AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,466 of 10,196
FWIW if you like the Hawk and are interested in a "bigger" version of it, the Kennerton Vali is a great one to look into.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,467 of 10,196
  I wonder if I'm the only person on the planet that went Nighthawk -> HD700 
beyersmile.png

After almost missing out on the NH because of what this guy or that guy said about them, I wouldn't be surprised if the HD700 are not even close to as bad as people make them out to be. That said NH -> HD700 is not a shift I see often, especially if you enjoyed the former, like you did. Out of curiosity, what do you like most about the HD700 over the NH?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,468 of 10,196

After almost missing out on the NH because of what this guy or that guy said about them, I wouldn't be surprised if the HD700 are not even close to as bad as people make them out to be. That said NH -> HD700 is not a shift I see often, especially if you enjoyed the former, like you did. Out of curiosity, what do you like most about the HD700 over the NH?

Something about the extra sharpness appealed to me, plus I really like the big soundstage these days. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #3,469 of 10,196

The HD 700 is a headphone that is unfairly bashed in my opinion. I can definitely see people being happy with them, they definitely have their charm. I've never been a huge fan of Senns, always seem to grow bored of them after a few days or so like something is missing that I can't put my finger on, but that's just me. I personally getting the DT 1990 Pro, should be delivered at home soon, I get the feeling it will be a very good compliment to the NH, possibly replacing it for me. I do plan on comparing the Nighthawk and the DT 1990 Pro because they are in the same price-bracket despite expecting them to be quite different. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #3,470 of 10,196
  The HD 700 is a headphone that is unfairly bashed in my opinion. I can definitely see people being happy with them, they definitely have their charm. I've never been a huge fan of Senns, always seem to grow bored of them after a few days or so like something is missing that I can't put my finger on, but that's just me. I personally getting the DT 1990 Pro, should be delivered at home soon, I get the feeling it will be a very good compliment to the NH, possibly replacing it for me. I do plan on comparing the Nighthawk and the DT 1990 Pro because they are in the same price-bracket despite expecting them to be quite different. 

I was also a HD700 owner. My first HP. Boy 'O' Boy I could have bashed them. Nearly put me off HP's all together.
That treble was awful.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #3,471 of 10,196
I was also a HD700 owner. My first HP. Boy 'O' Boy I could have bashed them. Nearly put me off HP's all together.
That treble was awful.

I feel like this was either an early production issue or something that depends on the source. Paired with a Little Dot MK2 and it's awesome. Not shrill in the slightest.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #3,472 of 10,196

That treble was awful.

I didn't find the treble bothersome, could of been the system I heard them on. I get the feeling they may be headphones that may just be straight up unpleasant on certain systems and recordings. And maybe different batches sound a bit different, like my experience with the HD 600, HD 650, HD 800, AKG K7, etc. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #3,473 of 10,196
  I didn't find the treble bothersome, could of been the system I heard them on. I get the feeling they may be headphones that may just be straight up unpleasant on certain systems and recordings. And maybe different batches sound a bit different, like my experience with the HD 600, HD 650, HD 800, AKG K7, etc. 

My system was the Oppo HA-1 > HD700. It was so fatiguing.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,474 of 10,196

Haven't heard the Oppo HA-1 before. I heard the HD 700 on the WA6 the first time listening to it a couple years ago, no fatigue at all, the HD 800 I heard back then fatigued me more, though a different and newer HD 800 I heard side by side with the older HD 800 was perfectly fine. Don't recall what tubes, DAC, but I know there was some power conditioning and beefy power cables going into the amp and DAC. It's just like the first HD 600 I had, that thing fatigued the crap out of me regardless of system while the HD 650 didn't(wasn't a fit issue despite me not liking their comfort), but the recent HD 600 I got doesn't fatigue me one bit sonically. You probably got a poorer example of the HD 700, I have found not all headphones of the same model sound the same even with flagships. Don't even get me started on the AKG K7 and K6 series or Beyers.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #3,475 of 10,196

Something about the extra sharpness appealed to me, plus I really like the big soundstage these days. 

I'm with you on the stage lust but after listening to the NH exclusively for months now, I have no clue how much "extra sharpness" my ears can tolerate anymore. I must investigate when I get the chance.

Of the "big three," Beyer is the only one which I haven't heard any of their headphones. Do let us know how the new Beyer kid on the block compares. After the NH, I simply can't justify any headphones priced over $600 to myself anymore, haha. Seem to have hit my mental limit, and that's a good thing!

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #3,476 of 10,196

I'm with you on the stage lust but after listening to the NH exclusively for months now, I have no clue how much "extra sharpness" my ears can tolerate anymore. I must investigate when I get the chance.

Of the "big three," Beyer is the only one which I haven't heard any of their headphones. Do let us know how the new Beyer kid on the block compares. After the NH, I simply can't justify any headphones priced over $600 to myself anymore, haha. Seem to have hit my mental limit, and that's a good thing!

Beyer is my favorite of the big three, AKG used to be but after shifting much of their stuff to China they aren't built the same anymore and I find their sound quality suffered some on the Chinese models. I will do, I am sensitive to fatigue so I will definitely mention if I find it more, less, or about the same in terms of fatigue compared to the Hawks. And how they compare and differ, I am expecting the DT 1990 to be more euphoric than the Hawks based on my ownership of it's closed sibling, the DT 1770.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #3,477 of 10,196

TBH I can't even say the HD700 is better than the Nighthawk. I just can't. However, maybe it's my general wanderlust, or the fact that I've always wanted a pair of HD700s (more than the HD800s, oddly...) that compelled me to get a pair. 

The HD700 is big and airy, the Nighthawk is intimate and organic. Nighthawk instruments certainly sound more like the actual instruments than most things I've heard, the impact and attack are just amazing. 

Granted, it's possible years of metal concerts have softened my treble sensitivity more than I realized. XD

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #3,478 of 10,196
My preference is for NH over HD700 as well. HD700 doesn't do bass well. However, I do agree that the HD700 is highly under appreciated. There's a lot of talk about HD700 being fatiguing but i personally find it less fatiguing than HD800, HD600 and almost everything that Beyer makes. I even like it better than HD650. HD650 has a nicer signature and tone but HD700 is a class above  in clarity and comfort. From where i live, HD700 is cheaper than NH as well.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #3,479 of 10,196

The amp matters with the 700; I can't stand them without my Woo, to be honest.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #3,480 of 10,196

I got the DT 1990 in by the way. I will be comparing them in the future, they do sound different, so quite different sound signature and will likely be good complimentary headphones. The Nighthawks are more laid-back and softer sounding. The DT 1990's have a more tactile, dynamic, euphoric, and aggressive sound. Neither are fatiguing to me, just different sound signatures, not to mention the second pair of pads on the Beyers make them into a different headphone, very different sound. I'm hoping the new pads coming out on the Nighthawks make them into different headphones like it does on the DT 1990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back