AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #8,956 of 10,196
I previously had the hm5 hybrids on. I didn't find them sibilant, but what you're saying about the PT1 pads intrigues me nonetheless. I'm not sure where I'd find them though!

The hm5 pads are highly recommended to all NH owner I think. They give the NH a very different and more brighter signature which I also like. I had to tame the highs a little with 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper, thats my taste just.
The iBasso PT1 pads can be ordered via Ibasso HP http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=7855#page1 they are priced attractive with just 25 usd and better made than dekonis I recently had. Soundwise its a perfect and imho even better alternative to the stock AQ hybrid pads.

And... they are so easy to install. You do not have to make holes in backside of the pads. The edge on the back of the pads is so small that the ring fits inside without beeing blocked by the 4 prongs of the ring.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #8,957 of 10,196
By the way-- Break-in? Oh I believe it. Why? Primarily because of personal experience: My first NH was well broken-in by the retailer (so they said-- no reason to not believe them). Loved them so much I got another pair a year later (also because of the discontinuation announcement)-- this pair was still un-opened in the box. Same wood cup, same cable, same pads-- same NH. But the sound was significantly different: the broken-in pair was considerably more transparent, punchy/dynamic, and even a little smoother on top. If I'm ever at a meet I'd be glad to bring the two pairs and show people. Of course, though, your experience may vary.

I'd also be inclined to take burn-in seriously if other audio professionals do-- like say Skylar Gray-- the creator of the headphone in question.

On another controversial note perhaps, my new carbons sounded different from my wood cups. But again, since they are claimed by AQ to be sonically the same, I'll attribute the sound difference to-- burn-in.
Are you using the same pads ine as carbons come with protein, not hybrid pads

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #8,958 of 10,196
I was curious about HM5 pads. I use the Velor ones that came with it, they seem to brighten things up a bit over the leather ones. I would be curious too the exact Hm5 pads that are being used with success.

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #8,959 of 10,196
The hm5 pads are highly recommended to all NH owner I think. They give the NH a very different and more brighter signature which I also like.

That is great if that is what you want, but don't recommend them to ALL NH owners. I would not want mine to have a brighter signature. I bought them because they were said to have a bit darker signature. I have the original wood ones with the original hybrid pads.

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #8,960 of 10,196
Brainwavz hm5 hybrid

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #8,961 of 10,196
That is great if that is what you want, but don't recommend them to ALL NH owners. I would not want mine to have a brighter signature. I bought them because they were said to have a bit darker signature. I have the original wood ones with the original hybrid pads.

Thank you! ..just for all I wrote but I meant only those who want a brighter signature sometimes for contrast or fun as it makes the sig. really different Unbelievable that the hawk is able to that too :wink:
these pads are exacty named Brainwavz HM5 hybrid

stock hybrid pads of the wood version is still the darkest option
with stock alcantara pads of the carbon version the NH is a tiny bit less dark .. still typically nighthawk sound imho.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #8,962 of 10,196

Agreed. Why mess with perfection?

Jul 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #8,963 of 10,196
Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon.png

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #8,964 of 10,196
Jul 1, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #8,965 of 10,196
Thank you! ..just for all I wrote but I meant only those who want a brighter signature sometimes for contrast or fun as it makes the sig. really different Unbelievable that the hawk is able to that too :wink:
these pads are exacty named Brainwavz HM5 hybrid

stock hybrid pads of the wood version is still the darkest option
with stock alcantara pads of the carbon version the NH is a tiny bit less dark .. still typically nighthawk sound imho.
Hi, do you know if any of the brainwavz pads that fit the HM5 also fit the hawks? Amazon UK presents with me with quite a list when searched for the name you gave (e.g. Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpad - Black PU/Velour - Suitable For Large Over The Ear Headphones). Don't need now, but useful to know for future. thanks.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #8,966 of 10,196
The hm5 pads are highly recommended to all NH owner I think. They give the NH a very different and more brighter signature which I also like. I had to tame the highs a little with 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper, thats my taste just.
The iBasso PT1 pads can be ordered via Ibasso HP http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=7855#page1 they are priced attractive with just 25 usd and better made than dekonis I recently had. Soundwise its a perfect and imho even better alternative to the stock AQ hybrid pads.

And... they are so easy to install. You do not have to make holes in backside of the pads. The edge on the back of the pads is so small that the ring fits inside without beeing blocked by the 4 prongs of the ring.
Anyone happen to know if those iBasso pads are sold in the UK? Their UK distributor Advanced MP3 Players have none listed. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #8,967 of 10,196
Anyone happen to know if those iBasso pads are sold in the UK? Their UK distributor Advanced MP3 Players have none listed. Thanks.
..you only can order direct via Ibasso HP

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #8,968 of 10,196
Jul 2, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #8,969 of 10,196
Jul 2, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #8,970 of 10,196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back