AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 29, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #7,816 of 10,189
Thanks, devodonaldson. Appreciate the extra idea. I like that the ifi has bluetooth. Do you still have the dragonfly red and use it? I don't like the idea that it is light on the bass. I like my bass! Very hard to try amp/dacs out here in Australia, as most of my choices are shipped to me. I believe my local dealer can only get dragonflies and chord mojo's. I like that the dragonfly is so portable, a plug and play solution. Is the chord mojo a big step up in sound quality?
I still have the red. The reason I call it bass light is not compared to a phone etc, the equipment of the red you are going to notice a pretty strong drop off in the bass compared to the devices standard eq. The red will sound far more detailed, but some of the umph is definitely missing. The me ojo definitely does not have that problem. If the bass is in the music, the mojo will present it well. Tight, controlled, but strong. Don't know what shipping taxes are like to Australia, but I got my xdsd from amazon. Xdsd or mojo you will be happy with. Approx 8hrs of battery with either

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #7,817 of 10,189
I still have the red. The reason I call it bass light is not compared to a phone etc, the equipment of the red you are going to notice a pretty strong drop off in the bass compared to the devices standard eq. The red will sound far more detailed, but some of the umph is definitely missing. The me ojo definitely does not have that problem. If the bass is in the music, the mojo will present it well. Tight, controlled, but strong. Don't know what shipping taxes are like to Australia, but I got my xdsd from amazon. Xdsd or mojo you will be happy with. Approx 8hrs of battery with either
Thanks for that. I think I will probably go with the mojo as I can get it locally. Allows me to try it out. The xdsd sounds better on paper but...have to order online.

Jun 30, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #7,818 of 10,189
Just got these second hand and loving them. Very different sound sig! However, I think I may need to get new pads soon. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, I need a new portable amp/dac solution. Anyone using the dragonfly black, red, or chord mojo and care to comment on their synergy with the nighthawks? I am working my way through the thread but there does not seem to be a clear direction

cheers
You can order pads from AQ. Just drop them an email from the address on their website. I got a reply in about 2 days.
Looking to order the u/s earpads and the headband. Was quoted prices for both.

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #7,819 of 10,189
Thanks for that. I think I will probably go with the mojo as I can get it locally. Allows me to try it out. The xdsd sounds better on paper but...have to order online.
You can't go wrong with the Mojo. IMO it is a great pairing with the Nighthawks. Unless you need wireless connectivity the Mojo is the better choice, to my ears it sounds better than the xDSD.

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #7,820 of 10,189
You can order pads from AQ. Just drop them an email from the address on their website. I got a reply in about 2 days.
Looking to order the u/s earpads and the headband. Was quoted prices for both.
Ooooo, so what are you looking at for replacement pads? I guess I would have to pay shipping to Australia as well. Was it reasonable to you?

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #7,821 of 10,189
You can't go wrong with the Mojo. IMO it is a great pairing with the Nighthawks. Unless you need wireless connectivity the Mojo is the better choice, to my ears it sounds better than the xDSD.
Great betula, thanks for that. Was tossing up whether the black or red dragonfly would be sufficient but probably just worth while this my present and future cans to just get the mojo. Will let you know how I go. I am currently using an old Fiio e7 and it is... ok only.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #7,822 of 10,189
Great betula, thanks for that. Was tossing up whether the black or red dragonfly would be sufficient but probably just worth while this my present and future cans to just get the mojo. Will let you know how I go. I am currently using an old Fiio e7 and it is... ok only.

Dragonfly is more than enough, can't use volume over 20 (from 100). Or you go def :D I can imagine that RED will kill you volume at 10 :p

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #7,823 of 10,189
Dragonfly is more than enough, can't use volume over 20 (from 100). Or you go def :D I can imagine that RED will kill you volume at 10 :p
Yes, but is the dragonfly black a good match with the 'hawks? Have you tried anything else? They are sensitive cans, but I find a noticeable difference in quality of sound from all my current sources "cheap" sources i.e. ibasso dx50, xduoo 3 and my cheap dac/amp fiio e7. Especially in the bass department and the apparent separation / layering of the sound.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #7,824 of 10,189
Volume is not everything. If it was, then 95% of the DAC/amps wouldn't exist.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #7,825 of 10,189
Jul 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #7,826 of 10,189
This song with Nighthawks: Oneohtrix Point Never – I Only Have Eyes for You.
I lost my marbles :D

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #7,827 of 10,189
This song with Nighthawks: Oneohtrix Point Never – I Only Have Eyes for You.
I lost my marbles :D
Can't.....say I have heard of them before! Will give them a listen.
I am constantly amazed by how dependent ALL headphones sound based on the quality of the recording. For example, I will listen to one album on them and find the bass appears 'off' somehow. Like the headphones are not able to render the bass properly. But I think it is my brain anticipating what the bass should sound like and telling me it is the headphones when in fact it is the quality of the recording. Because then I try something else out and the bass is amazing!

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #7,828 of 10,189
Can't.....say I have heard of them before! Will give them a listen.
I am constantly amazed by how dependent ALL headphones sound based on the quality of the recording. For example, I will listen to one album on them and find the bass appears 'off' somehow. Like the headphones are not able to render the bass properly. But I think it is my brain anticipating what the bass should sound like and telling me it is the headphones when in fact it is the quality of the recording. Because then I try something else out and the bass is amazing!
Quality of recording, bitrate, DAC, amp, headphones: equally important links in the audio chain. The better certain components are of this chain, the more they reveal the fault of the weaker links. I have recently upgraded my DAC/amp for example, and it was a revelation how the same recording sounds better in 3000kbps FLAC compared to 800kbps FLAC. The lower bitrate file still sounds great, but in A/B comparison the more details of the higher bitrate file is obvious.

As you said, we can't blame one component of this chain, if the quality of the other links are not on level.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #7,829 of 10,189
I have owned these headphones for almost 2 years now, and they are still the most puzzling pair I own. Every damn time I put these on I think, "what the Hell? Who put mud in my ear cups???" But after about 2 or 3 songs, I start thinking, "Why don't I just sell everything else?! These are AMAZING!" What is this strange voodoo?
Also, after almost 2 years, my pair is still stinky, lol.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #7,830 of 10,189
I have owned these headphones for almost 2 years now, and they are still the most puzzling pair I own. Every damn time I put these on I think, "what the Hell? Who put mud in my ear cups???" But after about 2 or 3 songs, I start thinking, "Why don't I just sell everything else?! These are AMAZING!" What is this strange voodoo?
Also, after almost 2 years, my pair is still stinky, lol.
I love that stink... Your nose must be quite exceptional, as my pair stopped 'stinking' after a month.

You are right, some voodoo is going on here with the Hawks. They lead you to a separate little world where no other headphones live. :)
There is better sound obviously, like for example when you compare the percussion heard on the NH and on the LCD2C the latter is just more real. The NH's however are quite exceptional in many ways. Great bang for your bucks and the most relaxing, very unique sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back