AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2,807 of 10,196
I don't know how those sound but I am in the camp of cables make a difference and I like the sound of the Castle Rock NH primary headphone cables.. I'll replace it under warranty I guess.

Well the 1st link is for very good cables I think. They were also listed as Oppo-PM-1 cables for $99 and HD 700 cables for $79. The Sol Republic is a $59 headphone so if you search for that you'll get the exact same cable for like $13. 

May 28, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,808 of 10,196
I don't know how those sound but I am in the camp of cables make a difference and I like the sound of the Castle Rock NH primary headphone cables.. I'll replace it under warranty I guess.

cables do make a difference, but not in the way the snake oil salesmen often claim. 

May 30, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,810 of 10,196
I just tried EQ for first time through Jriver and I'm getting HD800 soundstage and imaging with the good old NH tone and timbre.

170hz minus 5db
310hz minus 3db
600hz minus 3db
1khz plus 12 dB
3khz plus 5db

and that's it. Same musicality with hd800 soundstage. loving it. Everything is alot more 3d and soundstage is very close to hd800 with NH soul and musicality.

For those that think it'll be complicating it's really really simple. A 5 year old kid can do it. (just a matter of moving a few sliders up and down in Jriver "Equalizer" setting.

P.S - Got NH eq settings from dale, a headphone reviewer from his youtube channel.

May 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #2,811 of 10,196
I just tried EQ for first time through Jriver and I'm getting HD800 soundstage and imaging with the good old NH tone and timbre.

170hz minus 5db
310hz minus 3db
600hz minus 3db
1khz plus 12 dB
3khz plus 5db

and that's it. Same musicality with hd800 soundstage. loving it. Everything is alot more 3d and soundstage is very close to hd800 with NH soul and musicality.

For those that think it'll be complicating it's really really simple. A 5 year old kid can do it.

P.S - Got NH eq settings from dale, a headphone reviewer from his youtube channel.

WOW
atsmile.gif

First Impression is very very amazing ..

Can't believe the difference , 

Am really thankful for your share  ..

May 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,813 of 10,196
owowowowow, sibilance!

Tried Dale Thorn's settings with Jriver 1st and man, just can't boost 1k 12db like that!!!:

That was the reason I got rid of the HD800 though. Soundstage expansion? Hmmm, yeah but I don't have my HD800 anymore to compare. Pretty big though. I think this tuning was made for people with low to moderate listening levels.......

On another note I tried a similar tuning with iTunes EQ and switched to Brainwaves velour pads, which also expanded the soundstage:

With the velour pads and this EQ the results were even more impressive than with the stock pads, as far as soundstage and treble clarity are concerned. Classical music fans will love what this tuning does with acoustic instruments. Of course i was much less experimental with the treble than Dale Thorn and only boosted 1k about 4db. 

Fun experiment though! 

May 30, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,814 of 10,196

170hz minus 5db
310hz minus 3db
600hz minus 3db
1khz plus 12 dB
3khz plus 5db

For those that think it'll be complicating it's really really simple. A 5 year old kid can do it. (just a matter of moving a few sliders up and down in Jriver "Equalizer" setting.

So basically you just negated literally everything about the tuning of the Nighthawk that Skylar was going for. As in... literally every single aspect of the product that he was trying to get it to do. And made it sound like a headphone that they were specifically trying to AVOID.

Good job, I guess?

May 30, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,815 of 10,196
Yes I guess, but once the headphone is bought everyone has a right to tune the sound to their preference and I'll tell you one thing, I've never heard a more EQ friendly headphone. 

This particular tuning I'm not that fond of, I must admit, but it sure was fun fiddling around with different settings. And once I reverted back to no EQ, things were sooooooooooooo smooth!

May 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,816 of 10,196
  Yes I guess, but once the headphone is bought everyone has a right to tune the sound to their preference and I'll tell you one thing, I've never heard a more EQ friendly headphone. 

This particular tuning I'm not that fond of, I must admit, but it sure was fun fiddling around with different settings. And once I reverted back to no EQ, things were sooooooooooooo smooth!

I'm not disparaging anyone for getting the sound they want out of a headphone, I just really do not understand the logic of taking a headphone like the NH and EQ'ing out all the bass and cranking the treble. There are already headphones that do that. It's like buying a Mac and then installing Windows on it... why didn't you just buy the thing that did what you wanted by default?

May 30, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,817 of 10,196

I'm not disparaging anyone for getting the sound they want out of a headphone, I just really do not understand the logic of taking a headphone like the NH and EQ'ing out all the bass and cranking the treble. There are already headphones that do that. It's like buying a Mac and then installing Windows on it... why didn't you just buy the thing that did what you wanted by default?

There IS no logic-especially with me because I have 40+ headphones, including several with that high end tuning already...........it was just fun playing around with it. I know, i know, it's probably the pinnacle of stupidity.....

May 30, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #2,818 of 10,196
  owowowowow, sibilance!

Tried Dale Thorn's settings with Jriver 1st and man, just can't boost 1k 12db like that!!!:

That was the reason I got rid of the HD800 though. Soundstage expansion? Hmmm, yeah but I don't have my HD800 anymore to compare. Pretty big though. I think this tuning was made for people with low to moderate listening levels.......

On another note I tried a similar tuning with iTunes EQ and switched to Brainwaves velour pads, which also expanded the soundstage:

With the velour pads and this EQ the results were even more impressive than with the stock pads, as far as soundstage and treble clarity are concerned. Classical music fans will love what this tuning does with acoustic instruments. Of course i was much less experimental with the treble than Dale Thorn and only boosted 1k about 4db. 

Fun experiment though! 

I just tried your EQ , much reasonable but no WOW :)
its almost like what i did except that I raised the (8k) 1-2 dB up ..

BTW ,, what velour pads you mean ?

May 30, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #2,819 of 10,196
  I just tried your EQ , much reasonable but no WOW :)
its almost like what i did except that I raised the (8k) 1-2 dB up ..

BTW ,, what velour pads you mean ?

Not wow-OWWW as in OUCH! Too much treble.

These velour pads:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464649700&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+velour+pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back