AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 12, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3,451 of 10,196
I just recently received my Elear's and have a nighthawk. First impression is the Elear's are much more dynamic with tighter bass and a more forward midrange. The Elear's treble seems a bit more rough compared to the nighthawk. Overall the Elear is more engaging and dynamic.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #3,452 of 10,196
I just recently received my Elear's and have a nighthawk. First impression is the Elear's are much more dynamic with tighter bass and a more forward midrange. The Elear's treble seems a bit more rough compared to the nighthawk. Overall the Elear is more engaging and dynamic.

How about comfort?  I can wear the Nighthawk and forget that they are on my head.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,457 of 10,196
I wouldn't call the Elear tizzy. Just not as subdued as the Nighthawk.

Curious: Have you tried any other pads on the Nighthawks?

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #3,458 of 10,196
It's my number one hate with HP's.

Same here, though not a single person I know that owns the Elear (which are up to a fairly large number at this point) has called the Elear tizzy or even remotely annoying/overstated in the upper frequencies. I hope I can say the same once I audition them personally as I really want to love them.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3,459 of 10,196
Same here, though not a single person I know that owns the Elear (which are up to a fairly large number at this point) has called the Elear tizzy or even remotely annoying/overstated in the upper frequencies. I hope I can say the same once I audition them personally as I really want to love them.

same here. I am going to local headphone shop to hear the Elear's and the Utopia's. I'd prabably walk out with the Utopia then get the Nightowl when it comes out and settle and just enjoy music for awhile.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3,461 of 10,196

i'm thinking of upgrading to the Elear. Please keep up updated on your impressions. When you compare them, did you use the same source? and what source is that? I'm trying to figure the amp requirements for Elear.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #3,462 of 10,196
I wonder if I'm the only person on the planet that went Nighthawk -> HD700 
beyersmile.png

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #3,463 of 10,196

Can't believe that the Elear has tighter bass if I compare the 30 Hz square wave measurements from Tyll. The impression of being more dynamic is usually and largely caused by the targeted tuning of the upper frequency band.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,464 of 10,196
Can't believe that the Elear has tighter bass if I compare the 30 Hz square wave measurements from Tyll. The impression of being more dynamic is usually and largely caused by the targeted tuning of the upper frequency band.

It's easy to believe actually. NH has one of the loosest bass with Mojo as a source. I'll try to pair it with better amp to see if it improves. I'm still a fan of NH so i'm not just saying devalue it. Maybe it's one of the things that measurement does not show?

You are right the more treble gives a sense of dynamism but i disagree that it's the main reason. Dynamics can be described as "
Dynamic
 - The suggestion of energy and wide dynamic. Related to perceived speed as well as contrasts in volume both large and small" I would define dynamics as the speed of transition between soft and loud sound. One of the easiest way to hear dynamics is bass control. A very dynamic system will portray bass that is full yet punchy and fast. Dynamics is not limited to just bass control but control of the whole frequency spectrum. It's the result of a very well powered system. What i just describe is macrodynamics, there is also microdynamics. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,465 of 10,196
i'm thinking of upgrading to the Elear. Please keep up updated on your impressions. When you compare them, did you use the same source? and what source is that? I'm trying to figure the amp requirements for Elear.
I'm using a Marantz Dac-1 and a pioneer xpa-700. The Elear's seem easy to drive. I didn't get much listening time yesterday, but I should the next few days. I'll go back to the Nighthawk after a few days of the Elear and let you know what I think. I am really enjoying the Elear but haven't had much time with it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back