AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #7,876 of 10,196
Would you say the Dragonfly Red is better than the Dragonfly v1.2 at presenting soundstage on the Nighthawks? Weird question, I know, but I'm looking for a true upgrade from my original Dragonfly which I didn't really find in the CTH or m9xx. Specifically, do you find the additional clarity adds or detracts from the feeling you get from listening to the soundstage?

I'm having a hard time trusting other reviews since few seem to appreciate that deep, layered Nighthawk/Dragonfly sound (probably focusing too much on detail retrieval instead). I remember when I first bought my Audioquest Nighthawks and tried it with the Dragonfly, it was like listening in a higher framerate (if that makes sense). My brain paid attention to more of the music more of the time, and it was just so easy to float away and get taken by the sound, even if I didn't understand it all. Atmosphere is so important to me and I'm not really feeling it quite as much on other DAC/amps. Hoping the Red is everything and more.
I recently tried out the red and the ultrasone naos and the ifi nano BL and walked away with the ifi. Still not sure if I made the right decision because sound wise THEY WERE ALL VERY GOOD. I had a lot of trouble making my mind up because each one brought a slightly different but excellent nuanced sound signiture to the table. I liked having the volume pot for sound control, so I went with the ifi black label. I felt I didn't need ultra-portability. It also gave me greater power.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #7,877 of 10,196
I recently tried out the red and the ultrasone naos and the ifi nano BL and walked away with the ifi. Still not sure if I made the right decision because sound wise THEY WERE ALL VERY GOOD. I had a lot of trouble making my mind up because each one brought a slightly different but excellent nuanced sound signiture to the table. I liked having the volume pot for sound control, so I went with the ifi black label. I felt I didn't need ultra-portability. It also gave me greater power.

Makes sense. I'm curious about the iFi too—I've heard great things about the Micro's synergy with the Nighthawks. I just feel the DFR is a safer bet for me since it's pretty cheap second-hand and I already know I like the old version. I wish I had the chance to do some A/B tests, you're very lucky to have this opportunity!

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #7,878 of 10,196
Makes sense. I'm curious about the iFi too—I've heard great things about the Micro's synergy with the Nighthawks. I just feel the DFR is a safer bet for me since it's pretty cheap second-hand and I already know I like the old version. I wish I had the chance to do some A/B tests, you're very lucky to have this opportunity!
I tried dfr against my ak70 player on carbon and nighthawk at a show. Both cases ak70 performed better than the dfr. I felt the ak70 underrated with its reviews after trying it out there.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #7,881 of 10,196
Thanks for info Bern i'll order one when I get home. I need a 2.5 trrs version for for my portable player.

If anyone is interested I have the original stock NightHawk cable and the newer thock one with the remote. Both in pristine condition. Pm me for good price .

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #7,882 of 10,196
Update on the search of a better headphones than Nighthawks is over. The monolith m1060 slightly modded took the NH down and what win it is.

The soundstage is much large and the imaging is much better on m1060, but the nighthawk carbons still sounds more natural and bass is bit better.
The thing is, the m1060 is so close to NH on those that the huge soundstage and the imaging takes the lead.

The trick is to mod those m1060, the straight out of box m1060 isnt going to do it so you need to get your hands dirty. There is much to go around in the modding part of m1060,
even 3D printed parts and there is the road now pointing on my search of the "end game".

Audeze LCD-2 are very close to these so if you want better than modded n1060 you need put on the table well over 1000$.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #7,883 of 10,196
Update on the search of a better headphones than Nighthawks is over. The monolith m1060 slightly modded took the NH down and what win it is.

The soundstage is much large and the imaging is much better on m1060, but the nighthawk carbons still sounds more natural and bass is bit better.
The thing is, the m1060 is so close to NH on those that the huge soundstage and the imaging takes the lead.

The trick is to mod those m1060, the straight out of box m1060 isnt going to do it so you need to get your hands dirty. There is much to go around in the modding part of m1060,
even 3D printed parts and there is the road now pointing on my search of the "end game".

Audeze LCD-2 are very close to these so if you want better than modded n1060 you need put on the table well over 1000$.
You don't need to. LCD2C is $799/£599 and occasionally you can get a 10-15% discount on them. Pretty much kills the Monolith.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #7,884 of 10,196
You don't need to. LCD2C is $799/£599 and occasionally you can get a 10-15% discount on them. Pretty much kills the Monolith.

In north Europe LCD2C are 949€ :/

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #7,885 of 10,196

What mods are you using? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on these but the need to mod them kind of puts me off.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #7,887 of 10,196
What mods are you using? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on these but the need to mod them kind of puts me off.

Currently the mods are, No dampening on the outside of driver and Fazor mod inside. Totally awesome soundstage and the imaging is impressive, haven found same on any under HD800 :D And the low end is very good too.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #7,888 of 10,196
Aug 2, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #7,889 of 10,196
Aug 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #7,890 of 10,196
Any Nighthawk owners using Sony NW-WM1A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back