AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 30, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,821 of 10,196
SomeGuyDude" url="/t/749762/audioquest-nighthawk-impressions-and-discussion-thread/2820#post_12617541"]
So basically you just negated literally everything about the tuning of the Nighthawk that Skylar was going for. As in... literally every single aspect of the product that he was trying to get it to do. And made it sound like a headphone that they were specifically trying to AVOID.

Good job, I guess?

Well, for starters I appreciate the NH for the tone and timbre and musicality, I am always a fan of better soundstage and imaging. The former have not changed at all with EQ, just the soundstage have Improved which I prefer.

May 30, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,822 of 10,196
There IS no logic-especially with me because I have 40+ headphones, including several with that high end tuning already...........it was just fun playing around with it. I know, i know, it's probably the pinnacle of stupidity.....

Logic for me was to see if EQ can change the headphones sound for the better (this was my first time simply due to the fact with my prior speaker setups and amps, dac etc. EQ always seems to improve one area but would negatively impact another area so didn't even want to bother with headphones) but for the NH - I might have to do more listening but so far first minutes impressions are very positive.

May 30, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,823 of 10,196
Well, for starters I appreciate the NH for the tone and timbre and musicality, I am a bigger fan of better soundstage and imaging always. The former have not changed at all with EQ, just the soundstage have Improved which I prefer.

The soundstage hasn't improved. All you did was eliminate bass. That's not "better soundstage", it's "less bass". Bass tones offer a stronger physical response in the air due to the larger wavelength, meaning less of it will leave the headphone sounding less "pressed in". You can't EQ a bigger soundstage, that doesn't even make sense.

May 30, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,824 of 10,196
The soundstage hasn't improved. All you did was eliminate bass. That's not "better soundstage", it's "less bass". Bass tones offer a stronger physical response in the air due to the larger wavelength, meaning less of it will leave the headphone sounding less "pressed in". You can't EQ a bigger soundstage, that doesn't even make sense.

Again, for starters, if you put it that way, I prefer the new tuning of the NH (EQ)compared to the old tuning of the stock NH. Reduced bass or not, the soundstage have Improved and the bass dosent seem like it's been missing much from the old tuning. So I take it to conclude in EQ, inorder to have a final larger and better imaging/soundstage "perception" you would need to reduce the bass. Gotcha :D

May 30, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2,825 of 10,196
owowowowow, sibilance!

Tried Dale Thorn's settings with Jriver 1st and man, just can't boost 1k 12db like that!!!:

That was the reason I got rid of the HD800 though. Soundstage expansion? Hmmm, yeah but I don't have my HD800 anymore to compare. Pretty big though. I think this tuning was made for people with low to moderate listening levels.......

On another note I tried a similar tuning with iTunes EQ and switched to Brainwaves velour pads, which also expanded the soundstage:

With the velour pads and this EQ the results were even more impressive than with the stock pads, as far as soundstage and treble clarity are concerned. Classical music fans will love what this tuning does with acoustic instruments. Of course i was much less experimental with the treble than Dale Thorn and only boosted 1k about 4db. 

Fun experiment though! 

After further listening, I prefer 1khz to be plus 4db as well as 12db. With 4db everything sounds a bit more full, but 12db you get better seperation. Maybe find a good medium. Gonna play with it :D

May 30, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,826 of 10,196
Hey dude I apologize for coming across as confrontational. Audio's a personal thing and I'd be a total ass to tell you what you can and can't like. My little walnut brain just gets confused when I see people making these massive mods to headphones, y'know? :p

May 30, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #2,827 of 10,196
Interesting posts! I don't like EQ'ing, because then I have to have EQ's for each headphone on each source. Yuck. Fortunately I love the stock NH sound, so I'm good. I am quasi-tempted to try out the Brainwavz hybrid pads (that are currently on my mt220's) on the NH's for fun, but I doubt I'll like the sound any more.

May 30, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #2,828 of 10,196
  Interesting posts! I don't like EQ'ing, because then I have to have EQ's for each headphone on each source. Yuck. Fortunately I love the stock NH sound, so I'm good. I am quasi-tempted to try out the Brainwavz hybrid pads (that are currently on my mt220's) on the NH's for fun, but I doubt I'll like the sound any more.

That's kinda my theory. I listen to music through my NH from a few different sources and through multiple applications. If I started EQ'ing I'd have to futz with it in so many different places I doubt I'd ever be happy. I look for the headphones that tickle my ear right out of the box.

May 31, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #2,829 of 10,196
That's kinda my theory. I listen to music through my NH from a few different sources and through multiple applications. If I started EQ'ing I'd have to futz with it in so many different places I doubt I'd ever be happy. I look for the headphones that tickle my ear right out of the box.

There nothing wrong with NH original sound. Now that I listened through the new EQ settings for about an hour, I prefer the stock tuning of the NH. Its fun to switch it up once in awhile tho.

May 31, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,830 of 10,196
I'm another non-EQer, but it makes sense that the Nighthawks would respond so well to EQ given their driver control and low distortion.

And another (late) answer to the earphone question: I'd say the Shozy Zero, Audiofly AF180 and Noble K10 are all in the ball park in terms of good bass, quality treble and overall musicality. All have their differences from each other and the Hawks, but there are parallels.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,831 of 10,196
Can I get some ideas on cable upgrades for the Hawks? My thick stock cable has been trouble from the start. Already fixed the connector on the amp end. Now seems to have a short. So, does Moon Audio or someone offer them?

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,832 of 10,196
Fear not, you are not alone!
AudioQuest has had trouble with these cables. I ve had two new ones. The connectors are silver and become oxidized. so the connection is not made fully, making what appears to be a short. Let them know and they will replace it with a new cable they are working on. Meanwhile use a silver polish rag to make a better connection or use the skinny cable which works just fine. The new cable apparently will not be so annoying with twisting into weird bends and crooks. The new cables should be ready soon. Write them directly bt e-mail and they will respond very quickly. Great service!

Leo

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,833 of 10,196
Fear not, you are not alone!
AudioQuest has had trouble with these cables. I ve had two new ones. The connectors are silver and become oxidized. so the connection is not made fully, making what appears to be a short. Let them know and they will replace it with a new cable they are working on. Meanwhile use a silver polish rag to make a better connection or use the skinny cable which works just fine. The new cable apparently will not be so annoying with twisting into weird bends and crooks. The new cables should be ready soon. Write them directly bt e-mail and they will respond very quickly. Great service!

Leo

Thank you!
I'm the second owner so may not be able to get a replacement from AQ

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,834 of 10,196
Can't hurt to try mate! At the very least I am sure they will price it right for you. They seem like really nice guys there. Check it out and see. Did you try your skinny cable? Mine works very well indeed...almost as good as the thicker cable when it is up to snuff!
Best of luck!

Leo

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #2,835 of 10,196
Can I get some ideas on cable upgrades for the Hawks? My thick stock cable has been trouble from the start. Already fixed the connector on the amp end. Now seems to have a short. So, does Moon Audio or someone offer them?

We got cables compatible with these headphones if interested.

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/headphone.html

Select '2.5mm' under connector option. 

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back