AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #8,401 of 10,194
Might be a nice change:)

ya....for my wallet.....lol

I had to stop visiting here all the time because every time I come here it almost never fails I buy something. I hadn't been on here in like a year, I decide to visit...oh look...someone selling the RHA T10 that I want for 65 bucks brand new. Find out Nighthawks aren't going to be made anymore, buy a pair of Carbons just in case.

Welp, it's time to log the hell back off and re-visit maybe in another year :jecklinsmile:

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #8,402 of 10,194
ya....for my wallet.....lol

I had to stop visiting here all the time because every time I come here it almost never fails I buy something. I hadn't been on here in like a year, I decide to visit...oh look...someone selling the RHA T10 that I want for 65 bucks brand new. Find out Nighthawks aren't going to be made anymore, buy a pair of Carbons just in case.

Welp, it's time to log the hell back off and re-visit maybe in another year :jecklinsmile:

I have been here daily for over two years. If you look at my list you will see the result.

I feel embarrassed!

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #8,404 of 10,194
This is the info Eugene from AQ in Singapore gave me, looks promising for other AQ dealers:

We do have following ear pads that may still be used with the NightHawk

Description

US Retail

Leather Ear Pad (Pair)

$49.95

Description

US Retail

Ultra-Suede Ear Pad (Pair)

$49.95

Thank You,

Regards,

Eugene Guo

Will grab an extra leather pad for the future, me thinks!

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #8,405 of 10,194
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #8,406 of 10,194
I own one pair NH, and one pair NO. The NO have slightly better clarity, especially in bass. Overall I prefer the NH because of the soundstage depth and distance. NO is still quite useful to use at my office job. By "distance" I mean that the NO has more forward sound, like I'm in the front row of a concert when I'd rather be in the 10th row. The NH places me further away, it has an "airier" sound signature.

I also own Amiron Home, which is even airier, with better separation and slightly better detail than the NH. On balance I prefer the NH to the BAH because the NH has more authentic, more organic sound. In particular strings in orchestral music are more credible and enjoyable through the NH.

So the NH and BAH expose the shortcomings in each other. My question is, what headphones should I be considering which might have the best qualities (as I perceive them) of the NH and BAH?

(I bought the BAH after testing it side-by-side against the AFO, and chose the BAH because of its noticeably better detail, so the AFO is not a candidate).

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #8,407 of 10,194
I own one pair NH, and one pair NO. The NO have slightly better clarity, especially in bass. Overall I prefer the NH because of the soundstage depth and distance. NO is still quite useful to use at my office job. By "distance" I mean that the NO has more forward sound, like I'm in the front row of a concert when I'd rather be in the 10th row. The NH places me further away, it has an "airier" sound signature.

I also own Amiron Home, which is even airier, with better separation and slightly better detail than the NH. On balance I prefer the NH to the BAH because the NH has more authentic, more organic sound. In particular strings in orchestral music are more credible and enjoyable through the NH.

So the NH and BAH expose the shortcomings in each other. My question is, what headphones should I be considering which might have the best qualities (as I perceive them) of the NH and BAH?

(I bought the BAH after testing it side-by-side against the AFO, and chose the BAH because of its noticeably better detail, so the AFO is not a candidate).

This is called going down the rabbit hole. Be sure to pack your wallet.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #8,408 of 10,194

You have described my exact thoughts on the Hawk vs the Owl, as well asy own personal preference. I only slightly like the Owl more for aybe classical instruments perhaps, but love the Hawks immensely

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #8,409 of 10,194
Just to add in to the general love for the 'hawks:

I have Nighthawks and HE400i. To my ears they complimented each other well and I loved them both for different reasons. The 400is were clearly more detailed in the treble without being bass shy.
I bought the InEars Prophile 8s and they've barely been out of my ears. Everything I've been after, with a wonderful HF resolution without being sharp, sibilant or painful.
I've swapped back to the Nighthawks a few times (I have them at work) and still found them delightful - no concern about shifting from almost reference to the 'hawks very specific sound signature and I've not felt like I've lost detail from one to the other.
The HE400is, on the other hand, do not compare well at all. It's a bit sad. These headphones that I loved so much now sound....well, kind of bad. My reference for high end clarity and detail has shifted so much that the HE400is now fall really short.
I would have expected the 'hawks to fare worse - to really show up that 'veil' that people complain about but in fact (as I've said before) all the detail is actually there, it's just not smacking you in the face.
I really think they are a remarkably underrated and misunderstood bit of gear. My first serious pair of headphones and it looks like I chose really well - the Nighthawks are here to stay.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #8,410 of 10,194
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #8,411 of 10,194
Lent a bud my Nighthawks for a few days. He's now on the hunt for his own pair to play with his Earstudio.The cult thickens..
One of us,
One of us,

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #8,412 of 10,194
Thanks for the feedback on the Nighthawk Wood variant vs the Carbon. Can anyone who has both please provide some impressions? I know at least half of you own both! Most threads, you are lucky enough to run across people that own that headphone, here, you all believe in multiple copies!

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #8,413 of 10,194
Thanks for the feedback on the Nighthawk Wood variant vs the Carbon. Can anyone who has both please provide some impressions? I know at least half of you own both! Most threads, you are lucky enough to run across people that own that headphone, here, you all believe in multiple copies!
I owned all three. NO has a more closed-in sound but the bass is better controlled. NH has a slightly boomier bass but sounds more open and airy compared to NO. Between the NH wood and NH carbon there is no sonic difference. Wood version comes with the hybrid pads, carbon version comes with full pleather and micro suede pads. Also they have got different cables. As I mentioned before the earpads make them sound different. (And the cable a tiny bit.)

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #8,414 of 10,194
Well if anyone if interested and around the Madison Wi area, mine carbons will be here tomorrowish. Got an Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber to listen through. Or bring your own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back