AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 26, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,791 of 10,196
I was going to ask the same question. I owned NH for a short time, but sold it cause I couldn't really get used to its one of a kind sound signature. I might have not given enough time to it.
Anyway, cut the long story short I am thinking of giving NH a second chance, as although I love my TH-X00, unfortunately my ears seem to be a bit sensitive to its slightly harsher treble. NH has infinite smoothness, which is like a balm to your ear-drums. If you can get used to the sound signature.

So, I would also appreciate, if someone could elaborate what speaker-like sound means to them, and I am also interested to hear about other people giving a second chance to NH, how did that go?

If you've ever listened to a speaker based system for any length of time, you'd know the answer. Speakers present a completely different way of listening to music - more like you hear in a concert hall. Most headphones can't/won't offer that same feeling. That's what makes the NightHawk's so special to many of us. 

May 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2,792 of 10,196
I was going to ask the same question. I owned NH for a short time, but sold it cause I couldn't really get used to its one of a kind sound signature. I might have not given enough time to it.
Anyway, cut the long story short I am thinking of giving NH a second chance, as although I love my TH-X00, unfortunately my ears seem to be a bit sensitive to its slightly harsher treble. NH has infinite smoothness, which is like a balm to your ear-drums. If you can get used to the sound signature.

So, I would also appreciate, if someone could elaborate what speaker-like sound means to them, and I am also interested to hear about other people giving a second chance to NH, how did that go?

It dosent sound like its in your head. It's comfortable and light so you don't feel like headphone is pressing down on your head. The soundstage and everything is fused enough so it mimics a room playing speakers. Enough air and recessed eniugh so it's not in your face.

May 26, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,793 of 10,196
If you've ever listened to a speaker based system for any length of time, you'd know the answer. Speakers present a completely different way of listening to music - more like you hear in a concert hall. Most headphones can't/won't offer that same feeling. That's what makes the NightHawk's so special to many of us. 

I might going to surprise you, but I did listen to speaker based systems.
And I do have a subjective idea of interpreting the differences to headphone sound.
But during my short time with NH I didn't really experience this speaker-like sound.
I am also interested in subjective impressions and interpretations of the difference rather than 'if you ever heard speakers, you must know'.
But thanks for the input.

May 26, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,794 of 10,196
I might going to surprise you, but I did listen to speaker based systems.
And I do have a subjective idea of interpreting the differences to headphone sound.
But during my short time with NH I didn't really experience this speaker-like sound.
I am also interested in subjective impressions and interpretations of the difference rather than 'if you ever heard speakers, you must know'.
But thanks for the input.

It's basically the comfort and the lightness of the headphone and the laid back (some call it recessed) mids.
Most speaker sstups, you listen 8 feet away and the speakers aren't all up in your face playing inside your head. Speakers sound more like backround music compared to some of these headphones. Like the NH.
Now if you move your chair up right against a mono speaker couple inches away from the tweeter, you have the majority of headphone sound. Not to say that NH equals a good speaker 2 channel setup, it's the closest headphone to it currently ATM.

May 26, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #2,795 of 10,196

My comments were for new comers not for who already bought it ,,

I don't mean to offense anybody but from what i see ,
this Headphone is more musical and exhale in some genera of music and it has a character of its own ..

its not a balanced headphone if new comer are looking for one

but if he want to try something different and  special , Nighthawks are good to go ..

I never said the Nighthawks are worse than LCD-X ,
I just mentioned the differences from  a more balanced higher end headphone  ,

Thats all :)

Good opinion, but I have to mention that in over 30 years of mixing records, the Nighthawk and the Oppo PM-1 are the only headphones I've ever even thought about using as a primary monitoring source. 

Just a few years ago and for the last 50+ years, mixing with headphones was completely out of the question. I've used many different high end headphones with little success because a lot of them have boosted highs and rolled off bass to enhance treble clarity. This doesn't work for pro mixing unless you compensate for that tuning-which is why for years it really didn't matter whether you used a cheap headphone or an expensive one. It was all a matter of getting used to the headphone you bought and solving how it translated. 

I had the Nighthawk save a mix for me in an $8 million+ studio a few months ago. The room was tuned on the bright side because everything sounded ok on the monitors but the song came up muddy in the Nighthawks..........so we took the mix to different sources.........car stereo, iPhone, another set of speakers, it was muddy on everything. We also compared it with other songs and it was muddy compared to them. 

So back to the drawing board and we used the Nighthawks as the PRIMARY monitoring source. Mix came out great and was night and day from the original. 

That's the danger of using bright headphones to mix-if you go by what you hear you'll get a very muddy song. If you use bass heavy cans you'll wind up with a thin, light mix. 

I understand people not thinking the Nighthawk is a balanced headphone, but all the frequencies work for me professionally in every area-bass/mids/treble. 

& that would be because a large proportion of Head Fi posters incorrectly blame their HPs for the unbalanced sound that the sources they're using with their HPs are producing.

This is why I've never specifically bought into the belief that to get the best sound from HPs you "need" to run them Balanced. This has always reminded me of putting the cart in front of the horse type of situation. As much as we say we have a preference for the electronics we use to be neutral sounding, we probably don't....

When you're using HPs on a 1 to 1 basis to monitor how the source material of what is being recorded sounds like (& you've obviously recorded things more than a few times) the "feed" of what is being played back probably Is nowhere near as "colored" sounding as most CE equipment .

Reading about others impressions on things here is entertaining & informative (sometimes), but I'm more inclined to believe that only a small amount of what I read is actually relevant to my own experiences in my
Audio hobby. I've recently rethought my stance on debating impressions that don't line up with my own & have decided (going foward) that I'm not going to spend much effort commenting on things that are entirely matters opinion & as such Subjective. (Read it & let it go ; Or thank someone for something I was'nt aware of)

May 26, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #2,796 of 10,196

As secondary headphone it is a nice addition but as primary headphone look elsewhere !

^ The above statement (and bolding, and exclamation mark) comes across like you're trying to save humanity from making the huge error of considering the NH's as a primary headphones. That's why people didn't approve of your post. The NH's are awesome primary headphones for many people

My comments were for new comers not for who already bought it ,,

I don't mean to offense anybody but from what i see ,
this Headphone is more musical and exhale in some genera of music and it has a character of its own ..

its not a balanced headphone if new comer are looking for one
but if he want to try something different and  special , Nighthawks are good to go ..

I never said the Nighthawks are worse than LCD-X ,
I just mentioned the differences from  a more balanced higher end headphone  ,

Thats all :)

At least the above comes across more like an opinion rather than a mandate.

May 27, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #2,797 of 10,196

Well, the S-EM9 is in the same league I guess with the Earsonics house sound but I feel like BA drivers are not as good as dynamic with classical, jazz and blues which I listen to quite often

U12 changed your mind? 
smile.gif
 I think my Noble K10U is good with anything.

Does Nighthawk have a similar sound signature to K10U?..

May 27, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #2,798 of 10,196
I recently purchased a balanced cable (Senn HD700 cable) for my Hawks and while there's a subtle improvement in the sound, it is very minimal. This could also be a reflection of the amplifier's single-ended vs balanced circuit quality.

For those who have also tried balanced setups, did you find it made a big difference with the Hawks? I've found some headphones (T1s) really benefit while others (Hawks, HD800s) don't seem to as much.

May 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,799 of 10,196
Had my eyes on these for a while, and I have been entertained while reading this entire thread. Sad times yesterday when the headband on my favourite cans snapped, however I perked up when I checked my favourite headphone store online.

Bear in mind NZ399 is around USD268. Gonna be there when they open at 9am this morning.

May 27, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,800 of 10,196
Had my eyes on these for a while, and I have been entertained while reading this entire thread. Sad times yesterday when the headband on my favourite cans snapped, however I perked up when I checked my favourite headphone store online.

Bear in mind NZ399 is around USD268. Gonna be there when they open at 9am this morning.

One more reason to be a happy New Zealander.

May 27, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,801 of 10,196
Anyone recommend IEMs that have a similar(ish) signature to the NH?

May 27, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,802 of 10,196
Anyone recommend IEMs that have a similar(ish) signature to the NH?

Neither are identical, but try the Cardas A8 and either the Flare R2A or Flare R2Pro - owned both and they have a similar presentation in most areas. Both iems make a big play about using technology to reduce distortion and standing wave interference too, a lot like some of the tech in the Nighthawks.
**edited to remove typos - stupid autocorrect!**

May 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,803 of 10,196

There are a few pairs left for other Kiwis who get in quick. GF shocked me when she asked if I was going to AV World. She'd heard a radio ad for the 'Hawks.

May 28, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #2,804 of 10,196
Getting realy tired of these AQ cables... this headphone cable I purchased recently again starting to drop out. It's only been 2 months. Other AQ cables too shows signs of drop outs within 6 months of purchase. Dosent matter, coaxial, optical..

May 28, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #2,805 of 10,196
Getting realy tired of these AQ cables... this headphone cable I purchased recently again starting to drop out. It's only been 2 months. Other AQ cables too shows signs of drop outs within 6 months of purchase. Dosent matter, coaxial, optical..

Get cheaper ones on Amazon, mine lasted for almost a year: 

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00LMAAS0Y/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464428133&sr=1-11&keywords=sol+republic+cable

I even got ones with microphones: 

http://www.amazon.com/replacement-Microphone-Republic-Headphone-Samsung/dp/B01A9RJ8YM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464428133&sr=1-2&keywords=sol+republic+cable

http://www.amazon.com/replacement-Microphone-Republic-Headphone-Samsung/dp/B016HDGGIS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464428133&sr=1-4&keywords=sol+republic+cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back