AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 24, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #8,941 of 10,196
FYI - the Dutch shop selling the Hybird pads ran out of them last month. Now they ran out of the Protein pads too. This is slowly winding down now. I am sure the Protein pads can still be bought from Audioquest directly, but I think it will soon be over. I hope my 5 backup pairs (mix of hybrid and protein) will last me as long as the headphones will. :)
My pads are in good nick, but I have no spares. Should I be worried - what life span do folk get out of them?

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #8,942 of 10,196
My pads are in good nick, but I have no spares. Should I be worried - what life span do folk get out of them?

I think by the time we have to worry about it, someone witl be making some. No point in worrying.

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #8,943 of 10,196

No idea, but I try to clean them frequently to prolong their life. Even though I really like the stock pads, if ultimately they fall apart some day, I'll slap on some other pads and will survive (I had hm5 hybrids on the Hawks for a while that I quite liked).

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #8,944 of 10,196
A shame that audioquest leaves all custumers standing in the rain after terminating their headphone project.
It would have cost them only some lousy cents to keep a contigent of spare parts on stock and hey, this even would have generated some business for them...
And after proclaiming the hawk as there was been taking care regarding sustainability its questionable now to complicate repairs and service parts.

I like these phones but I dont like this ingnorant performance. Come on Audioquest, whats Up?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #8,945 of 10,196
A big shame it is that audioquest leaves all custumers standing in the rain after terminating their headphone project.
It would have cost them only some lousy cents to keep a contigent of exchange pads etc. on stock and hey, even would bring some business to sell them.

I like these phones but I dont like this ingnorant performance. Come on Audioquest, whats Up?
I see why many would be pissed off but at the same time it was obvious they weren’t here for the long when impressions came back. If they would’ve had a more humble approach and didn’t try market them as neutral or natural which they’re not I think they would’ve done better. I always felt the NH should’ve been an open design but we’ll never get to know.

What they did do though was make IMO tue best designed headphone in terms of looks and comfort.

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #8,947 of 10,196
Most comfortable, and most speaker like sound I've heard from headphones.

My impression as well. Though I wonder what causes the "speaker like" nature many (including Rob Watts of Chord fame) talk about. Maybe the warmth in the midrange?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #8,948 of 10,196
What they did do though was make IMO tue best designed headphone in terms of looks and comfort.

Same impression than me.

I had a sensational experience these days mounting iBasso PT1 pads on the nighthawk. I like the NH now even more so. A bit less darker, upperbass a step reduced, subbass is more present...3-D soundstage improved too, a little more energy in midrange and surprisingly not sibiliant (not at all as compared with brainwavz hm5 hybrid).
What a lucky hit! :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #8,949 of 10,196
Jun 30, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #8,950 of 10,196
By the way-- Break-in? Oh I believe it. Why? Primarily because of personal experience: My first NH was well broken-in by the retailer (so they said-- no reason to not believe them). Loved them so much I got another pair a year later (also because of the discontinuation announcement)-- this pair was still un-opened in the box. Same wood cup, same cable, same pads-- same NH. But the sound was significantly different: the broken-in pair was considerably more transparent, punchy/dynamic, and even a little smoother on top. If I'm ever at a meet I'd be glad to bring the two pairs and show people. Of course, though, your experience may vary.

I'd also be inclined to take burn-in seriously if other audio professionals do-- like say Skylar Gray-- the creator of the headphone in question.

On another controversial note perhaps, my new carbons sounded different from my wood cups. But again, since they are claimed by AQ to be sonically the same, I'll attribute the sound difference to-- burn-in.

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #8,951 of 10,196
Same impression than me.

I had a sensational experience these days mounting iBasso PT1 pads on the nighthawk. I like the NH now even more so. A bit less darker, upperbass a step reduced, subbass is more present...3-D soundstage improved too, a little more energy in midrange and surprisingly not sibiliant (not at all as compared with brainwavz hm5 hybrid).
What a lucky hit! :)

I previously had the hm5 hybrids on. I didn't find them sibilant, but what you're saying about the PT1 pads intrigues me nonetheless. I'm not sure where I'd find them though!

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #8,952 of 10,196
I’m truly dumbfounded by these hawks, I find when I’m listening to one of my “ expensive cans, I’m looking longingly across the room at the hawks. For pure music enjoyment, I haven’t heard any headphone that I prefer at any price. That’s unfortunate because I do love my other cans a lot! But I only have two ears and time is precious not to enjoy music.

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #8,953 of 10,196
I’m truly dumbfounded by these hawks, I find when I’m listening to one of my “ expensive cans, I’m looking longingly across the room at the hawks. For pure music enjoyment, I haven’t heard any headphone that I prefer at any price. That’s unfortunate because I do love my other cans a lot! But I only have two ears and time is precious not to enjoy music.

The Hawks are an unusual headphone, they take time away from my other headphones too other than my DT 480(which is even more unique than and imho better than the Hawks as it takes the effortlessness, solidity, and lack of distortion to the next level), but the Hawks are more comfortable and they aren't as heavy or near as seal dependent as my DT 480s so the Hawks do get more overall use. Other than it, I'll rather listen to the Hawks than all my other headphones, I don't really use my Amiron Homes anymore due to the Hawks.

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #8,954 of 10,196
The Hawks are an unusual headphone, they take time away from my other headphones too other than my DT 480(which is even more unique than and imho better than the Hawks as it takes the effortlessness, solidity, and lack of distortion to the next level), but the Hawks are more comfortable and they aren't as heavy or near as seal dependent as my DT 480s so the Hawks do get more overall use. Other than it, I'll rather listen to the Hawks than all my other headphones, I don't really use my Amiron Homes anymore due to the Hawks.

That’s good information for me because I’ve always been interested in the Amiron Homes. I do still love my 800’s and Hekv2 and my 7200 for isolation, they all are great but there’s just something about these... my he560 is cableless because I’m using it favorably for the hawks and my 1840 is just collecting dust (not really I cover all my cans) time to sell a couple cans I think

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #8,955 of 10,196
That’s good information for me because I’ve always been interested in the Amiron Homes. I do still love my 800’s and Hekv2 and my 7200 for isolation, they all are great but there’s just something about these... my he560 is cableless because I’m using it favorably for the hawks and my 1840 is just collecting dust (not really I cover all my cans) time to sell a couple cans I think

The Amiron Home is a great headphone and I loved it on the Lyr 3 Multibit, but I don't have the Lyr 3 anymore and it's not really the same without it, it's a little more dry sounding on my current system than I like. I generally use my Hawks for general use and most music use, but when I want isolation and to be taken to another world with the sound I use my modded DT 480.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back