AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #6,901 of 10,196
Hi all, long-time lurker first-time poster. Bought my Nighthawks at the end of last year during the $350 sale. It was my first pair of 'audiophile' headphones, and have loved them so much more than anything else I tried since then (AKG K7XX, MDR-XB700, EMU PH). I am wondering, is there any way to get a replacement cable for the original 'high quality' cable that the NH comes with? My cable started making static noises and intermittently cutting out the other day, so I am currently using the mobile cable, which I definitely do not like as much. I Googled like crazy but could not find anyone selling the original cable. The only thing I found was this newegg link that seems like it will never restock: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA71N5KR6402

Not sure why my cable started doing this. Is there any kind of warranty on the cable that AudioQuest will honor, or am I just SOL?

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #6,902 of 10,196
Hi all, long-time lurker first-time poster. Bought my Nighthawks at the end of last year during the $350 sale. It was my first pair of 'audiophile' headphones, and have loved them so much more than anything else I tried since then (AKG K7XX, MDR-XB700, EMU PH). I am wondering, is there any way to get a replacement cable for the original 'high quality' cable that the NH comes with? My cable started making static noises and intermittently cutting out the other day, so I am currently using the mobile cable, which I definitely do not like as much. I Googled like crazy but could not find anyone selling the original cable. The only thing I found was this newegg link that seems like it will never restock: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA71N5KR6402

Not sure why my cable started doing this. Is there any kind of warranty on the cable that AudioQuest will honor, or am I just SOL?

There is an warranty to the headphone and it included the cable, just register the headphone on the audioquest website and call them and they give you the information you need. The whole process should take less than a week. The thicker cable is prone to failure, it happened to me on my pair.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #6,903 of 10,196
It will be obvious that I'm not speaking audiophile but my ears tell me I am.
I got my N.O.'s last night and must say I really like the sound right out of the box. I understand they need a good 150 hours burn in so I'm looking forward to hearing them after that time.

Very unique sound like nothing I've heard before. Very speaker like. I felt like I was sitting on stage with the band or sitting on the stool at the kit. I've only listened with the stock pads out of the box so far. Looking forward to putting the others on today and test driving them.

Very relaxed sound with smooth high end where the cymbals sound quite realistic. Little sibilance I could hear. The mids are up front to me and blends in wonderfully. The bass is even punchy already and is definitely recessed compared to the THX-00 PH's. Obviously they don't have the sub bass like the P.H.'s but they sound "very"good. The midbass really shines more then what I'm accustomed too and will probably take some time to get used to it. . But we'll see after burn in.

About the cable. For me it's fine as I sit right next to my desk and it's close enough to the amp where I still have plenty of room to move around "a bit"
I definitely can see why a lot of listeners would have a hard time with its length. I'm waiting on my DFR so we'll see how that works when I go portable.

I'm really impressed as this is the best set of cans Ive ever heard right out of the box, but I've only really listened to maybe 10 in my life. Coming from a layman, take this for what it's worth. All I know is I really like this sound signature and will have a difficult time choosing what set of cans I want to make my go to as I love all three.

These really compliment my HD 650's and THX-00 P.H.'s.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #6,904 of 10,196

The cable should be replaced under warranty. The original thicker cable easily develops a contact problem at the jack plug. When it came to replacing my replacement cable, I asked for the new NH Carbon cable instead which was kindly sent to me by AQ. It is a bit bulky, but built like a tank. Finally looks like I can stop asking for replacement cables every 4-5 months.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #6,905 of 10,196
Received my NIghthawks today, and I don't really know what to think of them. When I first heard them, my first thought was honestly to just sell them again asap.... Sounded extremely dark and boomy, no treble and sucked out midrange. But then I kept listening, and after just a couple of hours I really liked them. Treble is more recessed than I prefer, but when you listen closely all the detail is still there. Midrange still sounds unnatural to me, but sooo smooth and thick and warm. Bass slam is massive, but doesn't intrude into the midrange as much as I first thought. Compared to my iSines, I'd still say the iSines win. They sound so realistic and natural, both in sound signature and the way music is presented (speed, imaging etc.). The Nighthawks definitely do not sound realistic, but present the sound in their own beautiful, unique, bizarre way. I may have to keep these...

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #6,906 of 10,196
Received my NIghthawks today, and I don't really know what to think of them. When I first heard them, my first thought was honestly to just sell them again asap.... Sounded extremely dark and boomy, no treble and sucked out midrange. But then I kept listening, and after just a couple of hours I really liked them. Treble is more recessed than I prefer, but when you listen closely all the detail is still there. Midrange still sounds unnatural to me, but sooo smooth and thick and warm. Bass slam is massive, but doesn't intrude into the midrange as much as I first thought. Compared to my iSines, I'd still say the iSines win. They sound so realistic and natural, both in sound signature and the way music is presented (speed, imaging etc.). The Nighthawks definitely do not sound realistic, but present the sound in their own beautiful, unique, bizarre way. I may have to keep these...
put velour ear pads and thank me later

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #6,907 of 10,196
put velour ear pads and thank me later
Big impact on sound? I don't want them to sound like "normal headphones", for that I already have the isines. But a little more treble presence would be nice. Not sure if these are burned in properly or not, I bought them used. I've read that burn-in has a big effect on these cans?

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #6,908 of 10,196
Protein Leather Earpads

• Sound signature: Slightly Enhanced treble clarity

Hybrid Earpads

• Sound signature: Balanced

Microsuede Earpads

• Sound signature: Slightly reduced bass impact

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #6,909 of 10,196
Big impact on sound? I don't want them to sound like "normal headphones", for that I already have the isines. But a little more treble presence would be nice. Not sure if these are burned in properly or not, I bought them used. I've read that burn-in has a big effect on these cans?
big impact on the sound yes for the better, more airy, bigger soundstage, cleaner overall, they will not sound like a normal headphones, they will sound like high end headphones

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #6,910 of 10,196
big impact on the sound yes for the better, more airy, bigger soundstage, cleaner overall, they will not sound like a normal headphones, they will sound like high end headphones

Are you referring to these?
Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #6,914 of 10,196
Do you have a link to where I can buy them? Are they angled or flat? Do they snap right on or require modding?

Actually all you have to do is input velour ear pads in google and it pops up. I just clicked on the link for Amazon and this is what it was. Or just google the black bolded description I wrote above and it will take you right there. I don't have any answers for you as I needed info too. At this least you can google it.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #6,915 of 10,196
red stock, green velour
1721729.png

velours fit, you just have to poke 4 holes in the lip to fit the plastic frame from the NightHawk

1530682.jpe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back