AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #7,846 of 10,194
Yes, comparing the NH wood's with the NO's, I do find that the former is bit warmer than the latter when using the same hybrid earpads.
Do you feel that the Nightowl does anything particularly a bit better than the Nighthawk?

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #7,847 of 10,194
Do you feel that the Nightowl does anything particularly a bit better than the Nighthawk?

Because the NO is a bit brighter than the NH, details are a touch better and the bass is a little tighter. In the end, it is just a different flavor. Despite this, I still love my NH woods.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #7,848 of 10,194
Because the NO is a bit brighter than the NH, details are a touch better and the bass is a little tighter. In the end, it is just a different flavor. Despite this, I still love my NH woods.
Again, I thoroughly agree. I can actually see myself enjoying both at different times, and not feeling like it's a waste. These are honestly two of my favorite headphones, ever. We all hear things a bit differently, and though I can understand the "superiority" of cans such as the Utopia, etc., I'm not a fan, and NOTHING makes me feel the way these do. Looking to get my hands on a pair of Nighthawk woods soon

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #7,849 of 10,194
I will be putting mine for sale sometimes this week. Pristine condition with both the original cable and the thick one with remote. Because of a new position at work I haven't got the chance to listen to music for the past two months.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #7,850 of 10,194
I'm sure this has been addressed previously in this thread, but could anyone recommend a good, affordable desktop amp/dac (preferably combo) to pair with the Nighthawks (I have the original woods)? I have been using the portable Xduoo XD-05 and it is a very nice match but was looking to upgrade. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #7,851 of 10,194
I am really surprised at how good the Nighthawks sound on single-ended from my Sony NW - WM1A.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #7,852 of 10,194
That's a new one on me. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #7,854 of 10,194
I'm sure this has been addressed previously in this thread, but could anyone recommend a good, affordable desktop amp/dac (preferably combo) to pair with the Nighthawks (I have the original woods)? I have been using the portable Xduoo XD-05 and it is a very nice match but was looking to upgrade. Thanks for any suggestions.
I suggest the Schiit Jotunheim, with internal dac, with a balanced cable (4pin xlr) and that bird will sing.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #7,855 of 10,194
Also another question (and this I haven't seen addressed): Does anyone know what kind of wood went into the making of the liquid wood cups? Probably neither here nor there, but it would be neat to learn.

From the Audioquest site:

NightHawk’s earcups are made from a revolutionary material called “Liquid Wood”—actual wood that has been combined with reclaimed plant fiber, heated, liquefied, and processed in such a way that it can be injection molded. While injection molding is commonly accomplished with environmentally hazardous plastics or synthetic polymers, Liquid Wood is a natural material—as sustainable as it is physically beautiful. Moreover, compared to ordinary plastic or wood, Liquid Wood has far superior acoustic properties and provides a seemingly endless array of geometric possibilities. In NightHawk, we’ve used Liquid Wood to shape our earcups to more closely resemble the human ear, thereby providing a more complete and comfortable fit, reducing stress on the listener’s head and ears.

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #7,856 of 10,194
From the Audioquest site:

NightHawk’s earcups are made from a revolutionary material called “Liquid Wood”—actual wood that has been combined with reclaimed plant fiber, heated, liquefied, and processed in such a way that it can be injection molded. While injection molding is commonly accomplished with environmentally hazardous plastics or synthetic polymers, Liquid Wood is a natural material—as sustainable as it is physically beautiful. Moreover, compared to ordinary plastic or wood, Liquid Wood has far superior acoustic properties and provides a seemingly endless array of geometric possibilities. In NightHawk, we’ve used Liquid Wood to shape our earcups to more closely resemble the human ear, thereby providing a more complete and comfortable fit, reducing stress on the listener’s head and ears.

Yes thanks-- I remember seeing that-- but just wondering what the actual wood is that they use to make that concoction.

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,857 of 10,194
Yes thanks-- I remember seeing that-- but just wondering what the actual wood is that they use to make that concoction.

Maybe they would tell you if you ask. I wish Skylar was still in this thread. He probably knows.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #7,859 of 10,194
Thought I would share some Nighthawk love... the oddest pair of headphones I own.

_DSC1300.jpg

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #7,860 of 10,194
Nice, sniperpr5. I only have the wood but the carbon's look sweet. Nice cable you have there, too. Where did you get that from? Looking for a new cable myself. The one that came with the 'hawks is just a little too long for me and awkward in its use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back