AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #8,371 of 10,196
Welcome to the club peeps, awesome to see people still interested in the Nighthawks, if not bittersweet!

8283874180646055451 (2).jpg

Been dealing with a crappy head-cold, crazy weather we're having over here! So far, I've been running the Nighthawks on the Jotunheim and Mjolnir in balanced. (Amaze-balls!)

Cable works a treat and all is going well, going to come around with some impressions soon!

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #8,372 of 10,196
OK so I just ordered my second pair of NH, even though I only received my first pair 2 months ago. Does that make me a senior member of the NH fan club?

Once I get it I’m gonna stock it as the possible future replacement for my current one. It’s the first time I do things like this, not even for my favorite CD or most cherished comic books. But from now on I can enjoy my NH without thinking that I may broke it and never had a replacement.

At this time I am revisiting the best new music released this year, and most of them are indie or hip hop and was recorded in pretty bad sound quality. The NH really make these recordings sound much better than on brighter headphones and make the music much more enjoyable. Since most of my favorite genres are usually recorded in subpar sound quality, I think I may have to stay with NH for the foreseeable future before my tastes in music shift again.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #8,373 of 10,196
OK so I just ordered my second pair of NH, even though I only received my first pair 2 months ago. Does that make me a senior member of the NH fan club?

Once I get it I’m gonna stock it as the possible future replacement for my current one.

I will order a second pair of the NO soon. What are your thoughts on this: the way these HPs come in the box, one of the cups is pressed quite hard against the other, and rather flattened out at the bottom. If you leave it like that for 5 years untouched, unopened, will it remain flat forever? So my question is, should we open the backup pairs and store them differently?

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #8,374 of 10,196
I will order a second pair of the NO soon. What are your thoughts on this: the way these HPs come in the box, one of the cups is pressed quite hard against the other, and rather flattened out at the bottom. If you leave it like that for 5 years untouched, unopened, will it remain flat forever? So my question is, should we open the backup pairs and store them differently?

That is a good point. I actually have my Nighthawk in a different case that avoids that pressure on the cup. I use the Nighthawk case for another headphone where there is no similar issue...my Fostex th500rp (open planar) with its massive attached cable... fits well.

R0013912.JPG

The Nighthawk is in this box which has foam padding on both sides so it does not slide around. Room for the cables I bought.

R0013918.JPG

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #8,376 of 10,196
Good point, I never thought of that. Probably should order a HP case too, or maybe we could just take down the pads and store them separately?

Which makes me think about another question: how do we get the replacement pads in the future..

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #8,377 of 10,196
I've emailed a contact for AQ in Singapore, hopefully they respond back soon.

Once I get it I’m gonna stock it as the possible future replacement for my current one. It’s the first time I do things like this, not even for my favorite CD or most cherished comic books. But from now on I can enjoy my NH without thinking that I may broke it and never had a replacement.

At this time I am revisiting the best new music released this year, and most of them are indie or hip hop and was recorded in pretty bad sound quality. The NH really make these recordings sound much better than on brighter headphones and make the music much more enjoyable. Since most of my favorite genres are usually recorded in subpar sound quality, I think I may have to stay with NH for the foreseeable future before my tastes in music shift again.
I find this very true too @dannyvstheworld!

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #8,379 of 10,196
I just got a pair of Nighthawks from a friend of mine. I currently have Mrspeakers Ether Flow Open, and have had Audeze LCD-4, and Hifiman HE-1000 prior to that. Wow, the Nighthawk might be my favorite headphone I've owned! I could listen to these 24 hours a day. :gs1000smile:

Does anyone know where I can get a balanced cable with 4 pin neutral termination for my amp?

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #8,381 of 10,196
I just got a pair of Nighthawks from a friend of mine. I currently have Mrspeakers Ether Flow Open, and have had Audeze LCD-4, and Hifiman HE-1000 prior to that. Wow, the Nighthawk might be my favorite headphone I've owned! I could listen to these 24 hours a day. :gs1000smile:

Does anyone know where I can get a balanced cable with 4 pin neutral termination for my amp?

Thanks.
Where about's are you in the world mate? You should be able to find a decent cable maker on Ebay, there's a few decent UK sellers that can do the cable, China is another area you can search and plenty in the US if you're from there!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-core-OC...E560-HE-350-HE1000-V2-Headphone-/223039915843 - This is what I've been using on my NH's are it works great, no jankies or cable noise now!

Welcome to the Parliament! :eagle:

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #8,383 of 10,196
So nice to see new people falling in love with these (IMO) underrated cans. Still loving mine, despite numerous purchases since...

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #8,384 of 10,196
Quick update: Just heard back from Eugene from AQ (Singapore), seems to be that they still have replacement pads for sale. More info to come!

Also, why I love the NH's!
cowboy junkies.jpg

Glass of Red Wine to add tubey effect...:kissing_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #8,385 of 10,196
Quick update: Just heard back from Eugene from AQ (Singapore), seems to be that they still have replacement pads for sale. More info to come!

Also, why I love the NH's!

Glass of Red Wine to add tubey effect...:kissing_closed_eyes:
If you find more hybrid pads, please post. Would love to have backups for both my Nighthawk and my Nightowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back