which is fine), but it's personal taste, not a singular truth that should apply to everyone.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,222 of 10,196
Can you guys take your HD650 discussion to the HD650 thread??? PLEEEEEEEZ

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,224 of 10,196

You do realise that the HD650 has 8% THD at 20Hz that gradually reduces, but is still at 1% around 100Hz? That distortion is part of their signature whether we like it or not and due to harmonics, etc. will influence the entire frequency range, not just bass.

I owned the HD650s for quite some time and have not once regretted selling them. Yes, they are a great headphone, but to use them as this ongoing reference point is misleading. They are a great headphone just like the many other great headphones available and you personally like them (which is fine), but it's personal taste, not a singular truth that should apply to everyone.

Hachiko cannot answer. He has been banned.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,225 of 10,196
  So..........I was ready to spring for the Nighthawk when the HE400i went on sale for an outstanding price. I'll have to wait to pick up a pair in a few weeks. I expect they will not sound like anything I currently own. 

I wanted to spring for the TH-X00 drop, but I had just bought the Nighthawk a day or so before. Should arrive Friday. With all the discussion, I'm even more interested in how it sounds.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,226 of 10,196

Same thing happened to me.  I accepted the 'upgrade.'  I'm going to try them out for a little bit, and if I don't like them, then I'm just gonna sell them and make a little profit.  

What? Where?! ... HOW?

I bought HE 400i's on newegg through a third party seller.  I guess there was an error with inventory and they ran out of stock, so they offered me the Nighthawks.  I'm pretty happy to say the least :)

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,228 of 10,196

Ah, no wonder. I did keep hearing distortion on HD650 no matter what track I played..

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,230 of 10,196

Hachiko cannot answer. He has been banned.

I obviously don't know the eventual reason but it wasn't difficult to see it coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back