AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 29, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #6,886 of 10,196
Last week I was browsing bunch of headphones on my local Hifi dealer, Nighthawks as well, and i must honestly say that they look and feel just brilliant!
I just did not like soundsignature of those cans, at all. Defenitely not flat by all means.Upper bass and lo mids were very profound. Sorry to say, but that what i was hearing.

May 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #6,887 of 10,196
Coming from the owls here but I think the suede pads are the better choice for classical. More ring to the instruments (especially wind and string) and space overall. Softer and not as heavily impactful on the bass to my hearing.

That is working really well with small-scale classical. I am listening to the NAXOS Haydn: The Complete String Quartets (Box Set) and the sound is very speaker-like in a well-treated room. I am impressed and thanks for the suggestion.

May 29, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #6,888 of 10,196
Last week I was browsing bunch of headphones on my local Hifi dealer, Nighthawks as well, and i must honestly say that they look and feel just brilliant!
I just did not like soundsignature of those cans, at all. Defenitely not flat by all means.Upper bass and lo mids were very profound. Sorry to say, but that what i was hearing.

Your impressions were the same as many here... until well burned in that is (ie 150 hours).

May 30, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #6,889 of 10,196
If chance is so drastic, why wont they do pre-burn in factory for those drivers?!!?
It´s like i´m testdriving pretty expensive car, wich rattles and shakes, and dealer just says, "It´s going to settle after 10000km, dont worry" :D

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #6,895 of 10,196
I got a great deal on a used pair of Nighthawks yesterday, around 200$. Now, what can I expect when I get them? I already have HD650's and Audeze iSine 20.
Also, are these hard to drive? I've got a Marantz PM5005 speakeramp with a decent headphone out, probably around (or not far from) Mojo level (Certainly better than my Aune x1s). Should this be enough to drive them?

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #6,896 of 10,196
I got a great deal on a used pair of Nighthawks yesterday, around 200$. Now, what can I expect when I get them? I already have HD650's and Audeze iSine 20.
Also, are these hard to drive? I've got a Marantz PM5005 speakeramp with a decent headphone out, probably around (or not far from) Mojo level (Certainly better than my Aune x1s). Should this be enough to drive them?

The Nighthawks are very easy to drive, you can get loud volume from a smartphone. The thing is they also have great distortion performance and linear impedance so the concern you should have pairing with them is one of quality, not quantity. You only need 0.37mW to reach 90dB SPL, but they can reveal a poor source. I have no idea how your Marantz sounds, but because of the Nighthawks 26 Ohm impedance I'd make sure the Marantz unit doesn't output more than 3 Ohms for the headphone socket (I couldn't find the spec online). Some speaker amps have a high output impedance on their headphone output which could mess with the intended frequency response. Mojo's output impedance is 0.075 Ohm (0 impedance is ideal but not possible).

Expect a smooth treble with some emphasis on the bass. I love the sound for what it is, again, mostly because of the low distortion of the headphone and a different tonality from my other gear. I find they are very non-fatiguing and warm. Some feel the Nighthawk is too smooth.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #6,897 of 10,196
The Nighthawks are very easy to drive, you can get loud volume from a smartphone. The thing is they also have great distortion performance and linear impedance so the concern you should have pairing with them is one of quality, not quantity. You only need 0.37mW to reach 90dB SPL, but they can reveal a poor source. I have no idea how your Marantz sounds, but because of the Nighthawks 26 Ohm impedance I'd make sure the Marantz unit doesn't output more than 3 Ohms for the headphone socket (I couldn't find the spec online). Some speaker amps have a high output impedance on their headphone output which could mess with the intended frequency response. Mojo's output impedance is 0.075 Ohm (0 impedance is ideal but not possible).

Expect a smooth treble with some emphasis on the bass. I love the sound for what it is, again, mostly because of the low distortion of the headphone and a different tonality from my other gear. I find they are very non-fatiguing and warm. Some feel the Nighthawk is too smooth.
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to try and find the specs for the Marantz then, or just listen and see.
As for sound, this seems like the exact headphone I am looking for. When eq,d (like I usually do), my iSines have a pretty similar sound signature as the Focal Elear. What I want is a warm, relaxing set of headphones to compliment them. My first thought was getting another pair of HD650's (sold mine when I bought the iSine). But from what I'm reading about the Nighthawks, they very well might be even better. If some of the reviews I've read are true and they can indeed compete with the Elears, I would be extremely happy.

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #6,898 of 10,196
Has anyone compared them balanced vs unbalanced?

They really woke up with a balanced cable. Better transparency, clarity and bass. The stock cable sounds flat in comparison. I'm using VE balanced cable for h400i - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VE-...755404.html?shortkey=I3EFNBbI&addresstype=600

35018888552_7c466da990_h.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #6,899 of 10,196
What's up guys

My Nightowls are finally arriving tomorrow. I've been reading this entire thread closely and am learning about all the different pads. My problem is, I don't know where to find any of these pads online and what would be best for my set-up with source materiel I listen too. I've searched "hard" and everywhere and cannot find anyone that sells OEM, US, Protein Leather and Ultra Suede Pads. Are any of these included with your original purchase as you get 2 sets? Even AQ doesn't have an online store where you can purchase them, at least I can't find it.

I'm running with a Jot/Modi 2. I listen to pretty hard stuff like progressive metal, progressive fusion/Jazz, hard rock, Djent....mostly modern with some old school rock thrown in there.
I also have the HD650's and THX-00 PH's. With the NO's, I feel I'll have every sound sig that I'd really want, except for maybe a set of nice Planar's down the road.

Lastly, with my set-up and what I listen too musically wise, what pads are best? I understand it's all opinion, but I don't even have one of those at this point.
Cheers :metal::L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #6,900 of 10,196
What's up guys

My Nightowls are finally arriving tomorrow. I've been reading this entire thread closely and am learning about all the different pads. My problem is, I don't know where to find any of these pads online and what would be best for my set-up with source materiel I listen too. I've searched "hard" and everywhere and cannot find anyone that sells OEM, US, Protein Leather and Ultra Suede Pads. Are any of these included with your original purchase as you get 2 sets? Even AQ doesn't have an online store where you can purchase them, at least I can't find it.

I'm running with a Jot/Modi 2. I listen to pretty hard stuff like progressive metal, progressive fusion/Jazz, hard rock, Djent....mostly modern with some old school rock thrown in there.
I also have the HD650's and THX-00 PH's. With the NO's, I feel I'll have every sound sig that I'd really want, except for maybe a set of nice Planar's down the road.

Lastly, with my set-up and what I listen too musically wise, what pads are best? I understand it's all opinion, but I don't even have one of those at this point.
Cheers :metal::L3000:

Well I guess I can laugh at myself. I finally figured all the terminology out. Not too bright on my part. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back